Storage Box acts like a parachute......

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxthai150
Year: 2020
Color: red

Storage Box acts like a parachute......

Post by pcxthai150 »

hi,
new member,
new owner of 2020 pcx150

So does anyone know how to deal with or fix the wheelie behavior created by the storage box? As you can see by the video, it's quite dangerous. The death wobble happens instantly. Without the box on, it doesn't happen at all at any speed. So it's 100% caused by the wind @ 40+ kph against the box; like a parachute.
I'm at a loss, and don't understand why I can't safely have a storage box attached without this happening.

Thoughts??

Thanks
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: storage box acts like a parachute......

Post by Mel46 »

Interesting. Most of us have a taller windshield as well, and the box usually has items in it that weigh it down. I don't have the newest version of PCX, but I can say without reservation that my box has only a minimum amount of wind interference. I have ridden my bike at 75 mph and only had problems with crosswinds caused by large trucks passing me.

Perhaps it is a combination of the locale and the roads??

Have any of the rest of our members had this kind of problem? I would appreciate any input so that I can see if I can duplicate it.

As I have said previously, I have ridden my 2013 PCX 150 for quite some time and on many types of roads, and I haven't had any stability problems.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Some find help with much heavier bar-end weights.

Fish
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

first check the tyre pressures front and rear secondly check the there is no play on the head stick ( no loose bearings ) and thirdly - hold the handle bars...does it wobble when you have both hands on the bars ? If not..Then dont try and ride like a stunt man
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Joking aside checking the tyre pressures is the best advice. Please do that.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

What's in your storage box? I have a big box on my scooter and I don't get that issue. Although, I don't add heavy stuff on it.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Maybe try taking off all of the Beer Lao inside that box?

Kidding aside, it's quite difficult to figure out what's going without seeing your box as well. Show us the box maybe?

It's not supposed to happen with a correctly installed rear box.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Storage Box acts like a parachute......

Post by you you »

Check your tyre pressure.
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

update.....

so to my complete surprise, the bike is perfectly balanced from the factory. meaning any additions, even simply a tail rack, Will cause enough weight imbalance to lift up the front and cause the tank slap at any speed. some one told me honda made it this way on purpose to force you to keep your hands on the bars at all times. funny tho to me, that if that were the case, then it would do it day 1 and surely not just after adding weight to the tail. I've done everything possible to include adding a taller windscreen, checking my tire pressure is correct,... there's not much else i can do, other than piss and moan, so...

thoughts?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pcxthai150 wrote:update.....

so to my complete surprise, the bike is perfectly balanced from the factory. meaning any additions, even simply a tail rack, Will cause enough weight imbalance to lift up the front and cause the tank slap at any speed. some one told me honda made it this way on purpose to force you to keep your hands on the bars at all times. funny tho to me, that if that were the case, then it would do it day 1 and surely not just after adding weight to the tail. I've done everything possible to include adding a taller windscreen, checking my tire pressure is correct,... there's not much else i can do, other than piss and moan, so...

thoughts?

That “someone” has taken the liberty of bullshiting you.

Any play in the steering head bearings?
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

not that i can tell. i mean, the thing is BRAND NEW! it's been doing it since i installed that damn box! but even with the box off, it still does it. I've asked,around, and,others say their bikes do it too. that's what prompted the "Honda intentional design" theory.
i dunno tho. i can't imagine a brand new bike needs the head tightened.? but I'll certainly look into it since its the only thing I've left to address...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pcxthai150 wrote:not that i can tell. i mean, the thing is BRAND NEW! it's been doing it since i installed that damn box! but even with the box off, it still does it. I've asked,around, and,others say their bikes do it too. that's what prompted the "Honda intentional design" theory.
i dunno tho. i can't imagine a brand new bike needs the head tightened.? but I'll certainly look into it since its the only thing I've left to address...

If it’s brand new take it back to the dealer. It shouldn’t do it.
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

can you do me a favor? can you try and see if yours does it? just get up to enough speed (about 25+ mph) and simply let go of the handle bars. let me know what happens for you.
thanks
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

pcxthai150 wrote:update.....

thoughts?
Wow with all the crap I have on my bike, I should be popping wheelies!

On a serious note try a tunnel bag with a 5Ltr gas can full. See how it handles with more weight forward. Perhaps a tunnel bag is a better packing option or when loading pack the tunnel bag with heavy items, the top box with the lighter ones. I travel with a 5Ltr fuel can in my tunnel bag on many of my trips and don’t even notice it is there it rides so nice.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

yeah. i gotta do something...
i dont wanna ditch the box. but i need to be able to take my,hands off briefly to put on eye pro or check my phone gps or whatever. I can't keep doing to at least one hand on aat crap. shits for the birds lol
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

pcxthai150 wrote:can you do me a favor? can you try and see if yours does it? just get up to enough speed (about 25+ mph) and simply let go of the handle bars. let me know what happens for you.
thanks

Absolutely nothing. Bike just gently slows down.
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

really.... wow. that's crazy. i wonder why i am so lucky lol. are your wheels balanced? mine aren't. I'm gonna see if that helps me...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Wheels aren’t balanced. Not a lot of point if the tyre is fitted correctly.

Are you going to take it back to the dealers?
pcxthai150

Post by pcxthai150 »

yeah it's brand new. so no sense in taking it anywhere else but the dealer for now.
I'm gonna make them balance the wheels. i hope that makes some sort of difference
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

you you wrote:
pcxthai150 wrote:can you do me a favor? can you try and see if yours does it? just get up to enough speed (about 25+ mph) and simply let go of the handle bars. let me know what happens for you.
thanks

Absolutely nothing. Bike just gently slows down.
I just had to try this....you you is right..... proof is I am typing this. :lol:
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!