Scooter Decision -2016 Honda PCX OR 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

amy282756706
Year: 2016
Color: red

Scooter Decision -2016 Honda PCX OR 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400?

Post by amy282756706 »

Having trouble making a decision on what bike to buy. Trying to decide between a 2016 Honda PCX 150cc with 800 miles for $2300 OR 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400cc with 6000 miles for $1950. Both are garage kept.

Mainly used for within 10 -30 miles local trips with 2 people. Might use for trips within a state a few times. Consider resale after 2-3 years when I move, so I'm also considering the price drop on each after two years.

Honda is kind of new. Burgman has been well maintained, but for its age, it does have signs of use, like scratches, etc. Not sure if the upcoming maintenance cost will be high.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Scooter Decision -2016 Honda PCX OR 2008 Suzuki Burgman

Post by fish »

Service records for the 2 person capable Burgman might be more important than where it's been parked for 12 years. Garage is nice - but ......
A 150 is for infrequent 2 up riding.
A 4 yr old Honda should be good for that.

You won't lose much of your purchase price on the Burgman if you keep it a good runner.
Fish
amy282756706
Color: red

Post by amy282756706 »

fish wrote:Service records for the 2 person capable Burgman might be more important than where it's been parked for 12 years. Garage is nice - but ......
A 150 is for infrequent 2 up riding.
A 4 yr old Honda should be good for that.

You won't lose much of your purchase price on the Burgman if you keep it a good runner.
Fish
Thanks for your suggestion! Yeah, I'm 6ft and my passenger is 5ft, total weight around 280lbs. Although I won't drive on highway very often, I guess Burgman could have more power to safely ride two people, right? My main purpose will be running to work every day (2miles one-way) and groceries twice a week (10-25 miles one-way), and two people on it most of the time.

I like the NEW Honda, that's why my concern about Burgman is the possible coming maintenance cost. Although Burgman has been well maintained, such as replacement on tires, lights, air filter, spark plugs, I'm not sure if there will be more coming maintenance costs, such as belt (12-years, still reliable?) and brake, etc. What's your thought?

Also, Honda PCX is easier to maneuver in a parking lot right? That's my other concern about Burgman 400, it might be too heavy to control so easy to fall over? I might be wrong. I really appreciate any comments. Thanks so much!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

One is a maxi scooter, the other is a scooter. The difference in weight is extremely significant. the 400 is like a motorcycle, hard to roll around in the garage, fairly uncomfortable around the parking lot or in a lot of around town situations. However it’s far more interstate capable than the PCX.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

TBH if you are going to be taking a passenger I'd get at least a 300cc type scooter.

There have been some decent 250cc scooters made in the past but a lot of them are carbureted and the fuel systems may contain materials that are sensitive to fuels that contain ethanol.

When I bought my XMax 300 I did look into a new Burgman 400 but I found it too expensive and a bit labor intensive for maintenance. I am able to take a passenger on my XMax just fine and actually don't need a larger scooter. But I wouldn't travel from state to state with a passenger on it. I suppose it's possible but the suspension is not like on a motorcycle and depending upon the flow of traffic and road surface conditions it starts to look less appealing as a "long haul" machine. For trips up to 50 miles out and 50 back my XMax performs well and is comfortable. If I plan on going further I take the motorcycle.

I liked my PCX 150 but the seat was just not working out for me and I decided to trade it in for a Zuma 125. I found with the Zuma I could also do some moderate "off road" travels with it as well and get more bang for my buck.

That said I did get a chance to sit on a new 2019 PCX with the improved seat and suspension at a Honda dealer earlier this year and found it to be much more comfortable than the one on my 2017.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Based on the information supplied, Burgman 400 and by a country mile.
Servicing the Burgman will not be that much more than the PCX, especially if you do it yourself.
6000 miles is nothing on a Burgman.
Change all the fluids, check the brakes and tyres and you're pretty much good to go.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

Suzukis are well designed. I think the issues are one, are factory parts easily and readily available ?

Unless you are handy and going to service it yourself, who will work on it ? Most of us try and avoid young inexperienced newbie bike mechanics who are ''learning on your bike''.

So it is better to have a mechanic who is familiar with and well experienced with the different scooters like the Burgman.

