water cooling on PCX150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

water cooling on PCX150

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

Can anyone tell me anything about the water pump on the PCX ? I have a 2013 PCX-150, and I know it would be driven by the crankshaft which also would drive any impeller fan, drawing air across the radiator, but how long does the water pump last and when it fails, does it blow out, blowing out all the coolant at the same time ? What are your experiences with either the reliability of the water pump or problems that can occur ? Thank You

A secondary question might be how the oil pump works the engine,
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Re: water cooling on PCX150

Post by Gil »

The water pump runs off the camshaft. It does have a weep hole for when the inner water pump shaft seal wears out, it will show signs of failure. I haven't seen anyone here have issues with the water pump.
The cooling system on this scooter is quite nifty though. One cool thing about it is that the Coolant thermostat has a bypass, so that the water pump doesn't have too much resistance when the thermostat is closed.

The oil pump runs off the crankshaft. This being an engine with ball bearings on all shafts, it's a low oil pressure system.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

That is a nice bit of info you shared. Thanks. There has been two times in the past year where I noticed a dime sized spot of coolant on the floor. Made me scratch my head. It makes sense now. Something to keep an eye on.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

MikeP wrote:That is a nice bit of info you shared. Thanks. There has been two times in the past year where I noticed a dime sized spot of coolant on the floor. Made me scratch my head. It makes sense now. Something to keep an eye on.
There was an issue with early models and their coolant overflow tank. You might want to check those parts. Also make sure your overflow tank is not too low.
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

The overflow tank would crack and leak coolant.
ImageImage
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Gil wrote:The water pump runs off the camshaft. It does have a weep hole for when the inner water pump shaft seal wears out, it will show signs of failure. I haven't seen anyone here have issues with the water pump.
The cooling system on this scooter is quite nifty though. One cool thing about it is that the Coolant thermostat has a bypass, so that the water pump doesn't have too much resistance when the thermostat is closed.

The oil pump runs off the crankshaft. This being an engine with ball bearings on all shafts, it's a low oil pressure system.
===================================================================
Thanks Gil, The body on these scooters is so covered, that it is hard to learn anything about them unless you actually take it all apart, and I observe, for example, with my rusting gas tank, that it is better to do, or fix or replace, or adjust certain things all at one time. So let's say you replace a belt or a front variator, or a spark plug, having to replace something like a leaking water pump after putting it all back together would be a pain !
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Yeah, I do the same since removing the body panels is a pain.
ImageImage
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

When I took the body panels off my PCX just put then in a box.
Saw no reason to put them back on. Fabricated some new foot rests and everthing seems to function perfecly fine.
One plus is the bike is not so fat making it easier to straddle. May not be every ones cup of tea but if I find anyway to simplify something unnecessarily complex it's toast
Some purists are probably cringing.
Attachments
bike.jpg
bike.jpg (483.2 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Gil wrote:Yeah, I do the same since removing the body panels is a pain.
No. No....my brother in law never put the hood back on his Chevy either, or the right rear door.
It's a 'look' for sure.....
And he says mowing takes less time now since the other 3 quit running, and are slowly sinking into the front yard.
Fish
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Tell your brother in law i'm on my way with some some more ornaments for his front yard
Attachments
boulder dumping.JPG
boulder dumping.JPG (392.32 KiB) Viewed 1662 times
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

fish wrote:
Gil wrote:Yeah, I do the same since removing the body panels is a pain.
No. No....my brother in law never put the hood back on his Chevy either, or the right rear door.
It's a 'look' for sure.....
And he says mowing takes less time now since the other 3 quit running, and are slowly sinking into the front yard.
Fish
I need to meet your brother in law, we might become BFFs. LOL
ImageImage
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Gil wrote:The water pump runs off the camshaft. It does have a weep hole for when the inner water pump shaft seal wears out, it will show signs of failure. I haven't seen anyone here have issues with the water pump.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I lost one PCX-150 engine and I note that this engine uses needle bearing connecting rods like the old Yamaha 350-400 cc advanced two stroke models. The Japanese ones can work quite well, BUT not without enough correct oil.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

All I can say is that those boulders look like what is under most houses here in the Atlanta area! Every home owner here knows that digging more than 4 inches down in his yard will require heavy equipment. I have some rocks that aren't even that far down in mine. Don't be fooled by the pretty lawns. They are sod over granite. ;)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers