Dismantle front body to access steering

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Nnzrr
Year: 2013
Color: White

Dismantle front body to access steering

Post by Nnzrr »

Hallo, i am newbie here, i have pcx 2013 and i need to replace the steering bearing, should i need dismantle all front body cover, or there's some shortcut to access steering? , thanks
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Re: Dismantle front body to access steering

Post by Coasting »

I do most of my own maintenance - but head bearing work is one of the few things I leave for my dealer. It's my understanding that quite a few panels have to come off - starting at the back. You'll also need a tool to get a couple of chrome nuts off - and a maintence manual is highly highly recommended if you're going to attempt it yourself.

Good luck :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have torn my bike down to check the bearings, frame, and everything else...and it is quite a bit of work because the front covers have to come off, and the only way to get them off is to take almost every other panel off. With patience you can do it, but if the steering bearings are bad you may need to take it into a shop unless you are good at replacing bearings.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

There was a recent post on this subject by tomtomclub2005, only a 2014 version which has different panels. Actually easier to remove the front inner and console panel on 2013 versions than the LED kind.
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8459

I was told my bearings were shot by a local motorbike dealer / CBT place, then after the work was done they said they only needed adjustment and were other wise ok (I did not believe there was a problem before this).

Bad thing was that when I started to ride off things felt bad - hard at slow speed to control the bike and was wobbling all over - turns out whatever they did they left the handlebars 4-5 degrees clockwise when the bike was going straight - so I inadvertently was doing counter-steering and fighting things. Took it to my normal MOT/garage and they corrected this FOC.

So, lots of work, lots of potential to end up in a world of hurt, then you may have to put it back together properly to take it to a garage/dealer.