Idling stop stopped working after drained battery

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Idling stop stopped working after drained battery

Post by masator »

I have a PCX 2019 model. I left it in the garage for 2 weeks and the battery got drained so I had to jump start it. After riding it for 2 days (over 4 hours in total) I wanted to enable idling stop but it didn't work. Basically, the green A light goes on and it switches off after 2 seconds. I have put the battery on charger and measured 12.7v.

Any idea what can be the issue? It worked perfectly fine before the battery got drained?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Idling stop stopped working after drained battery

Post by gn2 »

There is a battery protection facility built into the ECU.
Idle stop is automatically disabled if the battery isn't up to it.

Battery shouldn't drain in two weeks, it should hold charge for two months easy.
Have you fitted any aftermarket electricals or done any fiddling?
Take it for a good long run out of town to get it fully charged up then see how it behaves.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
masator

Post by masator »

I have oxford heated grips (fitted by the dealer), datatool tracker and the alarm. I left it before for over 2 weeks but didn't have an issue starting it. I was trying to find a lithium battery but I don't see Shido model for 2019 version.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sounds to me like those accessories are draining the battery.
Take it back to dealer and get them to sort it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018/19
Color: RED

Post by Yorkie150 »

I have a July 2018 model ( its the same as the 2019 - LED lights etc ) -- Its very low mileage - less than 250 miles from new ....I rode it just after Christmas in very cold weather and the the idle stop was very intermittent - particularly after a long steep hill near I live...I went to the local Honda dealer who advised that the cold weather affects the idle stop sensor - the engine has to be at a certain temp for it to function so that it doesn't out too much drain on the battery - The ecu does all the checks etc and if its not warm enough or there is a low battery level - it will not operate . I keep my PCX connected to an Optimate smart charger..My garage workshop is usually heated with a wood burning stove when Im working in there but over Christmas there has been no heating on...so the optimate is connected.
If your PCX Its still under warranty then I would advise you take it to your Honda dealer and let then run a battery / electric / diagnostics rather than tinker with it yourself...It may be something simple as a loose connection or it may be expensive - thats what warrantees are for after all..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/769137659827490/
masator

Post by masator »

I didn't take the bike for a second service (did it myself) so I think I might have lost the warranty :-)
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

I would still take it in and see what they say
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

my bike was first reg in July 2018 it has 230 miles on the clock - and hasn't had a first service yet and I checked with dealer - he said that as long as I had the first service under 600 miles then warranty would be ok...Long story on how it only has low mileage :)
masator

Post by masator »

Just had a conversation with the dealer, they said most likely the tracker drained the battery. I'm surprised as I believe Datatool doesn't update GPS location unless the bike is being nudged.
Yorkie150
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Yorkie150 »

get an optimate or similar and plug it in when the bike is not in use.....keeps the battery in top condition.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

masator wrote:Just had a conversation with the dealer, they said most likely the tracker drained the battery. I'm surprised as I believe Datatool doesn't update GPS location unless the bike is being nudged.
Depends on how its been wired in.
If it has an electrical supply while the ignition switch is off, the battery is guaranteed to get drained.
All electrical accessories should be wired so that they are off when the ignition switch is off.
masator

Post by masator »

I have checked the current drain when bike is switched off and it's 0.04 amps. I have also attached the battery to Optimate charges which shows it as healthy. Not sure why idle/stop doesn't work.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Get rid of it(idle Stop) .. nothing but a headache.. Do they sell an eliminator kit for that bike?
Something parasitic is draining your battery.. Any LED lights on? clocks running?.. Battery may be in poor health
masator

Post by masator »

I thought 40ma is low drain since I have Datatool GPS tracker, alarm and Oxford heated grips.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Assuming a battery is 8AH's, 40ma drain should totally drain the battery in 8 days!
40mA's for an 8AH battery gives 200 hours which is just over 8 days - if I did the sums correctly.
The ECU idle-stop battery monitoring / disable is not linear but has ramped stages so the battery may still have some volts at a particular current drain but the ECU will disable idle-stop (and it may remember readings) to allow the bike to start normally.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

masator wrote:I have oxford heated grips (fitted by the dealer), datatool tracker and the alarm. I left it before for over 2 weeks but didn't have an issue starting it. I was trying to find a lithium battery but I don't see Shido model for 2019 version.
Are you sure the alternator is even able to supply enough current for the heated grips?

What's your alternator's output and what is the power consumption of these grips?
Your batter may never be able to fully recover from load it might be bearing due to insufficient alternator current...
masator

Post by masator »

The alternator is showing 14.55v and when I turn on the grips it's oscilating from 14,25v -> 14.5. I didn't use the grips much in the last week but they worked without issues when I tested them. I didn't check the current usage with them being turned on.
masator

Post by masator »

Just a quick update for other who are experiencing battery drain. In my case was Datatool tracker that was stuck in alerting mode after I cancelled the subscription.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
masator wrote:I have oxford heated grips (fitted by the dealer), datatool tracker and the alarm. I left it before for over 2 weeks but didn't have an issue starting it. I was trying to find a lithium battery but I don't see Shido model for 2019 version.
Are you sure the alternator is even able to supply enough current for the heated grips?

What's your alternator's output and what is the power consumption of these grips?
Your batter may never be able to fully recover from load it might be bearing due to insufficient alternator current...

There is no problem with heated grips.