Ordered a new windscreen

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Ordered a new windscreen

Post by Old Grinner »

Generally I average around 81 MPG on my XMax but have seen 90 MPG . . . though not often.

I use regular 87 octane (91 RON) and just add a bit of Startron fuel additive to reduce phasing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I owned the Burgman 400 I only took it to the dealer for service the first time, and there was a very good reason for that.

I have related this story before, but for new members here it is. I bought it from a family member whose father bought it and then had a heart attack before it was delivered. Once it was delivered to the farm it was rolled into the barn and forgotten. It had a whole 2 miles on it. It sat there for 6 years. Eventually someone decided to clean out the barn and found it under a tarp.

I bought it and had it trailered to my favorite dealer. They did a full service, changed the tires (to Michelin City Grips), and cleaned it up. It was essentially a brand new scooter...but 6 years old. I ordered a Givi tall windshield and tail box, and then enjoyed the ride.

I had to think long and hard before trading it in. If I could have kept it, I would have, but space was limited so I could only have one, since my wife also had a scooter, a PCX 150...which we still have. The Burgman had everything I could ask for on a scooter, and it could run on freeways just as easily as on back roads.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

The new windscreen from National Cycle is now installed. It is moderately high but not so high that I would have to look through it, i.e., I still look over it. There is no question that it reduces wind force on my chest (I rode the scooter home from my mechanic who installed the screen for me, a ride of about 23 miles, mostly at speeds of 45 to 55). But I think that the wind buffeting around my helmet was undiminished or possibly even increased as compared to the stock scooter without a windscreen. Whether or not the overall effect was worth the cost and the change is not something I can yet really answer. But its done, and I know that in cooler weather it will certainly make a nice difference by keeping the force of the wind off my torso.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Some members have also added an adjustable extender for their windshield, like the ones featured below. I think ebay had them the cheapest.

https://www.pazomaracing.com/products/c ... 4cQAvD_BwE

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233243417673
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

After a few rides with the tall National Cycle windscreen I am convinced that it was a good choice. The buffeting to my chest is almost nonexistent now. And a strange added benefit: the scooter now goes faster. With the stock scooter the fastest I could get it to go was 64. Now, with this taller windscreen, it seems to be creating less rather than more resistance to the wind and without extra effort I am now able to get the scoot to 67 mph (flat terrain, calm winds). I didn't buy the PCX for speed, but having those few extra mph available is always nice.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
FrogmanDave
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Red

Post by FrogmanDave »

I don't post much here so I couldn't PM you Vito. I just picked up a 2020 PCX. I am looking to replace the stock wind screen(if you can call it that). All I can find are listed as fitting 2014-2018 machines. I have called Partzilla and similar to inquire as to something that will fit a 2020. They can't give me an answer as to when a windscreen will be available for 2019-2020 models. You implied here that you installed a windscreen on your 2019. I am assuming you bought one that fits the 2018 and prior. I am aware that the windscreen IS different on the newer models. So my question is, what did the mechanic have to do to get it installed? Any info will be very helpful.
2020 PCX 150 Candy Luster Red
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

FrogmanDave wrote:I don't post much here so I couldn't PM you Vito. I just picked up a 2020 PCX. I am looking to replace the stock wind screen(if you can call it that). All I can find are listed as fitting 2014-2018 machines. I have called Partzilla and similar to inquire as to something that will fit a 2020. They can't give me an answer as to when a windscreen will be available for 2019-2020 models. You implied here that you installed a windscreen on your 2019. I am assuming you bought one that fits the 2018 and prior. I am aware that the windscreen IS different on the newer models. So my question is, what did the mechanic have to do to get it installed? Any info will be very helpful.
I bought the National Cycle windscreen based on the recommendation of my mechanic, who is a certified Honda motorcycle mechanic (although he specializes in Goldwings). I have no idea what he did to install it but he said it was an easy job.

HOWEVER, the bottom line is that now that I have had the chance to ride more than a bit with this modification, this somewhat large windscreen is not nearly as much of a change as I had hoped it would be. As I stated earlier, it does seem to block some of the wind that would otherwise be hitting my chest, but does nothing to block the wind hitting my face/helmet. I usually am wearing a 3/4 Bell helmet when riding the PCX and at any speed over about 35 mph I feel the need to keep the face shield in the fully down position. Overall, I am not sure that it was worth the approximately $200 cost for the windscreen and the installation.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

To relieve the pressure of the wind hitting your face you can purchase the adjustable "lip" that attaches to the top of your windshield, and adjust it until you feel the most comfortable. I know of multiple riders who have and are using them, and they are quite happy with them. They really are not that expensive now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Thanks. I just ordered one from E-bay. Worth a try at that price.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT