Honda sh 150i 2016 Wont start and Headlight wont turn on

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dantedmc3

Honda sh 150i 2016 Wont start and Headlight wont turn on

Post by dantedmc3 »

Hello!
So as i mention in the title my sh150i 2016 wont start at all and the headlight wont turn on at all. No high or low beam. Although the front two lights are always on which is normal. Everything else works normal as far as i can tell. At least i have not seen anything else that is wrong. Headlight should work even without bike running, right ? High and low beam.
Headlight switch seems to work. I do measure some voltages at the three pins for the headlight. And they do change when i press the high low beam switch. I have tested the bulb with the battery and it works fine.
The side stand works fine and tested. Checked all fuses one by one. I haven't checked the cables of the brake switches but both sound fine when they click and whats the chance of both of them failing. And what could it have to do with the headlights anyways. Bike currently has no plastics on it, i have disassembled everything to try and check for cable problems. It doesn't have a kill switch which might be faulty only a start switch which works fine. It has an idle switch but that also seems fine.
When pressing the start switch should the headlight turn off so that all power is used for the starter ? The problem must be connected somehow. Meaning that there must be only one fault causing both problems. There are two relays in the fuse box. Im not entirely sure what these both are. When removing the small one nothing gets power at all. Removing the bigger one everything that is still working seems to still work. Headlight still wont turn on. Im not sure if this bigger one is the starter relay ? I have tested it with voltage and it certainly clicks. But have not tested further for ohm readings. I should mention that when the key is turned to the ignition i can hear the gas pump running as normal. I dont think i hear any relay clicking when i press the starter switch. No sound at all.
I dont think i have missed anything. My next step is to somehow check the cables and see if somehow i find something strange. Something to do with ground possibly. And lastly the small starter motor itself might be faulty ?
I cant find a wiring diagram for this model. Anyways... ideas are welcome.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Honda sh 150i 2016 Wont start and Headlight wont turn on

Post by springer1 »

Rule out simple stuff like a weak battery (or poor battery terminal connections) first. In some instances, a weak battery or poor terminal connections provide enough strength to energize devices requiring minimal draw, but not others that require more. Check the terminals and charge the battery for 30 minutes or so and see what happens - or just measure it to begin with.
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

I have used a different battery on my tests because im aware this might be a thing. But i will go to the trouble to make sure its charged even tho i think its ok.
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

Well i found the culprit. There was nothing wrong with the bike whatsoever. Apparently you need to give the left lever for the back brake the death squeeze and then press the start switch to turn it on...
The left lever has 2 spots where it clicks. The first click happens with very little pull on the lever and activates the brake lights and the second click happens with A LOT of pull on it. I swear you have to press really hard to get to the point of the second click.
I did not even know such a mechanism existed, maybe its only on the SH model ? Dunno.
Well bike is back together all plastic covers back on and no screws left over.
Oh and the headlight turns on only after the bike is running...
Everything works fine now.
Not the original owner otherwise i would have known... Its under my hands under peculiar circumstances.
Anyways MAYBE this saves someone a lot of trouble in the future lol
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Nice going with reporting your progress & findings !
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So it was the ignition safety device?
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

you you wrote:So it was the ignition safety device?
Well if it is called that then yes. They are just momentary switches i think.
I was just unaware there is such a thing. On all bikes i can remember once you activate the brake light the starter circuit closes and you can start the bike with the start switch. On this model there is a second switch only on the left lever which is activated when you press on the lever more. And that closes the starter circuit and you can start the bike... Its just that you have to press really hard to get to that point. And i find it a bit weird pressing so much to start the bike. But once you are used to it its fine !
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Our Forza is the same as this.
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

Limey wrote:Our Forza is the same as this.
Never had one of those! :lol: :D