flat battery again, help please.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

sut1576
Year: 2014
Color: red

flat battery again, help please.

Post by sut1576 »

hi guys

i posted on here on the 2nd sep that my wife had a flat abttery on her 2020 forza 125.

again today after the bike being parked up for a 7 days her battery is totally flat to the point we cant move the keyless switch on the bike to be able to release the seat. tomorrow we will do the emergency entry thing to release the seat and get the battery out and charge it again,

i assume the battery keeps dying as it has a alarm and tracker connected to it, now obviously i dont want to remove these as she has had 2 bike stolen prior.

my question is. can i buy a better battery that wont go flat as quickly ? and if so what one ? or is there a device that i can connect to the battery that can sit under the seat give it a charge to stop this happening ?

or any other ideas that could solve this problem.

thank you
anthony
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: flat battery again, help please.

Post by Jge64 »

Probably not. you need a battery that will fit in that space and there isn’t much more maximum capacity you can put in the same space than what is there now. You need to find a way to make sure the tracker and the locator does not work except when the bike is moved or some other indication. But it cannot sit there to live 24 seven and expect the battery to last. In addition, you need to set up a battery maintainer so that it charges the battery when the bike is at rest.

Search battery tender Junior on Amazon, it should be about a $35 device or less.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Check the cause of the problem rather than the symptom. See what current the alarm and tracker are drawing?
sut1576
Year: 2014
Color: red

Post by sut1576 »

Check the cause of the problem rather than the symptom. See what current the alarm and tracker are drawing?

i must be honest i have no idea how to do that sorry.

i am looking at battery tenders thank you
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Assuming the battery is the usual 7A/H rated, a draw of 40mA will completely drain the battery in a week.

An alarm will draw several mA's but if the combination of the two you have is even 20mA, the best you can expect would be 1.5-2 weeks and that does not do the battery much good of the long term - it's life will be shortened.

One Forza Lithium battery was listed as giving a much higher start current but less A/H's - terrible so avoid such an alternative.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if there is a way to do this but if the tracker can be turned on by the alarm (when it activates), you would at least cut done the current draw. However, the others are correct. If you have any draw on the battery from devices while it sits, that draw will be added to the natural discharge that all batteries have. The best solution for when the bike is "at home" would be a Battery Tender Jr. It would replenish the battery and keep it topped off.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sut1576 wrote:Check the cause of the problem rather than the symptom. See what current the alarm and tracker are drawing?

i must be honest i have no idea how to do that sorry.

i am looking at battery tenders thank you

Fair enough.

The simplest solution then would be to ride the scooter every couple of days.

Or disconnect the tracker and alarm and use a type of physical security.