Improving PCX rear drum brake

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Improving PCX rear drum brake

Post by alx123 »

In my opinion, the rear brake is the PCX's weakest point.

My complain is the lack of feedback feel, it seems to feel lacking in stopping power but suddenly will lock as soon as you give it a little more squeeze.
The lever feels like it's too loose but once you forced it a little bit will lock the brake before you even feel in the lever that it's already activated.
What I'm looking for is a gradual/progressive brake feel, in which I can easily modulate my braking.
I didn't have this concern on my other bikes before, but mostly are foot brake levers.

Adjusting the lever slack will improve the feel but will also result in the brake shoes engaging a little even when not applied; I can easily tell by rotating the wheel while the scoot is on center stand.

Iv'e tried changing brake shoes, but it only alleviate the problem when it's new and the lack of feedback feel always comeback after a few weeks or so. Iv'e tried other aftermarket brand of brake shoes, and the one I'm using now feels better than the OEM.
I did try to change the spring on the brake arm but it resulted in a very hard lever.

Iv'e posted this problem somewhere before but didn't find any good solution yet.
I'm not sure if it's just me, or this is just how rear drum brakes really feel on hand levers.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Improving PCX rear drum brake

Post by gn2 »

Its never going to feel great, that's just how drum brakes are.
The biggest problem is the length of the cable.
Foot brakes feel better because the cable is shorter.
Its the same with cable operated bicycle brakes, the rear usually feels more mushy than the front.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

^^^That makes a lot of sense. Do you think CBS contributed to this too?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I was unimpressed to learn that the new Piaggio Liberty had a rear drum brake, as well.
Vespa Motorsport's ROBOT passes it off as, "this drum brake will last longer than disc brake pads".
Yeah, well....my KYMCO LIKE200i has twin disc brakes and they provide the best and smoothest braking you can imagine!
And the pads look like they are about 30% worn after 8 summers and 16,000+ miles.
Probably, along with ease of servicing, the LIKE's brakes are my favorite feature of the scooter.
Incredible brakes!

Fish
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

alx123 wrote:^^^That makes a lot of sense. Do you think CBS contributed to this too?
Probably will.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I also noticed that Honda's OEM brake shoe is the same for most models; PCX 125, PCX 150, Click 125, Click 150 and even for the 110cc zoomer X. This means this is like a fit-to-all drum brake that doesn't get any updates or improvements. They could've at least gave the 150's a bigger drum for a little better stopping power.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I have no issue with the PCX rear brake and I think the advantages of a disc are nominal anyway on a lightweight low powered scooter. I think the advantages of a disc on a low power light scooter are marketing. I’ve ridden a lot of different motorcycles and scooters over almost 55 years.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I agree; on a scooter a rear drum brake is fine, we’re not at Daytona. However I believe ABS works the best on a disk brake versus a drum. That’s the only reason I can think of that it’s “better”.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The rear break is not great, front much better but now I would rather not have ABS and stick with the CBS system as it seems perfectly fine, and is much easier and less costly to maintain.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I'm sure a disc brake would feel much better than a drum on the hand lever.
I just changed the shoe on my brakes today as I don't like how spongy the lever feels.

I guess the best thing to do is to just change to a new shoe every time I feel the brakes starting to feel unpredictable.
Sorry to disagree but CBS is just a marketing ploy, it's not functional and doesn't offer any benefits to the rider.
ABS on the other hand is on another level, I believe it should be put on all bikes regardless of displacement.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

A longer actuating arm and/or adjustment to the angle the cable meets it at can help.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You know that everyone has opinions so this may never be resolved, but I think scooters and motorcycles should follow suit with cars. If manufacturers of automobiles have upgraded most cars to rear disc brakes, bikes should follow that lead. Even if...and that is a big IF...drum brakes are fine for scooters, safety would dictate that what works best for other vehicles should work well on a scooter as well.

I feel the brake fade after riding for an extended time on my scooter. I don't believe this is from the front disc brakes (though I could be wrong). To me, disc brakes all around would be safer.

When we had our accident brake fade played a big role. We saw the accident happen in front of us, but our scooter brakes did not slow us enough in time for us to effectively miss it or stop. We had been riding in and out of traffic for 3 hours prior to that so the brake fade was apparent on the rear brake. I know, it will be argued that it wasn't the brake, it was us, but you can actually feel it when brake fade starts. It was mid afternoon, very hot out, and even road temperatures were going up. I could feel it through my boots when we were stopped at a light.

Whatever the arguments for or against rear disc brakes, brake fade is a real issue. If rear disc brakes would help resolve that issue, then I am all for them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Just came back from a three day loaded touring trip with plenty of steep mountain descends and fast freeway riding ( LA to Pismo Beach and back).

And I had all the confidence in the brakes. They feel great and completely adequate. Never felt the need for anything different.

Advantages of drum brakes is lower wear, dust and dirt protection.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

I also believe the brake is adequate enough to stop the small 150 cc engine, I even locked my rear once and skidded. My complain is all about the brake feel.
Iv'e just installed an aftermarket "Bendix" one, and it's great. At least for now.
Peter Panini
Year: 2013
Color: Gold

Post by Peter Panini »

With a combination of front disc brakes and rear drum brakes, and the correct use of feathering them, I have zero issues with the braking system.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

alx123 wrote:I also believe the brake is adequate enough to stop the small 150 cc engine, I even locked my rear once and skidded. My complain is all about the brake feel.
Iv'e just installed an aftermarket "Bendix" one, and it's great. At least for now.
Sounds like you may have an issue with your brakes or the drum.

I can't imagine mine locking up with normal use.

Have the drum checked for run out and minimum diameter. Also the surface should not be glazed and the drum should not be warped (can happen if it has ever been suddenly cooled after being hot).

Your cables and drum swivel pin should all move freely and be lubricated. I assume there is no corrosion.

Do you live in a climate where there is ocean near by, or do you ride in the rainy weather or let alone in the winter when roads are sprayed with salty acidic solutions?

I imagine brake feel would be very special under conditions like this, for example.

Finally, are any of your parts aftermarket of dubious quality? I've seen that almost anything can be bought or modified in Thailand when it comes to two wheeled transport.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

I think the rear brake is fine, too. I locked mine up once so know what pressure is need for that, now!
Conelite
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by Conelite »

Isn't rear braking "feel" poor due to the Combined braking system? You want good brake feel, Eliminate the linked braking system and run a single independent rear brake Cable. Its the only way you will improve the "feel."
2017 PCX 150
Wirus Win Exhaust
Steady Garage Intake
Z-Bars
NCY Variator
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

alx123 wrote:^^^That makes a lot of sense. Do you think CBS contributed to this too?
Conelite wrote:Isn't rear braking "feel" poor due to the Combined braking system? You want good brake feel, Eliminate the linked braking system and run a single independent rear brake Cable. Its the only way you will improve the "feel."
Exactly what I was thinking too. This kind of job is a little complicated for my limited skill, plus I believe you need the strip the scoot for that. I might need my mechanic's help with that.
Newly installed pads improved the braking feel somehow, though in my experience it only last a few weeks or so. We'll see..
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
alx123 wrote:I also believe the brake is adequate enough to stop the small 150 cc engine, I even locked my rear once and skidded. My complain is all about the brake feel.
Sounds like you may have an issue with your brakes or the drum. Checked it and it's still within specs

I can't imagine mine locking up with normal use. It was an emergency braking situation, I guess I pressed the brake a little too hard because I don't feel it engaging at first - related to my current complain

Have the drum checked for run out and minimum diameter. Also the surface should not be glazed and the drum should not be warped (can happen if it has ever been suddenly cooled after being hot).

Your cables and drum swivel pin should all move freely and be lubricated. I assume there is no corrosion. - this I need to check, thanks

Do you live in a climate where there is ocean near by, or do you ride in the rainy weather ? - Thailand, so, YES!

Finally, are any of your parts aftermarket of dubious quality? I've seen that almost anything can be bought or modified in Thailand when it comes to two wheeled transport. - No, all OEM except for tires and now usng aftermarket brake shoes(which is better imo)