Windscreen question

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Steve53
Year: 2018
Color: dark ash blue

Windscreen question

Post by Steve53 »

Hi. I am the new owner of a 2018 PCX. I love the bike but find that I get tossed around pretty good when I’m behind cars, suvs and trucks. The previous owner replaced the windscreen with a taller model and tossed out the original, so I can’t change it back to see if it would make a difference. Are these bikes more stable with the original/shorter windscreens?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Windscreen question

Post by Mel46 »

Are you riding on freeways? The PCX is a great little bike for around town, but it is a bit light in weight for a freeway bike. It really won't matter about the windshield if you are riding in high speed areas because crosswinds and big trucks will cause you to struggle with a light bike...any light weight bike.

That tall windshield is for your comfort when riding below 55 mph. I have one on my bike and it greatly increases my comfort level when traveling the back roads.

My 2013 PCX 150 will do 75 mph, and I have taken it on freeways before, but that does not mean that it belongs on freeways and can navigate it safely. Use the extra speed to help it climb up inclines in back roads or in town, not on freeways.

By the way, would you mind going into your profile and adding your general area so that we can better direct your inquiries, please?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

A 2018 with no modifications will do 62 to 65, that’s not really fast enough to stay equal to most traffic on interstates. The problem is not the windshield , the problem is the weight of the bike.. At 300 pounds, it gets blown around a lot, so much so that IT can scare you if you’re not ready for it. A PCX isn’t really made for interstates, it’s a great around town /40 to 60 mile an hour bike, nothing more. If you want an interstate bike, you need a 300. Even a 150 with modifications will have the engine screaming at interstate speed, Not really the a great Way to use the bike.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Steve53
Color: dark ash blue

Post by Steve53 »

Thanks for the responses. Just wanted to mention that I notice the problem at speeds as low as 35MPH, even behind something as small as a Buick Encore. I have never ridden it faster than 60MPH, the roads around me really don’t allow for more, and would never think of taking it in the interstate. I know that it really wasn’t built for that. I’m just suprised at the amount of turbulence I feel with this bike and was thinking it might be because of the tall windscreen. I also have a Honda Monkey, which is also lite but shorter and no windscreen, that isn’t affected nearly as much by the turbulence. I could take the windscreen off and give it a go. Was just curious about other’s experiences with the tall vs short windscreens? Thanks again for your responses. :D
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I think you’ll have to take it off and see for yourself. Diagnosing over the Internet is always chancy at best, we don’t really know what your experience Is. I didn’t find any difference between my GIVI touring windshield and my two sport shields. More wind yes, but no dif in stability.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Think you nailed it with taking it off [tall shield] and trying w/o it. Its a trade off.
Less wind pressure on your torso [with some additional turbulence] I ride all year so
most of the time the tall shied is my preference. You really don't need to buy the
original [short] shield ..........just ride w/o the tall one.......If its better/more to your
liking.....solved. By the way......good ear plugs really help.
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mymitzi »

Have found laser light by Howard Leight ear plugs to be very effective.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Without the tall windshield the wind will hit your chest area and you will still feel like you are being tossed around. It is the nature of the beast. Motorcycles have no real "plastics" around them for the wind to hit. Scooters like the PCX look good because of them. However, the wind now has something to stop it, and when trucks rush by even small cars feel it, so you can expect that you will feel it on your little scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

The OEM "windshield" needs quotes around it, because it's so small and useless. I'm with the group here, remove the tall windscreen and go out for a test ride. I find the Honda PCX quite stable in side winds, but it might be because my previous scooter was a Honda Helix. The Helix was very sensitive to side winds, but I did learn to let the scooter lean into the wind, maybe that's why the PCX doesn't scare me. I'm sure someone here remembers the difference of the scooter with and without a windshield. At the moment my windshield is perfect for riding at 55-60 mph. Without it the wind pushes on your chest.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I rode mine for a short while with just the factory windshield. So did my wife. I then added the short Givi windshield, which was OK at lower speeds during the summer. Then we took them on longer runs and decided that we needed something taller in order to block out more wind at the higher speeds (back country roads at 45 - 55 mph). Once I installed the tall Givi windshield on mine, my wife didn't want to ride her PCX until I bought one for her bike as well. We haven't regretted our decision.

However, each individual needs to find what works best for them. You may find that you are happier with a shorter windshield, or none at all...I doubt it, but try it for yourself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

byronb70
Color: Pearl White

Post by byronb70 »

Steve53,

I just put a National Cycle windshield on my 2018 PCX and could not be happier. A world of difference to me.
And it works very well in redirecting cold air around your hands in the chilly evening rides too.

here is a pic. This the mid size wind screen.
Attachments
20200612_155105.jpg
20200612_155105.jpg (937.9 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
jrewillis
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Post by jrewillis »

I ride a mk4 (2019 in the UK) PCX - I had it for about a month before I fitted the Honda tall screen.

IMO it makes little difference to being pushed around by traffic and crosswinds - but it is very noticeable improvements in comfort from wind hitting my body and helmet.

I'd leave it on - the bike is light - it's always going to be affected by wind.