Last Ephrata PA ride in of 2020

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Last Ephrata PA ride in of 2020

Post by honkerman »

So this year has been weird, but still time marches on. The last official 2020 Ephrata Ride-in was today. also an update on my health, a close call narrowly avoided, and some commentary on healthcare heroes.

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Last Ephrata PA ride in of 2020

Post by Old Grinner »

May the "Force" be with you during your hospital visit . . ..

It's tough being human sometimes. :?

When I approach intersections or situations where a vehicle has the potential to pull out in front of me I always look for the driver's face and wheel motion. If someone doesn't appear to have their head faced in my direction, or their face is blocked by a pillar or something (or are looking into bright sun), I am off the gas and "at the ready" on the brakes.

Moving wheels are an indicator of intent to pull out or impatience to creep up further to the line.

I truly dislike tinted windows and wish they were outlawed. I know you can't see the driver at night but for the time when the bulk of traffic is on the road during daylight or daily commute times it could help to reduce traffic deaths IMHO. And as the saying goes if it saves one life it's worth it.

The left hand turn accidents from approaching traffic are another bummer (especially the ones who just turn and don't signal). I think a lot of the time now people who don't use turn signals have a device or cell phone in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. So they don't bother to signal (just my guess). :roll:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Last Ephrata PA ride in of 2020

Post by honkerman »

Old Grinner wrote:May the "Force" be with you during your hospital visit . . ..

It's tough being human sometimes. :?
Thank you. Indeed this impermanent human condition tests the strength of one's resolve at times.
When I approach intersections or situations where a vehicle has the potential to pull out in front of me I always look for the driver's face and wheel motion. If someone doesn't appear to have their head faced in my direction, or their face is blocked by a pillar or something (or are looking into bright sun), I am off the gas and "at the ready" on the brakes.

Moving wheels are an indicator of intent to pull out or impatience to creep up further to the line.

I truly dislike tinted windows and wish they were outlawed. I know you can't see the driver at night but for the time when the bulk of traffic is on the road during daylight or daily commute times it could help to reduce traffic deaths IMHO. And as the saying goes if it saves one life it's worth it.

The left hand turn accidents from approaching traffic are another bummer (especially the ones who just turn and don't signal). I think a lot of the time now people who don't use turn signals have a device or cell phone in one hand and the steering wheel in the other. So they don't bother to signal (just my guess). :roll:
I too have learned to become aware of these things. As per the video, his eyes were the biggest clue here that he had not registered my presence. It doesn't show up due to the wide angle camera lens, but it was obvious to me at the time. And of course, we always keep the brake covered for those times when it is needed.

On the bright side, he was driving with two hands on the wheel, so he was able to respond when he heard the horn and realize he had missed seeing me.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)