Brake fluid level

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jrewillis
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Brake fluid level

Post by jrewillis »

Hi people

I've noticed that my front fluid reservoir seems to close to the lower level. Pads have not worn down (well over half material left) and no obvious leaks. I have checked the level with the centre stand on on flat ground. Bars straight.

If I turn the bars then the fluid level either goes well below the lower level or way up to the top of the reservoir.

Is that normal. I can't say I ever noticed it being as low as it is when straight on before.

It's only covered 1800 miles from new.

Brakes working fine. No excessive handle play.

Any thoughts appreciated.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Brake fluid level

Post by gn2 »

Check the level with the reservoir horizontal, this usually means on level ground on centre stand with handlebars turned to left.
So long as the level is above the minimum its OK.
The level goes down as the pads wear, if the level is part way down the pads are part worn.
Fluid at or below the lower level is a good indication you need to check the pads.
Don't top fluid up when the level drops because you'll only have to take it out when you change the pads.
(so long as there aren't any fluid leaks of course)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jrewillis
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Re: Brake fluid level

Post by jrewillis »

gn2 wrote:Check the level with the reservoir horizontal, this usually means on level ground on centre stand with handlebars turned to left.
So long as the level is above the minimum its OK.
The level goes down as the pads wear, if the level is part way down the pads are part worn.
Fluid at or below the lower level is a good indication you need to check the pads.
Don't top fluid up when the level drops because you'll only have to take it out when you change the pads.
(so long as there aren't any fluid leaks of course)
Fantastic - thanks for your help - turning them to the left means it's almost full - did a 90 minute ride today and brakes were solid so I'm confident alongside the visual inspection that all is ok.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply GN2 :)