Left Hand Indicators stopped working

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

AdsxAds
Year: 2014
Color: white

Left Hand Indicators stopped working

Post by AdsxAds »

Hi there,

Have just recently bought a 2014 PCX150 all great love it. However this week left side indicators stopped working.
No light on the dash, no front nor rear lights and also no noise/ action coming from the relay.
Before I try to check out bulbs etc can anyone help explain.

Thanks
Adam
AdsxAds

Re: Left hand indicators stopped working.

Post by AdsxAds »

BTW. right side indicators and horn working.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Some turn signal relays are two pin and some are three pin. The turn signal relay is under the black dash cover. On the non-LED models there were only two wires so they shared the same wire going into the relay. However, the LED models have at least three wires to the relay, which means that one side of the relay could stop working while the other side still worked. You will need to determine which type you have. Do you have a LED model PCX?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AdsxAds

Post by AdsxAds »

Thanks Mel46 I have the Led model. And after a good nights sleep decided to check at the Handle Bar switch, opened and checked current into each side etc and found that after a clean and some WD40 left hand working again.
So all good, thanks.
Also means I don't have to disassemble front head to check the bulbs or relay.

Thanks for the help

Ads
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well the relay itself takes 5 minutes to get to. Here is what you would do, should you ever decide to look under there.
1. Remove the collar that hides the 4 bolts that hold the windshield on. That means removing 2 screws and popping the collar off with a trim tool.
2. Remove the windshield. To do that, remove the 4 bolts that hold it on.
3. Pop the black cover off that covers the dash. It is held on by the 4 'sockets' that the bolts screwed into that held the windshield on, so use a trim tool to pop it loose on one side. It will then just come off with little trouble.
4. The relay is sitting there 'in the hole. Easy to see and easy to change.

Come winter you should try it just so that you could get familiar with how to do it. There is lots of room under that cover. That is where I stuffed my Bad Boy Air Horn. Now that was a tight fit. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
AdsxAds

Post by AdsxAds »

Thanks I'll consider the air horn.
A
MiVe77

Post by MiVe77 »

Hi, problem is in 6 pin or 20 pin LED control unit, in 6 pin is ground for HI, ground for left and right turn signal...
you must take the contact cleaner and use it to clean the pins...
I used it and problem is not...
it's only a week, but it still works...

Sorry, but I speak little English... google translator is my friend...
aphid
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Pearl Siena Red

Post by aphid »

As described in this ‘old’ thread, the left indicator of my 2013 125 PCX has just stopped working. The right side is fine.
Nothing obvious happened to my knowledge. Can anyone suggest anything for me to fix this please? Clearly my model is a non-LED version.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

aphid wrote:As described in this ‘old’ thread, the left indicator of my 2013 125 PCX has just stopped working. The right side is fine.
Nothing obvious happened to my knowledge. Can anyone suggest anything for me to fix this please? Clearly my model is a non-LED version.
I have a 2013 PCX. Start with the easy stuff, the lightbulbs. Our PCX model year uses a two pin flasher relay, so if one side works then the flasher should be good. If the lightbulbs are good I would check the turn signal switch on the handlebar. Unfortunately I have had two switches on my PCX suffer from poor contact, some contact cleaner might help. When my emergency engine stop switch stopped working, I flicked it back and forth a few times and that seemed to fix it. I just noticed that you are from the UK, so you don't have the red engine stop switch, it would be your idle stop switch.

Since you are from the UK, moisture might be an issue. Check the lightbulb sockets for any rust, specially on the ground wire going to them. A while ago I did a turn signal conversion, on my US spec PCX, to go from the lollipop turn signals to the in headlight turn signals. I bought a used UK PCX headlight wiring loom for the conversion and noticed quite a bit of rust on the grounding wire attached to the bulb socket. The grounding wire is only held on by being squeezed in between the metal bulb socket and the plastic bulb outer plug that attaches to the headlight housing.

Good luck

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aphid wrote:As described in this ‘old’ thread, the left indicator of my 2013 125 PCX has just stopped working. The right side is fine.
Have you checked the bulbs?
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

you you wrote:
Ive not tried anything yet. Only happened yesterday afternoon. With very limited knowledge checking the bulbs would be the logical start point. That said, it made no sense to me that both bulbs would both blow at once, hence me asking for guidance.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Gil wrote:
I have a 2013 PCX. Start with the easy stuff, the lightbulbs. Our PCX model year uses a two pin flasher relay, so if one side works then the flasher should be good. If the lightbulbs are good I would check the turn signal switch on the handlebar.....
Since you are from the UK, moisture might be an issue. Check the lightbulb sockets for any rust...
Thanks for your reply, Gil.

I think I’ll start with the signal switch on the handlebar first. It seems the easiest and most logical cause to try first. Bulbs next. I have manuals saved somewhere so i assume these will show me how to get at both potential causes?
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Left Hand Indicators stopped working

Post by aphid »

Can anyone explain how to remove/get into this part of the handlebar switch unit, please? I want to check the contact points which I hope are hidden in here, since the left indicator lights have stopped working.
Attachments
20984B38-EB62-41DC-A549-990EA5F32B4E.jpeg
20984B38-EB62-41DC-A549-990EA5F32B4E.jpeg (181.42 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
6584363C-2227-4A89-9754-AE6DB30621DB.jpeg
6584363C-2227-4A89-9754-AE6DB30621DB.jpeg (165.62 KiB) Viewed 2084 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

In the UK, maybe europe too, Honda sent out a safety recall for 2015 year PCX's - Turn Signal, Hazard Signal, Safety and High Beam do not light when switches operated - LFU (Led Control Unit failure).

Honda automatically send such notices to registered owners to the address they gave when purchasing. Today I received my third notification letter (the past year) to take my bike to a dealer for the free repair, which needs to be booked in. Repair is estimated at approx 35 minutes. I suppose I should do that but so far have not bothered.

Not sure what the fault with the LFU actually is and I cannot recall seeing anyone post here or on FB before with an actual issue with the LFU.

Being a 150 and from Australia, your model may not be affected.
ONTWOWHEELS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: WHITE

Post by ONTWOWHEELS »

In Greece Honda sent out a safety recall for 2015-2016 year PCX's too.
It was done last year to both the PCX's i own. One 125 (2015) and one 150 (2016).
LFU was changed with new without any cost at all.

The fault was that when you put the hazard lights on, they did't work both sides but only the right one.
The same with the left sign signal.
Everything is fine ever since the LFU was changed.
HONDA PCX 125 /2015 - HONDA PCX 150/2016
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

iceman wrote:In the UK, maybe europe too, Honda sent out a safety recall for 2015 year PCX's - Turn Signal, Hazard Signal, Safety and High Beam do not light when switches operated - LFU (Led Control Unit failure).
Thanks, Iceman and Ontwowheels. I read something about this but it isn’t something that affects my UK 2013 PCX 125. Thanks for the heads up, though.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

aphid wrote:
you you wrote:
Ive not tried anything yet. Only happened yesterday afternoon. With very limited knowledge checking the bulbs would be the logical start point. That said, it made no sense to me that both bulbs would both blow at once, hence me asking for guidance.
You really need to check the bulbs first.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

you you wrote:
You really need to check the bulbs first.
From what i see, indicator lights are different on US versions of the PCX (maybe other countries, too?)....the type that stick out sideways like antennae front and back..? Accessing the bulbs in these looks very straightforward and a sensible starting point. However, accessing indicator bulbs on the UK version isn’t so straightforward...hence tackling the switch unit first. Just a couple of screws.

I still don't think both left side indicator bulbs would just blow at the same time. Time will tell.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

You could check the continuity on the plug with a voltmeter.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
aphid
Regular User
Regular User

Post by aphid »

Left side indicator lights are now working again! :D

Although I would like to know how to access the switch compartment at the back I sprayed a little WD40 onto the contacts of the red ‘socket’ before reconnecting then sprayed WD40 down the sides of the actual switch on the front and moved left and right numerous times. To my pleasant surprise the indicator lights now work again when selected.

Many thanks for the help and suggestions offered. Any guidance to access the switch compartment would be appreciated so that I can thoroughly clean what must be dodgy contacts within.