Rain Riders

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Rain Riders

Post by mymitzi »

I've been caught out in it but generally don't head out in it. Recently had the headlight dimmer switch fail.[PCX]
Turned out to be the switch and the wire. Not too bad of a job, and the wire harness was [unexpectedly] cheaper
than the switch which was about $24.00. Harness about $16.00. Asking you "rain riders" if the wet conditions
have affected your switches to any extent? Wondered if the LED versions are less prone to these kind of failures.
The connection for the harness is convenient to access once the windshield and cover beneath it are removed.
Haven't concluded that it's rain related but?? Thanks in advance....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Rain Riders

Post by you you »

mymitzi wrote:I've been caught out in it but generally don't head out in it. Recently had the headlight dimmer switch fail.[PCX]
Turned out to be the switch and the wire. Not too bad of a job, and the wire harness was [unexpectedly] cheaper
than the switch which was about $24.00. Harness about $16.00. Asking you "rain riders" if the wet conditions
have affected your switches to any extent? Wondered if the LED versions are less prone to these kind of failures.
The connection for the harness is convenient to access once the windshield and cover beneath it are removed.
Haven't concluded that it's rain related but?? Thanks in advance....

So what is your point?
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Just wondered if others have experienced switch failures..... and if riding in the rain might be a factor.
Scooter_Fever
Year: 2016
Color: Steel grey

Post by Scooter_Fever »

I have ridden in some pretty hard rain with no problems to the electrical systems. I have a 2016 LED equiped. Maybe you had an underlying problem or try some dielectric grease on the switch contacts.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks S_F ....... Maybe mine was just a rare case....a good thing. Happened after soaking rain.......more than likely a coincidence.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mymitzi wrote:Thanks S_F ....... Maybe mine was just a rare case....a good thing. Happened after soaking rain.......more than likely a coincidence.

It should be rare. An occasional squirt of WD40 doesn’t go amiss
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

you you wrote:

It should be rare. An occasional squirt of WD40 doesn’t go amiss
That always ruins the taste of my tea..... :lol:
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Coasting »

My high-beam/low-beam switch failed. Got a genuine OEM replacement landed on my desk via eBay for around USD $10. Fitted it myslf (only 2 screws on a pre-LED 2014 model). Dealer wanted to charge well over USD $100.

I ride in all weather - no other electrical problems other than the occasional $1 bulb.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks Coasting......at that price, tempted to get a spare. Please post a link?
Speaking of bulbs....have replaced both headlights, and the oem bulbs are pricey.
Just ordered a pair @ $47.00 [oem] Break my heart again! :lol: Forza was a bit
cheaper but?? Tried the Chinese bulbs........not good.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

mymitzi wrote:Thanks Coasting......at that price, tempted to get a spare. Please post a link?
Speaking of bulbs....have replaced both headlights, and the oem bulbs are pricey.
Just ordered a pair @ $47.00 [oem] Break my heart again! :lol: Forza was a bit
cheaper but?? Tried the Chinese bulbs........not good.
You're welcome.

This is the link to the one I got - but that was over a year ago now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/262761276265

Suspect that you can find them in a number of places on eBay - or sites like BikerzBits.

I'm still on the original headlight bulbs - have replaced position/numberplate bulbs about a 1/2 dozen times though.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Wow.........with shipping to USA, $9.63 ! Will contact them to see what oem headlight bulbs sell for.
Hope it's equally shocking! Have a hunch that with the prevalence of scooters, in Europe, more volume,
lower prices. Only PCX headlights on eBay here, Chinese. Thanks again, Coasting.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

No worries. I just looked up what I think is the headlight bulb on BikersBitz:

https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx-34901- ... light.html
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks..........but the 2013 PCX headlight has a Halogen bulb. Here's an eBay link that shows the Chinese version. Good price,poor results.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... b&_sacat=0
Appreciate though.
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

mymitzi wrote:Thanks..........but the 2013 PCX headlight has a Halogen bulb. Here's an eBay link that shows the Chinese version. Good price,poor results.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... b&_sacat=0
Appreciate though.
Know worries ;)

I'm lucky - 5 years in and still on my original headlight bulb.
grndslm
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by grndslm »

I leave my bike outside, uncovered. No problems until a couple months ago, it rained pretty hard outside... and then my dash light kinda started randomly going out a couple times until it wouldn't light up anymore. I'm sure that's not a cheap fix!
Coasting
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Coasting »

grndslm wrote:I leave my bike outside, uncovered. No problems until a couple months ago, it rained pretty hard outside... and then my dash light kinda started randomly going out a couple times until it wouldn't light up anymore. I'm sure that's not a cheap fix!
For what it's worth, on a few occasions I've seen a bit of condensation under the dash perspex. Hasn't caused any issues (yet) - but it suggests to me that that area isn't perfectly sealed off from the weather.
ajwmrr
Color: Red Forza

Post by ajwmrr »

grndslm wrote:I leave my bike outside, uncovered. No problems until a couple months ago, it rained pretty hard outside... and then my dash light kinda started randomly going out a couple times until it wouldn't light up anymore. I'm sure that's not a cheap fix!
If you do it yourself, its an extremely cheap fix.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I ride in the rain and keep my scooter outside. I've had it since August of 2015. I haven't had any electrical issues so far.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Thanks, Paul.......Now that's an impressive example. Good news for others. One thing that confounds me is why the fuse never failed.
The switch and the wire harness connector both failed. Just one of those things.........suppose.