Headlight question ?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Headlight question ?

Post by easyrider »

When high beams are selected should the low beams stay on as well? or should the low beams switch off when the high beams are selected? Curious as my new LED bulbs low beams stay on in concert when high beams are selected. When low beams selected the high beams are off.These are single bulbs with two circuits used in honda forza.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: Headlight question ?

Post by Mel46 »

Wait! You have a 2013 PCX with LED bulbs?? Where did you get those?

I have a 2013 model and there are no HS5 LED bulbs to be had.I have looked. So have many many others. The only ones left online have to be purchased in LOTS of 200.

On the subject at hand, on standard bulbs when the high beam goes on, the low beam goes off. My car has separate bulbs for high beam and low beam, so the same applies for them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Mel, they were pricey .........Recently bought the OEM bulbs [2] for about $49.00 delivered, from RevZilla. Amazing what Honda wants for
just one [near $67.42] as of today. Actually was near $80.00 when I ordered mine! Not like the PCX is a rare scooter......Maybe since the "newer" models have Led's??
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Standard HS5 bulbs thatnormally go in the 2011 thru 2013 PCX are halogen . I have a drawer full of them. Why they cost so much makes no sense to me, unless they are not used on any other model of Honda model.

The website alibaba.com has the only LED versions left available anywhere, but you have to purchase them in a minimum of 100. Buying that many at a time at $15 each is $150 plus shipping. That makes $80 for those you just purchased look like a bad deal.

Look at the picture and you will see the difference between the standard bulb and the LED version.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/621192798 ... x140xz.jpg
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Maybe we could get a group of us together and buy a batch of the bulbs (100 minimum order required) ,and sell them for $25 each plus shipping. Since you would need two of them at a time, and we would have already taken our sets out for our bikes, there would be less than 50 sets of LED conversion bulbs available anywhere for 2011 thru 2013... and some 2014 - 2015 non- led PCX models.

Yes, there are other led bulbs sold on the web, but keep in mind that the bulbs have to fit the 35/30W requirements set by Honda. These are the only ones that I know of that do fit those requirements. Anyway, it's a thought.

Meanwhile, if anyone needs just a regular replacement HS5 bulb, pm me.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

I looked for them with Google and found them at AliExpress.com prices ranging from €8.71 for two bulbs with free shipment here's the link for the Google page
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Actually got the oem bulbs through RevZilla [$49.00 for 2] At the time I purchased, Honda wanted near $80.00 for just one bulb.
As of yesterday, "only" $67.42 for one bulb. What a deal,huh? Have bought the Alibaba bulbs and or AliExpress bulbs in the past'
They are junk....at least that has been my experience. Was curious if the LED's will be satisfactory with the 2011/2013 reflectors?
Seem to remember a member saying they didn't properly focus the LED light?? Thanks for the offer Mel.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I believe that those who mentioned the led bulbs not focusing correctly had install 50 watt bulbs instead of the 45/30 as required by Honda. There were other problems as well, eventually causing him to pull the led bulbs.

Most of us have installed aux led lights instead of trying to fit ones not recommended.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If they are aftermarket bulbs its perfectly possible that high/low could be on together because the bulbs will likely have miniature electronic controls inside them.

Use the correct bulbs for a proper beam behaviour and pattern.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Correct me if I am wrong but beam behavior and pattern are controlled by the lens.
Worked being a projectionist in an old movie theater using carbon arc as a light source.
Kept me on my toes, had two projectors side by side loaded with reel #1 and reel #2 and when it was time a series of dots would appear on the top
of the screen to let me know when to switch to #2. If I manged to get that right without anyone stamping their feet and burning a hole in the film
got to rewind roll#1 and replace the carbon rod in projector #1 .
2021 now and manufactures seem to want to make the the simple task of replacing a bulb harder than my job 50 years ago?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

The aftermkt bulbs I installed state for Honda Forza 300 as fitment protocol, however the both beams stay on when high beams are selected. I checked the amperage draw and with both H/L on together they show .75 amp draw. Less than the halogen stock bulbs. They state 35 watt same as the halogen but claim brighter and whiter. They are protected by a 10 amp fuse in the box.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I wonder if the 35/30W means startup current for the lights. That would be the time they would have their highest draw, though it seems to me that LED bulbs would have less draw than halogen. Anyone have any ideas on these numbers?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

relic wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but beam behavior and pattern are controlled by the lens.
You're partially correct.
Position of the bulb element relative to the lens and the direction light radiates from the element also play their part.
LED bulb elements are always in the wrong position, its not possible to make them with the elements in the same position and output light in the same way as the element(s) in a regular headlamp bulb.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:
relic wrote:Correct me if I am wrong but beam behavior and pattern are controlled by the lens.
You're partially correct.
Position of the bulb element relative to the lens and the direction light radiates from the element also play their part.
LED bulb elements are always in the wrong position, its not possible to make them with the elements in the same position and output light in the same way as the element(s) in a regular headlamp bulb.
Not sure if thats all together true as the LED bulbs have a rotational ring that can be rotated in relation to the headlight lens.The ones I have are designed for the Honda forza specifically so they say. ?? I dont think the factory bulbs operate with both beams on to avoid an excessive amount of heat. Halogens get really intense and not so much with LED bulbs .Thats why I think they run them both together when on high beam setting.Its just not a problem.
However, I am curious as to what 35 watt means . When I ran an amperage draw I got .75 amps in total on the meter both bulbs on high beam setting.. If the decimal point on the gauge is misread then lets say 7.5 amps that would equate to 90 watts or 45 watts each bulb.. That would make sense. If someone could do an amp test on another bike would be nice to see what typically is correct??
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:I dont think the factory bulbs operate with both beams on to avoid an excessive amount of heat.
They don't run with both elements on because the design specification for the bulb places the dip and full beam elements in their own fixed positions and it is this change in position from one to the other which determines the change to the beam pattern.
Ergo there is no need to have both elements on at the same time.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

..and conversely there is no issue with having both on ?? except more visibility, providing of course the wattage is not exceeded.
More concerned about the wattage. What does 35 watts mean on the specs when they only use 8 watts or so of power. I wonder what others are getting in regards to amp or wattage draw in actuality.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

https://youtu.be/rQdpL9Unci4 (Skip to about 5:00 ) What about wattage?? Actual watts in real time.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you can get both beams on with halogen bulbs in a modern scooter you run the risk of melting the headlamp lens.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I would certainly believe that about halogen bulbs. They get HOT. But I have no idea how hot led bulbs get, aside from the fact that all of the automobile LED headlight bulbs have little fans and cooling fins builtin. Even then, they eventually burn out.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

easyrider, Hi!
I'm moving your thread to: Forza 300 Technical. Members will understand now without asking question(s) - PCX or Forza?
(Mel, got it! I read here earlier where you asked, "on a '13 PCX?") WN
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You