2014 Honda Forza 300 No start

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

nicholashall13
Year: 2014
Color: red

2014 Honda Forza 300 No start

Post by nicholashall13 »

I have a 2014 Honda Forza 300. It will crank but not start. I checked the spark and its good, fuel pump is good, sprayed the injector and carb down with cleaner, changed the oil, and cleaned all the electrical connectors. All lights and gages cycle when the key is turned on, all lights and horn works. Good air filter as well. It will start for a couple seconds and die out. And it started and idled rough for about 15 seconds, and when i hit the throttle it died. Also it will crank for a good 30 seconds before even attempting to start. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you. I would love to get it going in time for when its warm every day. Not ready to give up on it yet, its only got 3,000 miles on it. I think its something small and stupid im just having trouble figuring out what it is.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 2014 Honda Forza 300 No start

Post by gn2 »

Has it been sat for a while?

Get it up on the centrestand.
Get your helmet and gloves on so you're ready to ride away immediately.
Try cranking it with the throttle ever so slightly open, if it starts to catch, keep cranking and increase throttle till it fires up, once it does start do not close or reduce the throttle, rev the fuck out of it for a while then ride it immediately without turning it off.
Ride it for at least 30-45 minutes preferably as fast as possible.

Mine used to be reluctant to start after a while sitting (couple of months) and a good thrashing always fixed it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

nicholashall13 wrote: I checked the spark and its good, fuel pump is good,
Did you check the spark plug? Was it wet? Is it new or known to be good? Or did you mean you verified the presence of a spark?

How did you check the fuel pump? Did you measure the fuel pressure and verified it is within spec?

If the scoot has been sitting for a long time, the fuel pick up screen in the tank may gave gunked up.

I assume you tried the flooded engine starting procedure.

Cranking it with wide open throttle for about 7 seconds. Then cranking with fully closed throttle.

Has the bike been running prior to this? Any issues? How long has it been sitting?

BTW, 30 seconds to crank an engine is too long. You can damage the starter components/circuit, the battery and possibly more.

Starter button should not be held for more than 12 seconds at a time, then allowed to cool off. That is if you care about the machine...

If the scooter is not yours and no history is known, may need to start by verifying having sufficient compression in the cylinder.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Yeah, don't crank so long or you'll be replacing the fried starter.
A 3000 mile engine hasn't lost compression, unless your plug is loose. And it's not.
Let it sit if you've flooded it. Then, as g2 said - if you get it to light - ride off on it!
Fish
Austins
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Forza 300
Color: White

Post by Austins »

I also +1 the bad fuel scenario, need to empty the tank and all the pipes, then refuel ....

Assuming you have checked properly all mentioned stuff, there may also be a bad short somewhere stealing current and electricity from the spark plug, or causing inconsistent delivery, not easy to detect....
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Probably water in the fuel tank. Drain it or add sea foam or some other fuel treatment.

Check the air filter also.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Replace fuel pump.How did you check the fuel pump??
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

Sounds like bad fuel. If you have not used the Forza over winter, then it is a good chance that the fuel has gone off.