2019 NCY Variator/Drive face upgrade - no improvement at all

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Re: 2019 NCY Variator/Drive face upgrade - no improvement at

Post by Conelite »

Gil wrote:I didn't catch that you installed the drive face too on your PCX. I wonder if that means that the stock variator and drive face is better than the NCY variator kit. The yellow coating also fell of on the my old NCY variator.
Its not that, Its just that the newer models have shorter gears so even with an aftermarket Variator and DF you still cant get higher speeds without changing gearing or removing the limiter.

Here is the image of the transmission/Gearing diagram for reference.
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.46.34 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 10.46.34 AM.png (527.86 KiB) Viewed 1832 times
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

2019PCX150_PA_USA wrote:Thats the thing, I do have the outer drive face and no change in top speed if anything it has dropped to ~66mph. This is rev limited top speed too. I thought going too light on the rollers did impact top speed? Maybe the 2019 is different because it should have 15g stock if I'm recalling correctly but it has 17g rollers. The 14g rollers were too light and made it sound like it was screaming but need to verify with a tach. I'm currently running the 17g stock rollers in the NCY variator and drive face. Maybe a slight acceleration improvement but thats it. I was hoping for ~75mph even if it was flat and fully tucked since I'm 165# this should be realistic. I think the better option would be machining the stock variator and drive face if there is anyone out there doing that.
But did you install the rollers in the proper direction??

There's a video somewhere around here. But if you notice, the rollers have more polymer on one side than the other. If the variator is laying in front of you, looking at the top-most slot to hold the rollers, that roller'polymer should have to the left.

Mine were likely installed backward from factory, and my used bike couldn't go more than 60 mph when I first bought it.

I'm definitely gonna keep the old variator around, tho... On case in ends up looking like yours!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is my understanding... And please correct me if I am wrong... that Honda lowered the cc's at some point, 2019 or 2020 perhaps?? The newest PCX has 149cc's while the older ones have 153cc's. That, as well as a gearing change, will affect what can be done in "aftermarket performance". I have to wonder why they decided to mess with that perfectly good engine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Roller oriantation should make no difference from new as both surfaces have polymer touching the variator walls. The correct way is supposed to be so that the 'thinner' side does not wear out and mark the variator wall surface.

After 18,000 miles mine had flat bits - but I still got 130mpg and noticed no difference at all around town at 30-45mph with new rollers installed in the correct manner. Both sides also had polymer and had not worn. I never ride WOT but I doubt putting new rollers in the 'wrong' way would make any difference.

All the worn rollers I've seen pictures of show flat bits but I've not seen ones with the thinner side worn to metal.
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

iceman wrote: I never ride WOT but I doubt putting new rollers in the 'wrong' way would make any difference.
I was going to call BS on the 130MPG but then I read this line and makes sense. ha ha ha ha.
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Conelite wrote:
iceman wrote: I never ride WOT but I doubt putting new rollers in the 'wrong' way would make any difference.
I was going to call BS on the 130MPG but then I read this line and makes sense. ha ha ha ha.
Lot sof people get 130+mpg - check fuelly.com and other posts - I get that and now ride faster than I used to (some 40mph riding compared to max 30 on town roads in london). Highest I got was 145+ - real fuel in vs trip miles using slightly better fuel and going from fill to the brim to not much left at all - low fuel flashing for 10miles but still believe it had 15 more :)
westly197
Color: Candy red

Post by westly197 »

I have a 2013 with just over 20K miles and just upgraded to the NCY Variator, drive face, 13G rollers, and new belt - what difference instantly. I had a previous hit the rev limiter at around 63 MPH, very annoying having it pulsate as it bounces off the rev limiter. The pulsing was more of an issue than speed, I’d end up going 55 just to avoid it. Recently I’ve been hitting the rev limiter at jus over 60, topping out at 61 MPH, so it was time for a change.

Having done the work a few times before it only took about 20 minutes to swap the parts out. Right out of the box I’m hitting over 75 MPH, not sure how much faster I could go as traffic limited any more speed, but I never hit the rev limiter and was still gaining down a hill when traffic prevented me form any more acceleration. I’m very happy with the result, it’s slightly faster up hills and at takeoff, but only slightly as I had 14G rollers before. The big difference is no rev limiter and up to 15 MPH faster. A lot places where I was going 60, I can now happily cruse at 65, no pulsing, and lower RPM. In my case this was a very worthwhile upgrade, best yet. The City Grip front tire was a nice upgrade from the Dunlop too, made great improvement in handling and smoothed out things a lot. Now just waiting on my new seat on a slow boat from Thailand.
scooterbro11
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by scooterbro11 »

think i did the math correctly on the above years and the gearing and i would say the 2019 has the tallest gearing. not what ive always heard, but if you calculate how many times the drive shaft turns for each 1 turn of the final gear (rear wheel also which it is directly attached to the final gear shaft), its: 2013 - 10.55 turns 2018 - 10.75 turns 2019 - 10.08 turns. more turns would be shorter gearing more power less top end, less turns would be taller gearing with less power and more top end. I'm open to being wrong here on my math with the above gears, but thats what i get.
scooterbro11
Year: 2020
Color: red

Post by scooterbro11 »

correction to my 2019 turns... make that 9.85, even taller i think
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The 150cc manual for 2013-2017 models gives final reduction for 2013 models of 10.552 and 2014-2017 of 10.751, all 153cc across the range. Not got the 125 manual to hand. So your calculations match the official honda doc's for 2013-2017.

Not sure about 2019 versions but the 2021 specs seem to suggest even the 125's (all we can but in the UK) have more power than before.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

2021 models have the more efficient 4 valve head from the nss125 forza, that's why they are more powerful than previous 2 valve 125 models.
Also the 153cc vs 149cc is a change to optimize model range. Manyarkets have a tax, insurance licence limit at 150cc, however in Italy the minimum requirement to ride on the highway is a minimum of 153cc. As Italy is the largest scooter market in Europe, Honda used to have the over 150cc model for Italy and provided that to the rest of the Western world where it does not matter, making the production numbers a bit higher to increase manufacturing efficiency, and had sub 150cc for the rest of the world where it matters. There is no measureable difference in performance between the 149 and 153cc models. As by now Honda has multiple power levels of scooters more suitable for highway driving, they seem to have dropped the 153cc model to simplify the model lineup.