Steering head stock

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

40jack

Steering head stock

Post by 40jack »

Any one had problems with loose head stock? Anyone had a go and tightening it?

I've read that it's an issue with the forza specially on the UK roads.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Steering head stock

Post by gn2 »

Put it on centrestand and lift the front wheel off the ground by jacking it underneath somewhere or getting someone to lean on rear seat.
Turn the handlebars left and right.
If there's any notchy feel, particularly at the straight ahead position the bearings are screwed and need replaced.
Nightmare of a job due to bodywork removal.
Mine went 30-odd thousand miles without any adjustment needed.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:Put it on centrestand and lift the front wheel off the ground by jacking it underneath somewhere or getting someone to lean on rear seat.
Turn the handlebars left and right.
If there's any notchy feel, particularly at the straight ahead position the bearings are screwed and need replaced.
Nightmare of a job due to bodywork removal.
Mine went 30-odd thousand miles without any adjustment needed.
Ah right good to know... So after yours went did you simple tighten it or replace the bearings?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What makes you think mine went?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

My PCX started making a knocking sound when coming to a stop at about 20,000 miles. The noise only got louder and happened more often. The bearings were good though, no binding like gn2 mentioned. After doing it the hard way of removing all the plastics and the handlebars to get to the top nut, I think there's an easier way. Since we aren't servesing the bearings, only tightening down the tension nut a bit.

You might be able to just remove the dashboard plastic covering the steering stem. Then you need to loosen nut number 3, just a bit. Then go about adjusting the tension on the bearing with nut number 11, like states in the workshop manual. Admittedly, I ended looking up some YouTube videos on how to adjust the tension on those bearings. After the tension is good, tighten down nut number 3.

After I adjusted it, the problem hasn't returned. Good luck
Attachments
cover.JPG
cover.JPG (37.84 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
Captured.JPG
Captured.JPG (37.18 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

gn2 wrote:What makes you think mine went?

Ah sorry lol... I read it wrong, I thought you meant it was 30 000 miles before it went.
40jack

Post by 40jack »

Gil wrote:My PCX started making a knocking sound when coming to a stop at about 20,000 miles. The noise only got louder and happened more often. The bearings were good though, no binding like gn2 mentioned. After doing it the hard way of removing all the plastics and the handlebars to get to the top nut, I think there's an easier way. Since we aren't servesing the bearings, only tightening down the tension nut a bit.

You might be able to just remove the dashboard plastic covering the steering stem. Then you need to loosen nut number 3, just a bit. Then go about adjusting the tension on the bearing with nut number 11, like states in the workshop manual. Admittedly, I ended looking up some YouTube videos on how to adjust the tension on those bearings. After the tension is good, tighten down nut number 3.

After I adjusted it, the problem hasn't returned. Good luck

Thank you for that.