The Harley "Livewire"

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

The Harley "Livewire"

Post by Old Grinner »

The other day I watched a lengthy video about the new electric Harley "Livewire".

Here's a link to the product description on the Harley page . . ..

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/m ... egoryCodes

Here's a link to the video . . .. It's about a half hour long.

My take away from the video was that it reminded me of a maxi-scooter (with no storage) and a long list of features to manipulate on the display . . . or associated phone aps. With the right equipment the battery can charge in about an hour. Although others have taken the Livewire on the "long haul" there's always that nagging thought about "Where can I charge this thing?". Gas stations are plentiful . . . charging stations not so much. Is every Harley dealer within 100 miles of each other? I dunno. And would there be a line at their charging stations on a sunny weekend?

Basically, although the torque is phenomenal and speed/range adequate, especially for large metropolitan areas, I would still prefer an 883 Iron. But that's just me . . ..

The Sportster would be about 1/3 the price, have some grunt, and echo that legendary Harley cadence of the engine. In essence it would be an experience. 8)

TBH, and maybe because I'm no "spring chicken", I found the features and gimmicks of the display to be too much like work. And basically it would clog my brain with TMI. It's nice to have access to the info but at the end of the day isn't getting on a bike a quest for freedom . . . and transportation? Just keep the machine in good shape and get on it and ride. :D

I dunno. I've seen the onslaught of technology invade the home front and our daily lives in many ways and as I've heard somewhere before, "The more complicated our toys become the less fun they are . . ..".

I can understand the concerns about the environment but I really don't think motorcycles and scooters are the main cause of Global Warming. I think the focus should be on converting larger platforms to all electric . . . cars, trucks, and SUVs. Let's not forget trains and boats too I guess (why so many large gas guzzling boats just for personal use?). Then again, the power plants that provide the electricity need to be environmentally friendly. I don't see oil or coal fired power plants as being environmentally friendly. But hydro electric, wind, solar, and as long as it's properly maintained and spent fuel properly dispositioned even a nuclear power plant is cleaner.

Just my two cents.

I'm not one to stand in the way of progress. But, I do think there is something to be said for the Zen experience of "letting go" and concentrating on the ride. That said you still need to maintain an awareness of any dangers that may surface.

I salute the engineers and contributors to the Livewire project for producing a fantastic product. It's just not for me . . .. :geek:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Re: The Harley "Livewire"

Post by big bear »

electric bikes would be good if you live where you could ride it to work everyday. For me im only able to ride on my days off and my x max only uses 32oz of gas per ride it would take me 20 years just to break even with the added price of an electric bike