Help: Battery dead after 6month left sitting.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Help: Battery dead after 6month left sitting.

Post by doletotodole »

I did not ride my PCX for nearly a year now.

when I tried to find a way to charge the battery, I quickly found myself in a dilemma where without power I can't even start the main switch panel, thus can't even open my seat, under which I believe lies the battery.

Is there any other way I can charge my battery, or even better start my bike?

please help me out.
thanks a lot.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Help: Battery dead after 6month left sitting.

Post by mymitzi »

Seat latch is cable actuated. [not battery dependent] You do have to turn key to "unlock" position, though.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

If your seat won't unlock when you try to open it using the key as the manual shows try pushing down a bit on the seat as you turn the key and push the seat release button to allow the latch to release more easily.

Here's what my key panel looked like on my 2017. The fuel lid and seat release were on the same button . . . one side for fuel lid and the other side for the seat release.

In the second pic you can see the panel to the battery compartment and the latch assembly that is located under the rearmost section of the seat.
DCP_1560a.jpg
DCP_1553a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

On another note . . . if you have a "Smart Key" system then you should have an emergency key to open the seat.

See link below on how to open seat with emergency key.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16393 ... l?page=121
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

doletotodole wrote:I did not ride my PCX for nearly a year now.

when I tried to find a way to charge the battery, I quickly found myself in a dilemma where without power I can't even start the main switch panel, thus can't even open my seat, under which I believe lies the battery.

please help me out.
thanks a lot.

Yes by riding it at least once a month.

Leaving it for a year/six months is “quickly” going to get you into a dilemma as you’ve found.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

doletotodole wrote:I did not ride my PCX for nearly a year now.

please help me out.
thanks a lot.
Yes, install pigtails for a trickle charger (let them hang out from under the seat) and if you're not using the bike much, just use the charger occasionally. As an added benefit if your battery goes dead, just plug in a charger to the pigtail and you'll have enough power to activate the seat release as normally.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

Old Grinner wrote:On another note . . . if you have a "Smart Key" system then you should have an emergency key to open the seat.

See link below on how to open seat with emergency key.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16393 ... l?page=121

Oh, what a terrible thing to remember, I did have a some sort of gadget that comes with the remote controller, I had no idea what they were for, I might have chucked them somewhere or even lost them.

oh, dear.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Shorai lithium battery's are the bees knees... Last for ever even when left unridden and uncharged for longer periods of time.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

Both my PCX and my Honda Goldwing have a pigtail installed (couldn't be easier to do) that I leave hanging out from under the seat whenever I am not riding it. I routinely hook the scooter up to a Battery Tender where it keeps the batter at full charge indefinitely. It will not allow the battery to overcharge so there is no harm in using it all the time. After I ride the scoot I don't know if I will be riding it the next day, or not for several weeks, so hooking it to the Battery Tender is something I do automatically after a ride. I've used Battery Tenders for the last 25 years or so, and have never had a problem starting the bikes even after four or five months of winter inactivity. Worth the small cost (Amazon has the Battery Tender Jr., which is perfect for the scooter, for $25). If you buy the Battery Tender, it comes with the pigtail to just attach to the battery terminals on the scoot, takes about 30 seconds total.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT