Grind Noise from back wheel while low speed and hitting bump

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

MikeWard
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Grind Noise from back wheel while low speed and hitting bump

Post by MikeWard »

Hello all. I ride the PCX 2016 150i scoot. it has good 28.000 kms on it, and every service is done at cirtified mechanic.

I was searching forum in order to see if anyone has the same issue like me.
Some posts matched my case, but they didnt mention something specifically in bumps.

So i have no photo-video so i will try to describe it.

When i ride alone or with my girlfriend (~60kg) at low speed ~20 - 30 km/h and i hit a small bump like 2 - 5 cm tall, specifially when the back wheel is climbing it, i hear a noise like my gears are griding for 1 - 2 secs while the small impact occures.

Its strange because while i ride it makes no grind noises at all.
Another thing that worth to mention is that when i apply rear brake, it feels like its been worn out un-evenlly through the shoe (1 sec brakes hards, 1 sec let go while i press the lever.) whille it's adjusted properlly.

I've tested wheel for free-play but its firm. I put it in center stand and roll it backwards and forward and i hear a small griding noise (not the co-forum members problem with tensioner) coming from the wheel, indicating its the bearing, and the movement is not lenear, more like exponential, one time it let go one time is hard to push.

So, is it the bearings? Or the unevenly worn brake shoes? Or the clutch?

Thanks,
Mike
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Grind Noise from back wheel while low speed and hitting

Post by Mel46 »

First I would suspect the clutch bearing. Then after that is replaced I would say to look at your rear brake pads. Remember that the PCX has rear drum brakes. I would also suggest that you check and upgrade your rear shocks if you are going to ride 2 up a lot. Get some YSS adjustable shocks so that you can adjust them when riding with a somewhat heavier weight.

So, 1st check and replace the clutch bearing. This is a common problem.
Next, check and clean or replace your rear brake pads.
Last, upgrade your shocks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

...and Mike, please add your location to your "profile."
You can follow easy directions below my post to do so. Having your location seen will help us all to help you now and in the future :P Thanks
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
MikeWard

Post by MikeWard »

WhiteNoise wrote:...and Mike, please add your location to your "profile."
You can follow easy directions below my post to do so. Having your location seen will help us all to help you now and in the future :P Thanks
done
MikeWard

Post by MikeWard »

Mel46 wrote:First I would suspect the clutch bearing. Then after that is replaced I would say to look at your rear brake pads. Remember that the PCX has rear drum brakes. I would also suggest that you check and upgrade your rear shocks if you are going to ride 2 up a lot. Get some YSS adjustable shocks so that you can adjust them when riding with a somewhat heavier weight.

So, 1st check and replace the clutch bearing. This is a common problem.
Next, check and clean or replace your rear brake pads.
Last, upgrade your shocks.
Allright, i had some parts in mind that may cause the problem, but since i am not familliar with the CVT thing i cant figure out from the sound only... Since i dont have a torque wrench i will go to a mechanic in order to be safe. I'll try to give info about the procedure since i'm at the service time and will do it in couple of days.! Thanks Mel46 for the answer!
MikeWard

Post by MikeWard »

One question, i ordered the parts except the clutch bearing, and have mechanic check things out. But, how do i see a bad clutch bearing that is ready for replacement? What cost should i expect to buy it fom the Honda dealership in a EU country?
Thanks!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

There is no way to just look at a clutch bearing to tell if it is bad, aside from taking it out of the assembly and trying to spin it. A quick test is to put your bike on its center stand, ignition off, and spin the rear tire backwards. If you have resistance and a growling sound, it is the bearing.

Attached is a web link to a parts page. Show this to your mechanic. It is the Driven Face.
Parts #18 and #19 are the problem. When mine went bad the mechanic had a problem finding the bearing because most are preinstalled on the assembly. It is also a problem to find someone to press the bearings out and then press the new ones in. Many riders find it to be quicker and less expensive to replace the assembly itself...#8.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... riven-face
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
MikeWard

Post by MikeWard »

Mel46 wrote:There is no way to just look at a clutch bearing to tell if it is bad, aside from taking it out of the assembly and trying to spin it. A quick test is to put your bike on its center stand, ignition off, and spin the rear tire backwards. If you have resistance and a growling sound, it is the bearing.

Attached is a web link to a parts page. Show this to your mechanic. It is the Driven Face.
Parts #18 and #19 are the problem. When mine went bad the mechanic had a problem finding the bearing because most are preinstalled on the assembly. It is also a problem to find someone to press the bearings out and then press the new ones in. Many riders find it to be quicker and less expensive to replace the assembly itself...#8.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... riven-face
Appreciated! In 2 days i will have results.