Up Here in Canada

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Up Here in Canada

Post by xixon »

Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Up Here in Canada

Post by Old Scoot »

:lol: I sure did very much so :lol:
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Loved it!!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Nice folks up there, but they forgot to mention the speed traps ?? "in Canada"
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Where a bridge is a pont . . .. :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It feels like Canada here this morning . . . only 36 F. o_O

Winds with gusts expected over 40 MPH.

It would be a good day for some pancakes and maple syrup. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

yes its zuma weather for sure
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

Old Grinner wrote:...... pancakes and maple syrup. :D
mmmmmmmmm
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Thanks!
(but wasn't basketball invented in Springfield, Mass?....or are they fibbing to the kids there?)
Fish
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

fish wrote:Thanks!
(but wasn't basketball invented in Springfield, Mass?....or are they fibbing to the kids there?)
Fish
Nah! Twas England!

The evolution of baseball from older bat-and-ball games is difficult to trace with precision. Consensus once held that today's baseball is a North American development from the older game rounders, popular among children in Great Britain and Ireland. Baseball Before We Knew It: A Search for the Roots of the Game (2005), by American baseball historian David Block, suggests that the game originated in England; recently uncovered historical evidence supports this position. Block argues that rounders and early baseball were actually regional variants of each other, and that the game's most direct antecedents are the English games of stoolball and "tut-ball". The earliest known reference to baseball is in a 1744 British publication, A Little Pretty Pocket-Book, by John Newbery. Block discovered that the first recorded game of "Bass-Ball" took place in 1749 in Surrey, and featured the Prince of Wales as a player. This early form of the game was apparently brought to Canada by English immigrants

o_O o_O
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

fish wrote:Thanks!
Fish
Wikipedia says:

The history of basketball began with its invention in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by Canadian physical education instructor James Naismith as a less injury-prone sport than football.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Wikipedia says:

The history of basketball began with its invention in 1891 in Springfield, Massachusetts by Canadian physical education instructor James Naismith as a less injury-prone sport than football.
The Basketball Hall of Fame is on the left as you pass by on Rt. 91 heading north through Springfield, MA.

Have gone by it many times on way up to Mt. Greylock, MA.

If you ever ride up to Mt. Greylock take it slow on the return trip back to avoid burning up your brakes. :?
P1010004a.jpg
P1010006a.jpg
P1010017a.jpg
P1010027a.jpg
And an even older pic taken by a stop on the Mohawk Trail, Rt. 2, while on an all day run with a group of Bandit riders and other sport bike enthusiasts . . .. 8)
magrlk7a.jpg
bone9.JPG
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Limey »

My bad - I read baseball when it said basketball!! Dyslexia sets in again. Darn it!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Old Grinner wrote:It feels like Canada here this morning . . . only 36 F. o_O

Winds with gusts expected over 40 MPH.

It would be a good day for some pancakes and maple syrup. :D
Hey old gronner,
Maybe you're familiar with the area ....what is the name of the Mt. or lookout, where you can stand and look down on the horseshoe, or OxBow, of the Connecticut river?
Not far from Holyoke, Amherst area?
Used to ride my Honda up there with wife on the back. We were married teenagers. Honda was white, so were my wife's tiny short shorts - can remember nothing else! ;-)

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Hey old gronner,
Maybe you're familiar with the area ....what is the name of the Mt. or lookout, where you can stand and look down on the horseshoe, or OxBow, of the Connecticut river?
Not far from Holyoke, Amherst area?
Used to ride my Honda up there with wife on the back. We were married teenagers. Honda was white, so were my wife's tiny short shorts - can remember nothing else! ;-)

Fish
TBH I had to look it up. I think it's near that Mt. Tom Reservation area. I haven't spent much time around Holyoke, MA. I usually just keep going up Rt. 91 until I get to either Yankee Candle or Rt. 2 in Deerfield (Mohawk Trail). I have traveled Rt. 91 all the way just short of the Canadian border (Barton) but in a car. I felt like taking a "joy ride" one time in my new Ford to enjoy the "cassette player" and premium sound system. Wow . . . I know. It was a big deal in '84.

Furthest north on a bike for me was Mt. Washington, N.H. (Conway too) on my KLR and Burlington VT. (Lake Champlain) on a Ninja 750R. Took a ferry boat across Lake Champlain to NY . . . it was back in '87 and my wife "to be" rode with me on what started out as a day ride up Rt. 7. Somehow we just kept going and going and going. Call me crazy. We got a motel and rode into Lake George Village for one of the first Americade East events. It rained . . . go figure. We rode all the way back to CT on a Sunday in rain. At least it wasn't boring. :roll:

Glad you enjoyed your youth as well. :D