Ignition barrel

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Bitcoin_Gav

Ignition barrel

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

Hey guys and girls hoping to get some help and advice here.

Got a 2015 Honda forza 125, Bikes been running no problem then about 2 hours after I used it earlier I want to use it again

Turned the cover plate over the ignition and put key in but now the key won’t turn at all, also I’ve tried my spare. Any ideas what it could be causing it as it’s been working fine previously amen th is is the first time I’ve had this issue

Looked for a spare ignition barrel and key set on the net to swop out myself as worse case scenario but can only find PCX 125 barrels and locks, they look identical, do you think it would fit?

Thanks I’m advance. Gavin
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Ignition barrel

Post by Coasting »

I'm only familiar with what's on the PCX, but wouldn't at all be surprised if they're the same part.

I'm guessing that you're referring to that cover plate thing that you can slide over the keyway that has to be subsequently retracted by the "hex type shape thing" on the key? If so then I don't think that would have any ability to stop a cylinder from turning.

Being a bit of an extremely amatuer locksmith (in a previous life) - my thoughts are either that it's jammed or loaded up. To mitigate the former, I'd spray a little CRC or WD40 in the keyway and try again. The only thing I can think of that would load it up would be if you'd put it in the position that stops the handle bars from being turned - and they're currently under a bit of tension (especially if the bike is parked on a bit of a slope on the side stand).

Does anything happen if you're a little more "assertive" with the key whilst trying to move the handlebars? (like don't break off or twist the key or anything though!).

Another thought - is the key going all the way into the cylinder? - it won't turn unless it's fully seated (thought it possible that some smart ass has put something in the cylinder).

Odd one!
Bitcoin_Gav

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

Coasting thanks for the reply,

Yes I was referring to then Hex key slider thing, that opens no probs it’s just once you put the key in the ignition it won’t turn and the steering lock is stuck on and can’t get past that stage.

It’s parked in the same place every day so that shouldn’t really effect it, I’ve gave up for tonight but I’m going to try WD40 first thing in the morning and I’ll try being bit more ruff with it. I was trying every possible angle with the key and my spare.

I’ll update tomorrow if I have any luck, if not I can get a whole new barrell from honda for £54, not sure if that includes néw keys aswel.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Try turning/jiggling the handlebars as you turn the key.
Check the key isn't bent.
Try the spare key.
Make sure the key is fully inserted.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Bitcoin_Gav

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

Thanks all, managed to get it working this morning after a 5minute soak with WD40 in the ignition so back on the road again.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

Excellent news!

Can't say I've ever had that issue with the ignition - but it happens every couple of years to the lock on my top box which I cure much the same way.
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

WD40 and any grease/oil/alcohol is not a good solution for any kind of locks on a long run.
The best is graphite powder. If not available, you can even scratch a tip of a soft pencil and just blow some into the lock. It works for me every time.
I've never had to use it on an ignition lock, but have used it successfully on a number of other locks.
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Christian
Year: 2019
Color: Res

Post by Christian »

Hi guys if someone could help me. I don’t used the bike for one week, today and I approached the bike to turn the ignition the lights of presence on panels doesn’t show up and the ignition it’s stuck. The lights the control is blinking when pressed so, it’s isn’t the battery control. Have someone experienced this situation? Thanks