How Cold Will You Go?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Re: How Cold Will You Go?

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Who cares about that tire when you have a winning lottery ticket.

Can I have 20k when you go and collect the winnings?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

Old Grinner wrote:
Tire is flat. I am staying home until spring!
Sometimes it's the valve and not the tire. I had a tire on my Suzuki that was losing air and later discovered it was the valve. It looked OK but the base was broken. I removed the wheel and took it to my local dealer to have the valve replaced. Sometimes the valve core may have issues. The only other thing you can do is the soapy water bubble search . . ..

It would be cheaper to plug the tire if it's relatively new.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Welcome to March! Spring is on the horizon. :D
On a previous Suzuki scooter I had the same problem, a few psi loss every month or so, finally a patient mechanic found that it was loosing very little from the base of the valve. But on that valve there was a nut from outside and he just turned it by half or 3/4 turn and the small leak stopped.

Now I loose a little every month on both Forza tires too but I had a look and there is no nut from outside (a bit like your photo), so I guess there are tightened by a nut from inside, is that right ... !?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Now I loose a little every month on both Forza tires too but I had a look and there is no nut from outside (a bit like your photo), so I guess there are tightened by a nut from inside, is that right ... !?
You can lose several psi when transitioning from warm weather to cold weather seasons. I usually figure from 3 to 5 psi . . .. But to lose psi on a regular basis it does sound like air is escaping somewhere albeit slowly.

Some motorcycle tire valves have nuts on top where you can readily get to them and some have nuts within the the rim where they have to be tightened when the tire is removed and replaced and some which have a bulbous rubber base need to be "snap fit" in.

Hope this helps. A video for each type of valve . . ..

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I was one of the most feared people in Canada today. I went for a scooter ride.

It was almost nice out. I got a bit of rain here and there.

If you step away from the computer the world almost seems normal in places. The roads were a wee bit emptier.

I rode my Forza up to Lytton, BC today on my way to get groceries although it was about a 200 kilometre detour. But I did buy food at every stop. I had my pepperoni in Yale, my ice cream in Boston Bar and my tea at Lytton. Coffee at Boston Bar, pee break in Yale. My main grocery stop was in Hope before I went home to Flood.

Yale people were normal, B Bar was the usual strange but Lytton has an Asian run grocery store. The old lady there usually wears rubber gloves all year round. Her daughter (?) was wearing a big mask and construction rubber gloves. I am hearing impaired so I was unable to lip read her. Her English is poor at the best of times.

The weather was threatening but no snow fell, unlike yesterday.

I was expecting police road blocks but not yet.

We all had to play hopscotch in the main Hope grocery store. They have not yet installed the bullet proof cages around the cashiers. The shelves were empty of a lot of items. I basically got all that I wanted but no bananas.

Our gas prices have gone from $1.399 to $0.999 per litre. It does not make much of a difference with the Forza 300. But it helps.

Our Prime Minister is a failed drama school teacher so I expect life will be stupid here for a long time. He likes dressing up in costumes. I guess a mask is just another costume for him.

I received a new spark plug in the mail from Great Britain today. It is really stupid that it is a lot cheaper than one from my local dealer. I am still expecting brake pads & a rear brake disk. I do not know if my Chinese belt will get here. My UK belt got cancelled by the seller.

I talked to a local guy in the grocery store. He liked my Forza 300 so he bought a 2014 Forza brand new a few months ago. He wants to sell his with only 15 km on the odometer. I have no money so I had to say no. He wanted too much anyway.

I cleaned my toilet today. Tomorrow I might clean my desk or the kitchen (the horrors).
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

Well, I found a few days ago that there are very fine small cracks within the threads of my both tires, tire dates are week 19 year 2016 on both, Forza 2016 and original Dunlop tires, there are more cracks on back tire, very few fine ones on front. They says this is caused by dry rubber, I only have 11.5km now, but the bike was not used much till last Feb 2019 when I bought it with 750km on it.

So I guess air can also scape from these small cracks, and generally due to hardened old rubber. I have read the rubber is just got old, under the Thai sun, and it's expected, I have to change them I guess, although they almost have half thread on them. Probably not very dangerous but they have lost their soft property I think...

Choices are the same Dunlop from Honda, or Pirelli Angel Scooter in the correct size, I don't want wider tires, so will choose one if these, I think probably Angel, has good reviews...!
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I am death and you will fear me on my Honda Forza 300.

I checked my winning lottery ticket at Popkum, I have a free ticket for Fridays draw. Tim Hortons would not serve me.

I went to Harrison Hot Springs but they have barricaded the road. They do not want my money at Starbucks.

I went to Sqewqel Gas Bar instead and bought Rockstar Orange.

I then checked on the under construction ev charging station in Hope. Not open yet.

The Coquihalla Tunnels were also not open so I headed up the highway to about 4500 foot were there was snow. The truckers bathrooms were open. A lot are not. The trip down was very dangerous. I like going up but hate going down.

Time for supper, 127,943 km on the Forza. It needs washing, maybe tomorrow.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The forecast is for Rain At Times Heavy.

I am getting old. I might just be a good boy and stay home.

Next month the sun might shine and then I go unless they point a gun at me.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I have received 3 of my 4 recent eBay orders now after 3 weeks. I have my Greek rear racing brake disk, my spark plug and my China drive belt. I am still waiting for my Brembo pads out of Wales.

It rained very hard this morning so I took the 4x4 to McDonalds to use my breakfast coupon for lunch. No hash browns after 11 so I got fries and I had to eat them in the truck. No refills on the coffee but I got a coffee sticker.

I went for a walk with the town drunks making a lot of noise. The RCMP office is closed. Starbucks is closed except drive through. They would not serve me walking.

The new EV chargers at PetroCan were empty. The new gas station up the road is progressing. It may never open??? I won a free ticket on the lotto!!!

3 o'clock and it is not raining. I might ride??? But where??? Ride towards the light.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I went to Popkum and had half a Rockstar. Harrison Hot Springs still has the barricades.

I headed back to Hope but had to make a pit stop at a closed government rest area. I would like to meet the government official in charge because he must be full of shit by now. The rest area is closed most of the winter.

It was too early to go home so I did a quick ride to Yale. Nothing exciting. Back to Hope because the gas station I use closes at 6 pm now.

Supper and YouTube for the evening.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Good luck with the free lottery ticket! :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The lottery office where they write the cheques is probably closed until next year.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I got my Brembo brake pads from Wales. I did not expect any of my eBay stuff and I got it all.

Yesterday’s snow is melting. I have my McDonald’s breakfast I need groceries. Wish me luck.
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Good luck :D
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
dank_nipples
Color: Red

Post by dank_nipples »

Lowest temp I've ridden to work in (14 miles one way) was 17F on my old '84 CH125. It had vents that you could open or close to put heat through onto your legs from the radiator, so it wasn't too terrible, but my kneecaps felt like they were frozen solid by the time I got there. I feel like every water cooled scooter should have the heat vents as the air flows that way naturally. I dumped the same scoot on some invisible ice/frost around a turn at 7 AM when it was 22F. It was in a 30 MPH zone and I was slowing down to turn and the wheels just slipped out from under me. I didn't get hurt, still made it to work on time even. Since then I've been a little shy to ride below freezing, but as someone else said if it has been dry for a few days, I will usually go for it, and just stay off the highway and take it really easy on turns. I think the lowest I rode my '85 CH250 was 22 degrees, no heater on that one, so it was damn cold. My coat blocks pretty close to 100% of the wind so its really just my knees and thighs that get super cold. I've only had my NSS300A for a week, and the lowest its been on my commute has been like 38 so far but there's a lot less protection for my hands than on my old Elites, and the windshield is still a bit short, even with the upgraded taller one!
2014 NSS300A
1984 CH125
dembones
Year: 2015 Forza
Color: 2016 PCX

Post by dembones »

With the right riding gear I have no problem riding all the way down to just above freezing. When there is ice on the ground I call it quits!