Front flat tyre - only a few months old

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Front flat tyre - only a few months old

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:Why didn't you just plug it?
I read that after trying other means to fix a tyre, such as with the reamer, string and cement, most places do not want to attempt a plug style fix - maybe it's due to the hole being made wider or such. I did not ask if they would plug it - perhaps I should have.

Still, in future I am thinking of doing it myself - youtube videos show it's quite easy to break the seal and remove and re-install the tyre. The tricky part is pumping enough air in to seat the seal once the new tyre is fiited. Small motorised home pumps may work, if not the air supply at garages would do it. About 30-40 minutes effort, just need a few tools and rim protectors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddvpz2GtCVA
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

raito wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 pm I'm doing all right on my string plug at 4346km now.
I have added TPMS to my PCX since just 11 days ago, and today started like normal (34PSI rear.) But about halfway thru' the day, while riding, I noticed the reading on my rear tyre was just 35PSI even tho tyre temperature already up. It dropped down to 31PSI at some point, before I found time to stop at a fuel station and raise it up to 36PSI (I have seen it go up to 38PSI from 34PSI cold). But it dropped slowly down again.

So, I will just replace it first thing tomorrow as I'm not sure if I can find a patch and plug repair kit here. Just over 7766km on that rear tyre, what a waste.. I keep seeing nails, screws, bolts, nuts on the road. I hope that was the last one my tyres hit.
ImageImageImage
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Often the leak is around the valve area rather than a real puncture - sometimes the stem but mostly the core. Worth having a look to see if all is well there.
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

Thanks iceman, you prompted me to check the tyre properly to see where the leak is. So I sprayed soap on the the stem and the plug, but there were no signs of air leaking out. Got me confused, but then I spin the wheel a bit and found bubbling somewhere else! What the? Another nail!? Small this time, without the head. This nail pollution is ridiculous! 😠
ImageImageImage
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Sometimes debris and nails collect on the shoulders of roads. Whether it be in a car or m/c it can be problematic to veer right onto a shoulder in order to get around a car slowing to turn left. This is why a higher percentage of nails are found on a cars' right side tires.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

springer1 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 am Sometimes debris and nails collect on the shoulders of roads. Whether it be in a car or m/c it can be problematic to veer right onto a shoulder in order to get around a car slowing to turn left. This is why a higher percentage of nails are found on a cars' right side tires.
Or the left depending on location in the universe :)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

iceman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm
springer1 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 am Sometimes debris and nails collect on the shoulders of roads. Whether it be in a car or m/c it can be problematic to veer right onto a shoulder in order to get around a car slowing to turn left. This is why a higher percentage of nails are found on a cars' right side tires.
LoL ..... why didn't I think of that ? - I've been riding older Brit cycles with left foot shifting for almost (only) 50 years !
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Left for the centre of the Universe
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

springer1 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm
LoL ..... why didn't I think of that ? - I've been riding older Brit cycles with left foot shifting for almost (only) 50 years !
DUH - I mean RIGHT FOOT SHIFT. - brain's getting old !!!!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 am
springer1 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:53 pm
iceman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:30 pm Or the left depending on location in the universe :)
DUH - I mean RIGHT FOOT SHIFT. - brain's getting old !!!!!
It all depends which way so are sitting.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

LoL - thanks for the laughs, You !