Frightened by Phillips. Grips with Fear

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Frightened by Phillips. Grips with Fear

Post by Brice »

I'm wanting to put heated grips on the 2013 PCX150. Upon inspecting the grips I see they are secured with my nemesis: a Phillips screw located in situation that is ripe for stripping. It just seems that it will be difficult to put as much force as needed into the screw to prevent the bit from slipping out.

Besides the a generous application of PB Blaster, is there a method/tool that use? I'm wondering if this gives me the excuse to purchase an impact drill and a new way to strip a screw.

I hope I'm overreacting, and of course I'll stop before its too far gone.

Thanks oh wise scooter sages!,
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: Frightened by Phillips. Grips with Fear

Post by Conelite »

You can always use an impact screwdriver. The brake levels on a HOnda Ruckus are 10x harder than the ones on the PCX. Impact screw driver works like a charm. I personally had zero issues removing the ones on my PCX when I changed handle bars. Use a good quality screwdriver. Preferably one with a T-Handle if you have one.

These are less than $10 at harbor freight. No need to pay top dollar for something you rarely use.
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.28.04 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 8.28.04 AM.png (388.96 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

If I recall, PCX and other Japanese bikes do not use Philips by Jis (similar but can be ruined using normal screwbits). I purchased 3 special Jis screwdrivers for $30 but have never used them, instead use normal tools but go careful, which is fine if the screw is not in too tight or blue lock-tighted.

Yeah, I know, bit of a waste buying those - maybe I will Ebay them at some point :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:27 pm If I recall, PCX and other Japanese bikes do not use Philips by Jis (similar but can be ruined using normal screwbits). I purchased 3 special Jis screwdrivers for $30 but have never used them, instead use normal tools but go careful, which is fine if the screw is not in too tight or blue lock-tighted.

Yeah, I know, bit of a waste buying those - maybe I will Ebay them at some point :)
Give the screwdriver a belt with a hammer before loosening always works for me....
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

iceman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:27 pm If I recall, PCX and other Japanese bikes do not use Philips by Jis (similar but can be ruined using normal screwbits). I purchased 3 special Jis screwdrivers for $30 but have never used them, instead use normal tools but go careful, which is fine if the screw is not in too tight or blue lock-tighted.

If you file a little of the tip of a Phillips driver it fits better. Not sure bikes made outside of Japan use JIS screw heads. They should have a little dimple on the screw head if so.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Brice »

I like that impact screwdriver. Next time I'm at HF, I'll probably grab one. A T-handle will be good add to the tool box. This one didn't need it, but I was glad to know what to do next if I ran into trouble.

I soaked the screw in PB Plaster. I gave a few taps on the screw too. I found a bit that fit really well and use a ratchet wrench for good leverage in lieu of the T. Thankfully, I no issues nor even the slightest slip getting the screw loosened.

Thanks for the suggestions!