PCX WW150D 2013 engine replacement possibilities

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dantedmc3

PCX WW150D 2013 engine replacement possibilities

Post by dantedmc3 »

Hi. This seems to be my first post if i'm not mistaken.
Anyways. It seems like i might have to change the engine on a PCX WW150D 2013 model.
I tried looking around some and apparently not all engines would be able to replace the original.
So my questions are basically (always talking about 150cc)
Are all engines of the first model before 2015 the same or not. Differences ?
Any possibility of replacing the engine with one from the second model 2015-2017 (if i'm not mistaken on the year)
I'm guessing there might be differences on the base and it wont fit. Also maybe the output voltages might be different on the alternator i'm not sure about replacing that.
I'm sure there might be other issues as well so that leaves me inquiring about this matter.
Anyways i'm interested in talking about this. I'm sure there are some people that are really knowledgeable in this matter.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: PCX WW150D 2013 engine replacement possibilities

Post by Mel46 »

Please go into your profile and add your general location so that we can be of better assistance. Since this is an international forum we have different setups in various countries, which makes answering your question a bit more complicated.

As an example, different countries have different ways of defining the year model. Also, the 2014 model was not sold in the United States, and very few 2015 models. In fact, the 2015 model was sold in various stages of total design change.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if this will give you a better idea of my point, but it makes for good reading.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10491
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

Mel46 wrote:Please go into your profile and add your general location so that we can be of better assistance. Since this is an international forum we have different setups in various countries, which makes answering your question a bit more complicated.

As an example, different countries have different ways of defining the year model. Also, the 2014 model was not sold in the United States, and very few 2015 models. In fact, the 2015 model was sold in various stages of total design change.
Ah sorry about that. I had the impression that the ww150D (with the D) was a Europe only model but checking the honda parts website i realize it is not...
Anyways yeah. The model i'm talking about is a 2013 150 cc European (ww150D).
At this point i'm pretty sure that a newer models engine will probably not be compatible although id like someone that knows to tell me more about why.
I'm guessing only an engine after 2012 will do, that was when they introduced the esp and 150 cc i think, and before or up to 2014 when they introduced the led model pcx.
But of course im not an expert whatsoever so help is appreciated.
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

Mel46 wrote:I don't know if this will give you a better idea of my point, but it makes for good reading.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10491
Yeah that was good read.
My bike also seems to be registered 2014 but at the same time it is specifically stated somewhere that it is a 2013 ww150D model i'm guessing that is manufacturing year.
Interesting how honda model change to the led version was kind of gradual.
On a sidenote, what about the latest model digital is the name if im not mistakenm im guessing there was no gradual transition for that one in the manufacture line ?
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

The 2013 to 2017 engines should be plug and play. I don't think the electrical, engine wise, changed at all. Over those years the engines intake changed in internal diameter, to a smaller size. Other little changes, but nothing major.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have a service manual that says 2013 - 2017 so I am guessing that there are not that many differences. However, I am not sure about the electrical differences that might affect the engine. For example, do you have to match the ecm to that particular engine? Others can answer that better than I can.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Mel46 I think the ECM should be able to adjust fuelling to the engine. The HP difference between these years isn't that much, at most half a HP.

dantedmc3 what happened to your engine? You could just rebuild it.
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

Thanks for the answers guys. I will give an update if and when it comes to me having replaced the motor. There is a possibility that a replacement wont happen but i will see. As you said the only thing that might hold me back are electrical differences and voltages...

On a side note, i gotta say this website is quite nice or maybe pcx owners are nice lol.
Guess i could briefly share my misfortune and my fortune of finding the website.

I have a different pcx, 2015 model, which had blinker problems... Everything would be fine suddenly you would have no left or right blinker. I disassembled the front and started working out connectors and stuff with a multimeter. And i swear it drove me nuts you could not find something faulty. But after a while i came to the conclusion that it must be the led control unit cause nothing else made sense. I bought a used one for 50 euro and still had the same problem... Then i found this website and some people were mentioning that honda had sent letters for a problem with blinkers and lights caused by voltage issues in turn caused by the led control unit and that they fixed it for free... I never got such a letter probably because i bought the bike second hand and who knows what went wrong maybe the first person got such a call i don't know. Anyways in the end i did manage to get it replaced for free at a dealership and everything is fine now. Must have gotten scammed with a led control unit that came from the same year and had the same voltage issues... 50 euro for nothing but at least my assumption of the problem was correct...
I guess that was not really brief... hopefully you found it interesting... I guess i felt like sharing this cause i never thanked the people that mentioned the fix here.
Also as i said. I will give an update
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry about Your misfortune but Glad it brought You to Us! Welcome to the fold!
Good Luck tinkering! 8) and yes....please keep us posted ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dantedmc3

Post by dantedmc3 »

So there was never any need for an engine swap because the bike never landed in my hands... Just an update for future people i guess...
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

dantedmc3 wrote:Hi. This seems to be my first post if i'm not mistaken.
Anyways. It seems like i might have to change the engine on a PCX WW150D 2013 model.
I tried looking around some and apparently not all engines would be able to replace the original.
So my questions are basically (always talking about 150cc)
Are all engines of the first model before 2015 the same or not. Differences ?
Any possibility of replacing the engine with one from the second model 2015-2017 (if i'm not mistaken on the year)
I'm guessing there might be differences on the base and it wont fit. Also maybe the output voltages might be different on the alternator i'm not sure about replacing that.
I'm sure there might be other issues as well so that leaves me inquiring about this matter.
Anyways i'm interested in talking about this. I'm sure there are some people that are really knowledgeable in this matter.
July 21, 2020

Engine rebuilds can go up to $1200.00 - $1500.00 depending on what you destroyed. I lost an engine. I DON"T KNOW HOW ! But I had it rebuilt with genuine Honda parts. The bad news was the bill. The good news was it was and performed no different than the original ! Because of that I do 2,000 mile suction oil changes: 10-w-30 winter, 10-w-40 summer. It is working out well for me.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote: Engine rebuilds can go up to $1200.00 - $1500.00 depending on what you destroyed. I lost an engine. I DON"T KNOW HOW ! But I had it rebuilt with genuine Honda parts. The bad news was the bill. The good news was it was and performed no different than the original ! Because of that I do 2,000 mile suction oil changes: 10-w-30 winter, 10-w-40 summer. It is working out well for me.

Wow, that's pricey considering that the OEM Honda parts are relatively cheap. The original engine from my PCX developed rod knock due to low oil. The parts cost for me to rebuilt it is at most ~150 USD.

Gil
ImageImage