Forza 300 Drive

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mark65
Year: 2019
Color: Blue

Forza 300 Drive

Post by Mark65 »

Hi,
So while I continue to look for a new bike I thought I would sort out a few of the faults with my Forza, I started with the bit of exhaust rust staring, a quick sand and clean with thinners and a few coats of PJ1 paint seems to have sorted that one, now onto my judder.
I removed the casing and it had an absolutely loads of black powder/dust in there it was everywhere , caked on, it took an hour with a stiff brush and little screwdriver to remove it all from all the nooks an crannies in the casing, variator and clutch.
I noticed a black mark on the bottom of the casing about 4 inches long (belt slap?), the clutch wasn't shiny glazed but more of a satin so I sanded that and the bell housing, i think my judder/slipping was due to the large amount of belt dust.
I greased what needed it, the clutch bearings and that little bit that sits in casing bearing, the clutch was a bugger to open up with the strong spring as I had to stand on it to open and slide a 10mm spanner in the gap and used a little thread lock then torqued it up, I started the bike to make sure all was ok as the variator sat about 1mm proud on the shaft, all seemed fine so I put the casing back on cleaned the filter for the casing and went for a ride, woot like a new bike again, the variator plates did have a little wear it seems like a waviness on the faces of about .5 - 1mm, is this normal at 4700 miles?.
Next is an oil change with the diff as well I do that at 4k intervals, did one at 450m then about 1200m so next will be at 5k.
Now a few questions if anyone has answers please let me know, my manual says oil at 600m ,8000m and belt and oil at 16000m with plug and filter in between, nowhere does it say to remove casing and strip your drive system down to clean it every 5k, one of the reasons to buy the Forza was the reduced maintenance, I luckily am capable of doing this, what if I wasn't, would it be book into a dealer and hope its done under warranty or will they say its down to being ridden to gently and so is chargeable?. Is this a one off or will it happen again at another 4-5k? if so the Honda is very misleading on this in their user manual.
Anyway it runs well and is all polished up.

Mark
mymitzi
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Forza 300 Drive

Post by mymitzi »

Over 16,000 miles on my Forza........no complaints. Cleaned up the drive at about 8,500mi. Due for a new belt but will likely
hold off till winter is past. Changed oil/filter @ 8K intervals as recommended. Judder hasn't been a problem. Probably a good
idea to stay after it with 5,000 mile [drive checks] Its been a little over 8,000 miles since looking at mine. Running so well,
probably will wait till belt replacement.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Forza 300 Drive

Post by gn2 »

Mark65 wrote:Next is an oil change with the diff as well I do that at 4k intervals
Final drive casing oil change interval is two years irrespective of mileage.
Engine oil is 8,000 miles or annual whichever comes first.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong