Brake disk question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dirtyfathobo
Year: 2015
Color: Blue/white

Brake disk question

Post by dirtyfathobo »

Hey all, just curious what mileage have people changed their brake disks at or even if they have changed them at all yet, I'm trying to figure out if my local Honda dealer is trying to pull the wool over my eyes or not because I've been given mixed answers and they are notorious for trying to charge for extras that aren't needed, a perfect example of this is trying to charge me a high price for bearing parts stating "we have to order directly from Honda Germany (I'm in the UK) as no other dealers do them locally" so I found a local Honda distributer for parts here in the UK and ordered the parts for a fraction of the price which they didn't seem to appreciate when I had them fitted

Ok, so, I ride a 2015 Forza that's only had one owner before me and he kept it in immaculate condition with full history, I got the bike at about 18600 miles on the clock about a year or so ago, I've just hit 21600 and had it serviced. Faults that came back were a warning on my brake disks (not the pads though) saying they are heavily worn and need changing asap. My problem is this, I've taken it to my mechanic friend who says it's weird to hear they they have said that and he reckons I've got a good range of miles left on the disks (He's a car mechanic but rides bikes himself otherwise I'd pay him to do the bike but he doesn't have the right gear)

I'm taking it for a second opinion to a smaller bike garage to see if he mentions it and if he doesn't then ask his opinion (I mainly took it to Honda cause they apparently know Honda bikes where as this one is more for choppers and not scooters), I'd rather be spending money on a second opinion that the price for new disks especially if they aren't needed, if they are then I guess it's just another expense

My bike is still kept in immaculate condition and cleaned and maintained each week and never had this problem with previous bikes regarding disks.

TLDR; Anyway, what mileage have people changed their disks at if they have had to?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Brake disk question

Post by you you »

dirtyfathobo wrote:Hey all, just curious what mileage have people changed their brake disks at or even if they have changed them at all yet, I'm trying to figure out if my local Honda dealer is trying to pull the wool over my eyes or not because I've been given mixed answers and they are notorious for trying to charge for extras that aren't needed, a perfect example of this is trying to charge me a high price for bearing parts stating "we have to order directly from Honda Germany (I'm in the UK) as no other dealers do them locally" so I found a local Honda distributer for parts here in the UK and ordered the parts for a fraction of the price which they didn't seem to appreciate when I had them fitted

Ok, so, I ride a 2015 Forza that's only had one owner before me and he kept it in immaculate condition with full history, I got the bike at about 18600 miles on the clock about a year or so ago, I've just hit 21600 and had it serviced. Faults that came back were a warning on my brake disks (not the pads though) saying they are heavily worn and need changing asap. My problem is this, I've taken it to my mechanic friend who says it's weird to hear they they have said that and he reckons I've got a good range of miles left on the disks (He's a car mechanic but rides bikes himself otherwise I'd pay him to do the bike but he doesn't have the right gear)

I'm taking it for a second opinion to a smaller bike garage to see if he mentions it and if he doesn't then ask his opinion (I mainly took it to Honda cause they apparently know Honda bikes where as this one is more for choppers and not scooters), I'd rather be spending money on a second opinion that the price for new disks especially if they aren't needed, if they are then I guess it's just another expense

My bike is still kept in immaculate condition and cleaned and maintained each week and never had this problem with previous bikes regarding disks.

TLDR; Anyway, what mileage have people changed their disks at if they have had to?
Perhaps post a picture of the disks?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Discs shouldn't be worn out at that mileage but its possible the discs could have been damaged.
Impossible to tell without a visual inspection.
New discs without pads rings alarm bells though, new discs should get new pads.
I would avoid main Honda dealers like plague, find a good well recommended independent.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Front disc service limit is 4mm and the rear is 5mm. Warpage service limit is the same for both at 0.3mm. The other reason to change a disc is if there is deep grooves because you were to late changing the pads and ran steel on steel.

Ask the dealer what their numbers were and then measure them yourself (or your mechanic friend) to see if the dealer is lying to you.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Oops. :o Just saw this is in the Forza 125 forum. The specs I gave are for the '14-'16 Forza 300. :oops:
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
40jack

Post by 40jack »

Well I'll tell you one thing... My 2017 with only 8k on the clock, I looked at the front disk and it's got bad pitting on the surface. I'll be changing both front and rear disks and pads for Malossi kit. I'm not taking any chances on my brakes.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

What makes you think Malossi discs will be any better?
The ones you have are probably fine, can you post photos?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

40jack wrote:Well I'll tell you one thing... My 2017 with only 8k on the clock, I looked at the front disk and it's got bad pitting on the surface. I'll be changing both front and rear disks and pads for Malossi kit. I'm not taking any chances on my brakes.

Pitting is generally corrosion not wear.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:What makes you think Malossi discs will be any better?
Thicker disk, made from better materials, with race pads for better stopping power.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

you you wrote:
40jack wrote:Well I'll tell you one thing... My 2017 with only 8k on the clock, I looked at the front disk and it's got bad pitting on the surface. I'll be changing both front and rear disks and pads for Malossi kit. I'm not taking any chances on my brakes.

Pitting is generally corrosion not wear.
Well regardless its still a break in contact surface area. It's probably over kill but Like I said when it comes to safety on a motor bike you can't have too good a brakes.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

40jack wrote:Well regardless its still a break in contact surface area. It's probably over kill but Like I said when it comes to safety on a motor bike you can't have too good a brakes.
You do know that the limiting factor in braking is the contact between tyre and road?
ABS makes best use of the available friction.
The brake only needs to be powerful enough to activate the ABS on a good dry road surface, anything more is pointless.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The price you would pay for reinspection is probably the cost of a new disc.. If you have doubts its worth the price for a new disc.. its doubtful however that your discs are serious cause for concern.. But new is peace of mind..just do it yourself and save ..Always add new pads for best results and wear in .
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:
40jack wrote:Well regardless its still a break in contact surface area. It's probably over kill but Like I said when it comes to safety on a motor bike you can't have too good a brakes.
You do know that the limiting factor in braking is the contact between tyre and road?
ABS makes best use of the available friction.
The brake only needs to be powerful enough to activate the ABS on a good dry road surface, anything more is pointless.
You make a fair point and like I said it's probably over kill but I feel it might improve braking quality... I'll let y'all know when I fit them.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:What makes you think Malossi discs will be any better?

I've taken some pictures but not sure how to get them in here.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

[img]Front%20brake%20disk%20pitting.%20https://imgur.com/gallery/3wvBfLv[/img]
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That does look pretty bad, particularly the chunk missing at the hole, I would replace that.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:That does look pretty bad, particularly the chunk missing at the hole, I would replace that.
Looks like it's delaminating... Strange though on a bike that's done 8k