AND where will you go if you make a 1,000 mile trip and it breaks three states away from your state ? I assume Suzuki. All scooters need to be properly maintained. The Burgman will be more powerful, a little more stable, and capable. It may not be easy to work on.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have had both a Burgman 400 and the PCX 150, which I still own. I was sad when I traded in my Burgman. It was a beautiful bike, and it was very dependable. The ONLY reason I traded it in for the PCX150 was because my wife and I found that our riding habits had changed, meaning that we spent way more time within our neighborhood than out on the back roads, and we only had enough storage space for 2 bikes...one of those being her PCX150. Interestingly enough, now we have moved out into the country where the Burgman would be quite handy. Oh well. :cry:

As far as maintenance on the Burgman goes, I would have to say that it is a little bit easier to do maintenance on than the PCX. I make this statement based on the fact that I brought both bikes in at the same time for routine maintenance, and the Burgman 400 maintenance was completed earlier than the PCX150 by enough time that we took the Burgman and went to lunch while the mechanic was still working on the PCX.

As for dependability, I never had a single problem with it.

If it was my choice, I would choose the Burgman. It is set up for 2 up riding right from the start. It can run on the freeway without any extra effort. As for breaking down while on the road, if that occurs, there are quite a few Suzuki mechanics out there. I would be more concerned if I had some less known brand of bike. Suzuki and Honda are pretty well known.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Peter Panini
Color: Gold

Post by Peter Panini »

I liked my PCX 150 but the seat was just not working out for me
In what way?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

In what way?
After I bought my 2017 PCX I was really excited to do some miles of smiles. However, I soon discovered the seating area was not set back far enough and it was not really padded well for my needs. It wasn't "breaking in" as I hoped it would. I suppose I could have gotten an aftermarket seat but then the location of the horn button and turn indicator switch was reversed from what I'm used to also. In fact I contacted Honda to ask them why they decided to reverse the traditional location of the turn indicator switch and horn button on their products and they basically replied that they would pass my inquiry along to the appropriate department. But I never got an answer back with a reason. I think it's important to have standardization in control and switch locations world wide IMHO. I think in an emergency situation you need to feel your way through the "familiar" and not be thinking about what seems "logical". I can understand the logic of putting the turn signal indicator switch down lower because that is what you may use more often but in an emergency I prefer the shortest distance my thumb has to reach to get to the horn. When I make a turn I have time to think ahead . . .. I don't want to be fumbling in an emergency.

That said, I could try to work around the switch locations but the seat turned out to be unpleasant and not something I wanted to live with. :cry:

It's a shame because the fuel economy was excellent, handling was great (although the suspension could have been a bit better), the power was ample for what it was designed for, under seat storage was generous, and it just plain looked good too! :D
100_4775a.jpg
The newer models at least have better padding but still leave something to be desired as far as comfort for larger riders who need to sit back further due to height or mass. If I had bought a 2019 or 2020 as my first PCX I probably would have kept it because I could live with it. But that said I wish Honda made the seats bigger, set back further (longer), and with more generous padding. In days of yore a lot of scooter or motorcycle seats were just flat and linear. Or, they had big individual seats. I digress but I think you get the idea. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sooo....member amy, has a decision been made? :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Peter Panini

Post by Peter Panini »

It's a shame because the fuel economy was excellent, handling was great (although the suspension could have been a bit better), the power was ample for what it was designed for, under seat storage was generous, and it just plain looked good too! :D
Indeed they are beautiful beasts - I'm giving up my rental soon, and going to get my own. I've been advised that the 2013 Thai- manufactured model I currently rent is sought after for its fantastic engine quality and reliability. I've had a good look (but not ride) of the 2018 model in the showroom up the road from me.

I'll probably go with a used 2013/14 model. I currently ride a bronze/gold one (depending on the lighting), but might for a red, or white one, or even get a custom spray job done.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I had my seat custom made in Thailand. I had them set the back rest back farther, but they also have models with no back rest at all.
I ordered it online from http://www.mpmotorseat.com/

Unfortunately I (for those who are not in that country) understand that they now only offer air priority shipping, which doubles the price. Also, with Covid-19 mail restrictions I doubt that you could get a seat from outside of your local area.

By the way, for a single rider doing mostly local riding, I highly recommend the PCX 150.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

im getting 120 miles per gallon on my pcx im adding about 32 ounces of fuel per day
Peter Panini

Post by Peter Panini »

By the way, for a single rider doing mostly local riding, I highly recommend the PCX 150.
I highly recommend the PCX150 for improving one's life quality. I get pure joy every time I'm on mine. Or even looking at it. Truly a special piece of machinery.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes the more i ride my pcx the more i like it just turned 200 miles on it this morning
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

I love riding my PCX, but admittedly I keep the throttle at full much of the time. Today I went for a 45 mile ride and my fuel efficiency dropped to the lowest level I have seen in a year of ownership, 48 mpg. PReviously I was getting upward of 100 mpg. But even 78 is a bit more double the 38 that I get on my Honda Goldwing 1800.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT