Wanted to ride, battery almost dead

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Wanted to ride, battery almost dead

Post by vito »

My PCX150 is not even a full year old, and I kept it on a Battery Tender all winter. Today I was hoping to get it out for the first ride in a long time, and when I turned the key to on, the lights lit up, but when I hit the start button, nothing and the dash lights went out. I tried hooking it back up to the Battery Tender but it would not begin charging. So I guess I will not be riding today. I took the battery out (much more difficult a task to do than I would have imagined. I needed an extra hand, from my wife. As I was trying to slide the battery out, she held a flat screw driver under the battery to help lift it over the hump in the under seat area. I've never had a bike that was such a pain to get the battery out.) and brought it to the dealer. They will test it and said a new one will be ordered if they cannot get it fully charged. To be honest, I didn't think a battery would be covered by the warranty but its nice that it is covered. So the PCX ride will have to wait awhile.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Wanted to ride, battery almost dead

Post by Old Grinner »

Hope they just replace it for you . . ..

One would hope a new battery would last at least 3 years.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by vito »

I'm wondering now if the Battery Tender was defective and that unbeknownst to me the battery just ran down over time. The little green light stayed lit on the Battery Tender, so I assumed the battery was full charged. I have no idea how I would determine if that Battery Tender was not working properly. I've had Battery Tenders from Deltran for decades and never had even the smallest problem before.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The tender might be fine ...if the battery is trash, it’s not gonna hold a charge.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You need to understand that no one will be able to tell you how long that battery sat on a shelf before it was installed, and some batteries are just defective from the start. Honda depends on suppliers for items like batteries. So it is possible that they sent a bad battery to Honda.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vito wrote:I'm wondering now if the Battery Tender was defective and that unbeknownst to me the battery just ran down over time. The little green light stayed lit on the Battery Tender, so I assumed the battery was full charged. I have no idea how I would determine if that Battery Tender was not working properly. I've had Battery Tenders from Deltran for decades and never had even the smallest problem before.

Start the bike every couple of weeks Even if you use a tender. Let’s you know what the condition of the battery is, charges it and gets the fluids running around. Just run it long enough to get the condensation out of the exhaust and switch the bike of without revving it.

Worked for me for 40+ years but other opinions are available.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I needed an extra hand, from my wife. As I was trying to slide the battery out, she held a flat screw driver under the battery to help lift it over the hump in the under seat area. I've never had a bike that was such a pain to get the battery out.)
If you install the new battery yourself, first get some duck tape and fold it over onto itself so the adhesive matches up. Makes a strap of sorts about an inch wide. Make it long enough (15" or so) so you can lay it on the battery tray first, and then have the 2 ends sticking out - one from over the top of the battery and the other from underneath it.

Just tuck it in behind the little cover when you close it up. You can then grab the 2 ends with your fingers or pliers to lift the battery out next time you need to remove it. If the dealer installs a new battery, make a strap and take it to them to put in.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Start the bike every couple of weeks Even if you use a tender. Let’s you know what the condition of the battery is, charges it and gets the fluids running around. Just run it long enough to get the condensation out of the exhaust and switch the bike of without revving it.

Worked for me for 40+ years but other opinions are available.
X2

And I think the finish to the phrase was " . . . switch the bike off without revving it.".

An "old timer" told me that 50 years ago.

Back then a lot of bikes still had kick start too.

Running them occasionally helps prevent gaskets from drying/deteriorating or fuel systems from getting varnish-like sludge deposits.

Sometimes if I have trouble starting a bike in the Winter I may have to put it's battery on charge for a few hours but usually I can get it started on the next try. My Tender indicates to me when the battery won't take a charge. I had one relatively new battery crap out on me in short order one time (trying to save a few $$) and I never bought that brand again. I went back to my tried and true "Yuasa" brand and spent the extra money.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016

Post by big bear »

the battery in my x max dident make it through the first winter i bought it in august of 2018 and replaced the battery in febuary of 2019
xixon
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Black

Post by xixon »

my 2013 PCX has the original battery..... I have never used a battery charger/tender and have had no issues yet.

I ride my bike almost everyday and park in an underground parking lot which would never go colder than 15C/60F, so this may be a factor on its longevity.

I'm sure its days are getting numbered, but I won't replace it until there it starts showing some signs of deterioration
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016

Post by big bear »

you never know about batterys i had a truck battery that lasted 12 years and when it went it compleatly shorted out
rossm

Post by rossm »

If you thinking getting t the battery is fun on the Honda you should try the Kawasaki ZX12R, you have to take half the bike apart to get to it
Attachments
Charging the battery Small.jpg
Charging the battery Small.jpg (377.1 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by mymitzi »

ZX12R definitely needs a pigtail connector.............The switch to AGM batteries.......great improvement.
2013 PCX/2014 Forza still going with original batteries also. Too bad the tires don't last that long.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Fired up my 2013 today-no problem, the bike has sat for prolonged periods over the years and never had a problem with the original battery.
Had to swap out the batteries in my Kenworth after 15 years and my pickup after 11 years last year.
No battery tender on any but did start then once in awhile.
Luck of the draw I guess?
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

before you give up on the battery, make sure the battery tender is good. I had one once that actually reversed the charge and made the battery go dead. I don't even put a charger on my pcx during the winter and it starts right up. so far, so good. i'm going to leave it alone. my other motorcycles, bmw comes to mind, drain the batteries if they sit.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Battery tenders are a complete waste of time.
If the battery goes flat over a long period of inactivity, just charge it with a regular charger.
Quick battery tip: if you're removing a battery, put the screws back in the terminals BEFORE you lift the battery out.
This will stop your nuts falling out. :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:roll: :roll: :roll: I believe that could be quite painful. :roll: :roll: :roll:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gn2 wrote:Battery tenders are a complete waste of time.
If the battery goes flat over a long period of inactivity, just charge it with a regular charger.
Quick battery tip: if you're removing a battery, put the screws back in the terminals BEFORE you lift the battery out.
This will stop your nuts falling out. :D
I thought one reason to keep a battery charged was because a charged battery's freeze temperature is lower than that of a flat battery - that a battery freeze point rises as the charge drops. Is an issue for vehicles residing in cold areas and stored in unheated sheds, etc. I have no idea if this is actually correct, but I have seen customers buying new batteries exchange old battery cores with split cases.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

springer1 liking your duct "tape tip" :)

Quite a few good tips in this thread
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Old Scoot »

JohnL wrote:
gn2 wrote:..........This will stop your nuts falling out. :D
:roll: :roll: :roll: I believe that could be quite painful. :roll: :roll: :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: