Givi V47NNT and Honda 35l Topcase

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Givi V47NNT and Honda 35l Topcase

Post by Rickjds »

D72E228C-4C8E-41DB-A43A-A9A1D9C067FD.jpeg
D72E228C-4C8E-41DB-A43A-A9A1D9C067FD.jpeg (466.28 KiB) Viewed 849 times
When i ordered the PCX150, I ordered the Honda 35l trunk, rear carrier and lock cylinder. My cats got to my lock cylinder package and I lost tumbler springs. I’ve taken apart and put together both lock cylinder and lock assembly on the Honda trunk many, many times. I saw a locksmith today and he gave me more than enough springs so I could finish the lock cylinder. That being said, here are my thoughts...

Honda carrier: solid, made of metal, but since I have a Monokey trunk (Givi V47NNT), I had to drill four holes as posted in another thread. Also, I did cut away two holes in the Givi universal monokey mount criss cross piece (honeycomb?) so I can get to the two rear most bolts on the carrier. Note, no drilling is needed when installing the Honda trunk, just mount the carrier and move on.

Honda lock cylinder: Oh man, this was a b*tch until I got to know how everything works. The advantage is that you set up the tumblers for your PCX key, fairly easy to do once you know what you’re doing! The springs put pressure on the key from the tumbler(s) when the key is inserted. This is where you check the tumblers if they are sticking out from the inner cylinder. Any tiny amount the tumbler sticks out from the tumbler, the key won’t turn. Think of it this way, the lock cylinder I had had four sets of tumblers. One group of silver tumblers, two groups of gold tumblers (half of them have different widths at the top of the tumblers making two sets of gold tumblers). A Stop tumbler to be installed in the last tumbler opening to prevent the key from turning too much and preventing the lock inner cylinder coming apart from the outer cylinder - see diagram attached. Change any tumbler that sticks out with a different one until the tumbler does not protrude above the inner cylinder.

On the Honda trunk, the key feels like it sticks a little going from open to locked position. I just turned the key about 20 times or so from lock to unlock and back and it’s much better. Did I mention you don’t need an additional key for the trunk as you can use your main key. :D I could not take out the key when unlocked. I don’t know if this was by design or maybe I need to adjust the tumblers again to see if any are sticking out. This is a fairly simple lock and from what I learned, I don’t see what is preventing the key from coming out when unlocked. Maybe someone can shed some light.

Also of note on the Honda trunk, it doesn’t take much to open when locked. I think the lock mechanism needs to be redone.

The Givi V47 NNT trunk is solid One button to open the trunk, the other button is to disconnect the trunk from the mount. It’s so simple, the trunk material is thicker, better lock although you can’t match your key. Maybe you can, don’t know. The trunk is roughly about 6“ wider than the Honda trunk.

Personally, the V47 is a big trunk, but IMO, not too big, but you must see in person. I’m trying to downsize from my RAV4, so I know a 15lbs bag of cat food fits in the V47 and not the Honda trunk. :lol:
Attachments
84E700DF-AC40-4888-B61B-9E8A1CF83B8D.jpeg
84E700DF-AC40-4888-B61B-9E8A1CF83B8D.jpeg (317.64 KiB) Viewed 849 times