Belt chatter?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

skrusich
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

Belt chatter?

Post by skrusich »

I have 6300 mi on my 2017 PCX. 300 mi ago I scuffed the belt and pulleys and sprayed heavily with BrakeKleen to eliminate the belt stutter when accelerating from a stop. The belt looked fine. It worked for a few hundred miles and is starting again. Perhaps I should have done something different?

Advice will be appreciated!
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Belt chatter?

Post by mymitzi »

Are you sure its the belt? When you had it apart to "treat" the belt, did you happen to take the clutch Bell off and clean the dust out of it?
One good thing about the PCX belt, its very reasonable [$30.00 or so ] I'd clean the dust off the bell and the clutch pads and throw a new
belt on it........if it was mine. [BrakeKleen would work for the clutch cleaning]
skrusich
Color: Pearl White

Post by skrusich »

I did not take the bell off but I dispensed almost a whole can of BrakeKleen thro all the bell openings.

I scuffed both sides of the belt with light sandpaper soaked in BrakeKleen, used a rag soaked in BK to clean both pulley surfaces.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

On my 2013 PCX 150, I ended up replacing the clutch bell with a textured surface one. Smooth engagement now.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Saturating the clutch assembly with solvents .....isn't there some lubricant in there trying to work?

Fish
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

fish wrote:Saturating the clutch assembly with solvents .....isn't there some lubricant in there trying to work?
Fish
Yes, but only really in one part and that is in the three grooves around the spindle of the driven face. Although capped off and none should leak into the chamber, no good to blindy spray cleaner in that area.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

fish wrote:Saturating the clutch assembly with solvents .....isn't there some lubricant in there trying to work?

Fish
yeah probably not the smartest thing. Clutch assembly bushing need grease.....

OP, is it belt chatter or clutch chatter? What about stiffer clutch springs? Groove the clutch pads to allow more slip and not bog the engine down. Im assuming its vibrating when you leave the line? It vibrates?
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator