2019/2020 PCX or SMAX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

MotorMike
Year: 2016
Color: Dark Candy Red

2019/2020 PCX or SMAX

Post by MotorMike »

Now that the new PCX models have a higher top speed, carry less weight and have a new gauge cluster, is there any reason to consider the SMax?

I had a 2016 PCX and I sold it a year ago. I’ve regretted it, so I am looking to replace it. I loved how lightweight it was. I am considering the SMax, but it’s heavier and hasn’t been updated. It seems like a lot of people on this forum have ridden both, so any input would be appreciated.
Motorcycles are like women... they are fun to ride for a while but eventually you’ll want something else.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: 2019/2020 PCX or SMAX

Post by Old Grinner »

I formerly owned a 2017 PCX.

I found the seat to be uncomfortable and not dished back far enough. However I did like the leg position and ability to rotate the handlebar all the way right or left fully locked and not have it contact my knees.

One other thing, and it's like fighting "City Hall" but I did contact Honda about my dislike for what I consider to be the reverse setup for the horn button and turn signal switch in contrast to the more traditional/familiar layout on various other marques. When I went to signal I'd beep and when I went to beep I'd signal. I found it annoying. However for some I guess it's not a problem. I could work around it but the seat was a deal breaker. I traded it in for a Zuma 125 after having owned it just over a year. I'm really happy with the Zuma.

Recently I visited a Honda dealer and got to sit on a 2019 PCX that has the new updated features including the seat. Just sitting on it in the showroom I really felt that it was significantly more comfortable. The seat had cushy padding and my first impression was that I could enjoy riding it more than my previous one. The seat height on the 2019 is a tad bit higher than my 2017 and I noticed with the handlebar fully locked left or right that it seemed to lightly brush my knees (but not a deal breaker). I think the thicker padding in the seat just makes the rider higher off the road (but worth it). If I ever get the money and they still make the PCX I can see myself getting a new one. I really did like the performance, fuel economy, handling, and underseat stowage of my 2017. The LED headlight was really good too!

About the SMax. I've sat on one several times. Long story short it either fits or it doesn't fit. My legs are not that long, although I'm tall, so for me it was a comfortable fit. I really liked the seat on it. It was significantly more comfortable than my 2017 PCX. My legs and feet found a sweet spot and there was no handlebar interference with my knees. The SMax really is a nice machine. The horn and turn signal switch is where it should be IMHO. It's fast from what I've seen on video reviews and you've gotta like those disc brakes front and rear. I almost bought one but decided to spend the extra money and get the XMax instead. The XMax surpassed my expectations. But getting back to the SMax reviews . . . There was one done here a while ago.

Here's a link to it. https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... 69&start=0

The reason I stepped up to the XMax was that I've got a 1200cc Suzuki that I may sell or trade someday. I may end up trading that for a new PCX. But not right now. I still want to be able to take a passenger in comfort for an hour or so and felt that the XMax would fulfill that need that I'd lose if I parted with the Suzuki. My days of riding interstate are over. Too much traffic and infrastructure issues. The list goes on but I'll leave it there.

I'd say list your priorities and get the machine that's the most comfortable for you and checks the most boxes on your "must have" list.

I will say that I think the PCX is the nicest looking of the two . . .. :D

Hope I made sense and you found it helpful. :geek:
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I wouldn't trade a honda for a yamaha. Don't like the look of s-max, it seems out of proportion.
The new PCX is not really any faster than the old one, although I know there are claims about splitting hairs here and there. The new PCX has a smaller displacement engine - 149cc, so technically making it illegal for freeways on interstate.

New PCX has dull colors, and the digital cluster is probably going to go crazy here in California sun in the summer.

I like the ABS feature on new PCX though. If they had a white one, maybe I'd consider it but I am perfectly happy with my white 2018.

You had a 2016 so you know exactly what you miss.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

I Would have something else,a Honda sh 125 mode.but that's me.
MotorMike
Year: 2016
Color: Dark Candy Red

Post by MotorMike »

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the feedback.

I’ll have to sit on the smax before I make a decision. I won’t be doing any freeway riding, so that’s not an issue.

I live about 3 miles from my office, the drive is all twisty backroads so I thought the PCX would be perfect for that. I do live in an area with a lot of hills so that’s a consideration also. The PCX did ok with the hills for the most part, I could maintain about 45 up the biggest one. I didn’t know if the smax may handle them a bit better.

The smax is 40lbs heavier and only has 1hp more which seems like it would be a wash to me.
Motorcycles are like women... they are fun to ride for a while but eventually you’ll want something else.
op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

I've ridden the 2014 Smax, I've also ridden a 2017 Aerox 155/NVX 155, and currently ride a 2019 PCX 150.

The two scooters are kind of bad to compare directly IMO. One is for more RV riding, the other is for more sporty riding. The riding position reflects this a lot. The Smax and Aerox all felt more setup for you to attack the corner, they felt much better leaning over than the PCX. But for comfort, can't beat the PCX.

I'm 5'11 and I would hands down go for the PCX 150 as the Smax flat out doesn't fit me as the fuel tank is under the foot. It is more convenient for sure but for longer rides, it would give me cramps having to curl up my legs like that. The smax also felt heavier and just didn't feel as intuitive as the pcx did on first ride. I've gone on 3-4 hour rides on both the Aerox and PCX and on the PCX my bum felt fine... on the Aerox my bum was absolutely numb. Didn't go for long rides on the smax as it was a rental but given how soon everyone changes the seats on the SMAX after purchase, I would say it's not that comfortable.

I actually bought the Aerox 155 in 2017 cause I wanted a 150cc scooter and the looks attracted me enough to buy it. At the time however I was undecided between the Aerox and the PCX, what ultimately pushed me to the Aerox is the price difference where I am between the two scooters(around $1500 US price difference between the Aerox 155 and the PCX 150) But I ultimately sold the Aerox and bought the PCX 150 and I'm very happy that I did.