Something Leaking?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

mcgw
Year: 2019 PCX 150
Color: Bronze Metallic

Re: Something Leaking?

Post by mcgw »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote: That's kinda shady. So they used the whole quart? How much did they put in? How low was it when you checked the bikes oil?
He said he topped it off. I don't know much about scooters yet. I just bought this a few weeks ago, saw the oil leaking and called the dealer. I didn't check anything - just handed it right back (they came and picked it up). I need to work on being more mechanically savvy. I'm sure I'll learn over time. I'll call the service manager tomorrow for clarification.
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Doesn't sound like the bike ran low on oil then, which is good. Glad you're back up and riding. Check the oil level and see where it's at.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Some service centers use a big oil drum to fill all of their services bikes, so they wouldn't have any "left over". It has to do with economics, but I am betting that they forgot to add the crush washer for the oil drain plug but wouldn't admit it. I really, really doubt that your oil leaked from a loose dip stick...though I have seen oil come out of the dip stick hole when over filled and the dip stick was left off all together.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Thats why they call them stealerships. Wasn't it them who sold the bike to you and you paid a dealer prep fee or set up fee . Honda requires the dealer to fill the oil crankcase. Seems like their negligence to me and I don't think it was prepped properly if you had a loose oil cap /dip stick.. Also 4.95 for misc. fee.?? what is that about..
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

easyrider wrote:Thats why they call them stealerships. Wasn't it them who sold the bike to you and you paid a dealer prep fee or set up fee . Honda requires the dealer to fill the oil crankcase. Seems like their negligence to me and I don't think it was prepped properly if you had a loose oil cap /dip stick.. Also 4.95 for misc. fee.?? what is that about..
The good news is I have options. Thankfully, there are two other Honda authorized service centers nearby for future routine maintenance. I can vote with my dollars :)
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Mel46 wrote:Some service centers use a big oil drum to fill all of their services bikes, so they wouldn't have any "left over".
Paperwork said "QUART". They put in say 2 ounces as a top up and they charge for a quart? I would want to know how low the oil was.

easyrider wrote:Also 4.95 for misc. fee.?? what is that about..
Is that the labor charge to tighten the cap?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mcgw wrote:
easyrider wrote:Thats why they call them stealerships. Wasn't it them who sold the bike to you and you paid a dealer prep fee or set up fee . Honda requires the dealer to fill the oil crankcase. Seems like their negligence to me and I don't think it was prepped properly if you had a loose oil cap /dip stick.. Also 4.95 for misc. fee.?? what is that about..
The good news is I have options. Thankfully, there are two other Honda authorized service centers nearby for future routine maintenance. I can vote with my dollars :)

I think this scooter could potentially work out expensive unless you learn some new skills.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

you you wrote:I think this scooter could potentially work out expensive unless you learn some new skills.
You can bet it will be expensive at the rate they are taking your money. How much does a quart of oil cost?...$8 - $10??
So you just paid a small fortune for their mistake. Well, time to buy a manual and learn about your little scooter. They will be sad to see you go, but your wallet will be quite happy. Most scooters are not that difficult to maintain. Certainly little things like oil changes shouldn't be expensive. Dealers can make them much more expensive than they should be. (Oil changes take 10 minutes and doing it yourself should mean that the cost is that of a quart of oil. There are no filters. Just a screen.)

If you do not feel comfortable doing maintenance at first, let the dealer do the 600 mile checkup. After that, do it yourself. The 1st checkup will be close to $300.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Mel46 wrote:Well, time to buy a manual and learn about your little scooter. They will be sad to see you go, but your wallet will be quite happy.
Agreed!
Also with such a nice forum as this, just browsing this forum, reading through all the how-to section - watching some nice videos such as those on youtube from precision cutdown - also a member here (a.k.a. homie) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bme51uDO4zI ) will already get you really far ;).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Is there any chance the OP removed the dipstick to check the oil and then didn't screw it down securely ? If so, the crankcase pressure would cause oil blow-by causing the right rear of the scoot to get soiled like shown in the photo, and when left to sit - the accumulated oil would drip down on the floor.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I’d hate for something like this to put someone off scootering. It would have cheesed me right off.

I know what kind off “reaching out” I’d be doing to the dealer.

Hope it goes well from now on.
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

springer1 wrote:Is there any chance the OP removed the dipstick to check the oil and then didn't screw it down securely ?
No.
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

[quote="Mel46"Well, time to buy a manual and learn about your little scooter.[/quote]

Is Haynes good? That is what came up on my search.
mcgw

Post by mcgw »

Ganglylamb wrote: Also with such a nice forum as this, just browsing this forum, reading through all the how-to section - watching some nice videos such as those on youtube from precision cutdown - also a member here (a.k.a. homie) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bme51uDO4zI ) will already get you really far ;).
Yes! I've been getting so much help. Great resource. I hope to learn and pay it forward.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

mcgw wrote:[quote="Mel46"Well, time to buy a manual and learn about your little scooter.
Is Haynes good? That is what came up on my search.[/quote]

I can't say whether the Haynes version is good or not. All of my copies are Honda Service Manuals, but mine only goes up thru 2017. My cover looks like this:
Honda_PCX150_Service_Manual_1.jpg
Honda_PCX150_Service_Manual_1.jpg (274.23 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mcgw wrote:[quote="Mel46"Well, time to buy a manual and learn about your little scooter.
Is Haynes good? That is what came up on my search.[/quote]

Get the Honda version if possible. Haynes if there is no other possible alternative.