Leaking coolant from weep hole

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Biichi
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Leaking coolant from weep hole

Post by Biichi »

Hello! This is my first post on the forums. I've used it as a resource since July of this year, but I've finally decided to create an account :)

I bought a used 2014 Honda Forza 300 in the US (California). It had 4400 miles and I've put on 1200 so far, loving it!

I've found that I'm leaking green coolant from the water pump's weep hole. Reading some more information, it seems to be a common problem for earlier Forza models. Looking through the service manual, it says that the mechanical seal (part 19217-MAL-300) is the culprit and needs to be replaced. Has anyone done this themselves or taken it to a shop?

Thanks so much!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Leaking coolant from weep hole

Post by gn2 »

Had mine done under warranty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Likely that someone used incorrect coolant containing silicates which will damage the seals Honda uses.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

springer1 wrote:Likely that someone used incorrect coolant containing silicates which will damage the seals Honda uses.
Nope, it eas an assembly issue, a number of Forzas did it within their first year, long before a coolant change.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Mine leaked enough that all the crap sealed the wrap hole.

The bottom of my 2014 Forza 300 is a mess and best not to clean it off.

Mine was a very, very early production model.

But 143,400 km (89,000 miles) on it so I am not complaining too loudly but MORE POWER would always be welcome.
Biichi

Post by Biichi »

I've attached an image of the parts that I believe are necessary to fix the leaking coolant/oil. Am I missing anything or would this be all? Right crankcase gasket, water pump gasket, 2 seals, 2 washers, pump shaft, impeller.... anything else?

3 local shops all gave me different labor rates; $270, $330, and $450 :? I'll call a few Honda dealerships and see what they charge.

They've gotta drain the fluids, remove the muffler, right crankcase, water pump, and then assemble the new water pump pieces.
Attachments
20201027_165612.jpg
20201027_165612.jpg (234.13 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I suspect Honda will charge more.

Have you tried using additives that claim to stop leaks. Sometimes they work. Bit of a bodge but cheap to try.
Biichi

Post by Biichi »

$290 for the labor at a Honda dealership, $25 for the coolant, and around $100 in parts. Total cost for the water pump rebuild = $415. No leaks yet!

But, the Honda dealership seemed to forget to fill the coolant reserve tank... bone dry. Guess I'm going back tomorrow!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Biichi wrote:$290 for the labor at a Honda dealership, $25 for the coolant, and around $100 in parts. Total cost for the water pump rebuild = $415. No leaks yet!

But, the Honda dealership seemed to forget to fill the coolant reserve tank... bone dry. Guess I'm going back tomorrow!

Don't take your wallet and insert a cork.