Citygrip 2 tyres

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Citygrip 2 tyres

Post by cnikonpete »

I have ordered a new rear tyre for my 2018 PCX 125, it’s a Michelin Citygrip 2, apparently they are now front/rear compatible with an up rated speed index.
The original got a puncture well over a year ago, I plugged it, and have had no air loss for all that time, noticed a slow leak the other day, so decided a replacement was needed.
The new tyre is 120/70 r14 s, so same size, anyone used them?

I will be taking the wheel off myself, and getting a local garage to fit the new one for a tenner, hoping it all goes well.
Givestrong
Year: 2018 V4
Color: Matt grey

Re: Citygrip 2 tyres

Post by Givestrong »

I replaced my old 12-70-14 City grip rear by a City Grip 2 recently.
The design is slightly different, with additional cuttings on the sides, but the center part is quite identical.

I removed the rear wheel by myself too, that was easy, but be prepared, the wheel center nut is locked tight.
I advise you to put some lockthread on the two small bolts of the small rear fender, i lost them the day after :lol:

The first city grip lasted 10 000 km (6 000 miles) with essentially small streets ride and hills rides. (I live in the french riviera) I found it fine as i brake and accelerate a lot.
After replacement with the new one, i found the bike easier to lean in the curves, but maybe the difference was because the used one was a bit "flat" on the rolling band.

Still excellent grip even under rain, i can brake hard with the rear without locking it, and secure feel in cornering, i scrape sometimes the centerstand but it seems the tyres can handle way more angle.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Thanks for that, did you torque the hub nut? Luckily I had an impact driver bought from Lidl last year to shift it. Just waiting to take tyre to garage, then might put it back together tonight, have to get some Loctite though.
Givestrong

Post by Givestrong »

Yes i used a torque wrench, the torque specified is 118 N.m (11.8 daN/m). They recommend to put some oil on the wheel nut and the threads before tightening it.

The impact driver will be useful for removal, but i'd be scared to use it to tighten
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Well, all done , I used a torque wrench, I wouldn’t use the impact driver to tighten anything . Test rode , no problems, hopefully won’t get another puncture, fingers crossed. Nice talking to you
Givestrong

Post by Givestrong »

Glad all went well, have a nice ride !