Drive belt

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Bitcoin_Gav

Drive belt

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

well guys back again, just got back yesterday from a trip around the UK and Scotland in 5 days on my Forza 125.

Covered 1200 miles in total and id say a good 900 of them mostly on dual carriageways and motorways doing 70-75mph at 9.5-10k revs, I weigh roughly 13st 5lb or 85kg and was carrying an extra 30kg in luggage/bike tools in under seat and in top box.

so the point of this is the day before my trip I had my drive belt & rollers changed using original drive belt and rollers from honda because my old ones were at almost at the 16k limit. on the ride from the garage back home around 40 miles everything was a sweet as a nut and all round my trip all was great, the last 50 miles on the way home I started to notice that the bike was sluggish (not too bad) but a noticeable drop in the acceleration for me and it was taking a lot longer to get up to 70mph and I'm really having to push it to get it over that.

Is it possible doing all those motorway miles at such speed has possibly damaged or stretched/warped my new drive belt which could now need replacing?

I've no issues getting a new one if that's the case just a new belt with 1300miles on it, they were hard miles as well having to accelerate hard from standing stops at junctions to not get flattened by lorries and also sometimes sitting at 65-75mph for 60+miles at a time.....is it possible it needs replacing? or could it be something else?

Thanks
Gav
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Drive belt

Post by easyrider »

There are a lot of issues that could cause this malady. Adjusting valves may be needed ..???
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

Have heard [read] that a drive belt should be "broken in" for 50 miles or so, before hard service. Just a thought??
Bitcoin_Gav

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

mymitzi wrote:Have heard [read] that a drive belt should be "broken in" for 50 miles or so, before hard service. Just a thought??
possibly Ive went to hard to early on it. ill take it to the garage next week and get them to have a look at it and see what it needs doing, its the only logical thing that comes to mind at the moment as the other one had 15.5k in it before it started to go and now this one feels very similar after only 1300miles bearing in mind it felt great for 1250 miles of the trip but they were hard miles where the other belt most were round country lanes and never at constant high speed for long periods of time.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

Hmm.... I am thinking the rollers may be sticking or have developed some flat spots.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Bitcoin_Gav

Post by Bitcoin_Gav »

MikeP wrote:Hmm.... I am thinking the rollers may be sticking or have developed some flat spots.
Thanks for the suggestion mike, ill get it looked at.

Any thoughts on maybe ive got some bad fuel, over the course of the trip most unleaded i used was between 95-99 octane, one place I believe had 89 octane but that was all they had and I needed to fill up, do you think maybe the 89 octane is still working its way through the system and could be still causing the issue also? i used that 2 tanks ago, i normally refill when i have 2 of the 8 bars left so could be a chance some is still in giving me the bad performance?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Bitcoin_Gav wrote:well guys back again, just got back yesterday from a trip around the UK and Scotland in 5 days on my Forza 125.
You do know that Scotland is still in lockdown and we're not meant to go more than five miles from home?
Hope you didn't spread any virus.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Bitcoin_Gav wrote:well guys back again, just got back yesterday from a trip around the UK and Scotland in 5 days on my Forza 125.
You do know that Scotland is still in lockdown and we're not meant to go more than five miles from home?
Thank fuck for that.

God bless the virus.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Thank fuck for that.

God bless the virus.
LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: