The most miles per tank

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

The most miles per tank

Post by djcat »

Greetings everybody!

Just had one of those lightbulb moments at work :-D

Knowing how incredibly cheap I run around on my PCX, I don't really care much about how much it costs me to fill up. What I am curious about though is to know what would be the utmost in tank range on it and how to get it! I imagine that keeping a constant speed of about 40 to 50 mph (restricted A-road territory) would be ideal, as neither city traffic nor flat our national speed limit zones gave me the best possible mpg I think.

Thanks for your valuable input!

Cheerio!
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Re: The most miles per tank

Post by Urbanian »

When riding my 50cc scooter, I learned which are the best roads for covering the most distance with the fewest stops and the most gentle traffic patterns. My first few weeks with my PCX I stuck to what I knew and didn’t drive too aggressively, and got stupendous mpg. My first tank of gas “filled” by the dealer didn’t give exceptional mileage, but tanks 2, 3, 4 netted 114, 102, and 118 mpg, with overall performance of 110 mpg. Note this is US gallons.

Keep a steady 35 mph, and you could easily pass 125 mpg.

I am less selective how and where I drive now, and my average is down in the 90s.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Compared to other scooters, the tank range isn't very good.
Small throttle openings, flat terrain, lightweight rider and still air are what you want for best fuel economy.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

It would help to know if you have a 125 or 150. On my 150 i keep in mind that aggressive riding will get me no further than 115 miles and taking it easy will get me 140 miles comfortably. I have noticed that 35 mph is about the point were wind starts to pull down on mpg.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Compared to other scooters, the tank range isn't very good.
Small throttle openings, flat terrain, lightweight rider and still air are what you want for best fuel economy.
And bike serviced properly with the lightest oil recomended and correct tyre the pressures. No flappy clothes or luggage either?

Anyone else have any suggestions?
PCX Commuter
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by PCX Commuter »

Old thread, but I'm really working to try and maximize the mpg on mine. My Metro scooter was almost always flat-out on throttle, so mileage was actually pretty poor for 50cc at around 70-80mpg. The PCX in my first month has been all over the place from the low 70's to a high of 92mpg on the last tank. Might be a mix of breaking it in, but boy does faster speeds just suck the mpg right out. I'm a little disappointed at the small size of the tank, because I do have to stop more often. Of course, fill-ups are crazy fast at 1.4 gallons or so.

Like everyone else said, light throttle with smooth acceleration seems to be the biggest key. So tricky with PGM-FI and 150cc! It really likes to shoot right out there from a dead stop!
Currently own: 2013 Honda PCX 150, 2002 Honda Metropolitan
Previously owned: 1978 Honda NC50