CVT Carter destroyed

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: CVT Carter destroyed

Post by Gil »

outlander wrote:When I changed out my weights I failed to use a torque wrench. After a mile of riding that nut unscrewed itself and the variator ground itself through the casing like you have pictured.
Yeah, this makes the most sence. As for the rear pulley noise, it might be the bearings in the clutch pulley. Those bearings were not properly greased at the factory and prematurely wear out.

Before you remove the front pulley, loosen the belt by opening up the rear pulley and pushing in the belt. Then try and more the front pulley, it shouldn't move.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheDoors
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Post by TheDoors »

Hi all,
Finally I have an update after long time, sorry for that, I was waiting to get my new impact drill (thanks Lidl) and a 22mm nut socket :)

I've easily removed variator and clutch, nothing was loose or moving, bush pulley has been a pain, stuck and quite rusty on the inside, so after tons of WD40 without joy, I had to use a clamp tool to remove it successfully!?

Rollers weight, sliders and belt are worn out, when clutch and bell seems to be in quite good condition, so I took the opportunity to clean all Cvt case and parts, re grease and reinstall all parts.

Test ride doesn't show any improvement in terms of speed or acceleration, confirming few parts need replacement.
TheDoors

Post by TheDoors »

Here a couple of pictures
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-15 at 18.44.28.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-15 at 18.44.28.jpg (99 KiB) Viewed 374 times
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-15 at 18.44.28 (1).jpg
WhatsApp Image 2020-08-15 at 18.44.28 (1).jpg (99.95 KiB) Viewed 374 times
TheDoors

Post by TheDoors »

All parts has arrived, ready for servicing in the weekend :)
Attachments
IMG_20200828_115740.jpg
IMG_20200828_115740.jpg (99.7 KiB) Viewed 352 times
TheDoors

Post by TheDoors »

Just back from a test ride after have changed all parts plus a fresh spark plug, what a difference, now go up to 64-65mph when before were topped at 58! :lol:

Remain a noise coming from the clutch side, most probably one of the face set ball bearing (91009KVY961): turning the tyre in reverse does not show any issue, same without all clutch block.

I also need to figure out how to remove the old CVT cover circlip and bearing before to install the new cover.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

TheDoors wrote:I also need to figure out how to remove the old CVT cover circlip and bearing before to install the new cover.
Don't even try to re-use a bearing, the extraction will likely damage it, get a new one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong