Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: Michelin tire installed, bench & review

Post by Oyabun »

Privjet Jojo,
120 on the front and 140 on the rear are a stretch, but can be done.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I have City Grip 120/70 on the Front and 140/70 on the rear. One of the best upgrades I've done to my scoot. I run them at 28psi int the rear and 25psi in the front. Rides so much better and is way more stable at speed. Corners like a sportbike too. You will lose some mpg, but the improvements are big enough that I don't care. No issues with the rim size, even though they are technically a bit large for them. Just look at Homies install to see how to space the air box if you go that large.
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

I've been interested in these tires since I saw them. The tread pattern really appeals to me and the seems to have very good wet grip as well.

Do these tires offer on par or better dry grip than the stock iRCs that comes on the 2018(2019 in the US) PCX?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

They still put IRCs on the new bikes? I know that I read somewhere on this forum that some of the newer bikes were coming from the factory with City Grips. There really is a difference in their grip in wet weather.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

I have a UK 2018/19 125 and its fitted with city Grips from the factory
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

Mel46 wrote:They still put IRCs on the new bikes? I know that I read somewhere on this forum that some of the newer bikes were coming from the factory with City Grips. There really is a difference in their grip in wet weather.
Mine came with the iRCs. I purchased my PCX in vietnam where dealer reputation is at best questionable and it could be left over stock from very early production. So far they're not too bad in the dry but when it rains they're fairly slippery going over the zebra stripes(although these tend to be slippery regardless of tires.)

I do ride like an idiot in the dry... basically full throttle every opportunity, pretend I'm motoGP in the turns, and then hard braking right before the lights so dry grip is important to me as well. Are the city grips just MILES better than stock iRCs it's worth getting them regardless?
op3l
Regular User
Regular User

Post by op3l »

So I bought a set of City Grips to replace the stock iRCs both front and back due to the back tire getting an un-patchable puncture. I've ridden on it for 2 days now and so far my impression is they are grippier in the dry than the stock iRCs even at higher lean angles and with the grooves at the sides. The shape is also much rounder and the bike wants to lean over much faster which takes some getting used to. Haven't had a chance to ride it in the wet yet, but being in SE Asia during the rainy season, that most likely will be this afternoon lol.

Overall I'm really happy with the switch and would recommend the switch to riders still on the stock iRCs.