Should I Replace Stock Tires Early?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Should I Replace Stock Tires Early?

Post by honkerman »

Dude, I get it completely. That squidgy feel on wet roads is terrifying. My Piaggio has shinko tires on it, and I do not ride it in the rain. do the right thing for yourself and be safe.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl white

Post by WhiteJLY »

I've ridden my stock IRC tyres to 14,000 km which includes some really wet ride in the rain on the motorway. Only now I felt like there is something slipping
WhiteJLY
2018 Pearl White V4 PCX, 149cc
Malaysia
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

The cheapest tire on the market with full tread is always safer than the best tire in the world, worn out.

Borderline tires betray you on wet slippery surfaces. You can get away with it temporarily in the hot, dry summer, but during a sudden rainstorm ? when road oil floats to the surface ?

And new tires don't suffer from mysterious slow leaks. Replace the valve stem each time you replace a tire. Rear tires wear out twice as fast as front tires.

There is no need to replace a tire in good condition full of tread. Tires aren't free. Use em. Replace em when tread starts balding.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have Michelin City Grips on both of my bikes. We found them to be much better for the sudden rain showers that pop up while riding. Side by side comparison was enough for me to swap the new IRC tires for MCGs.

I bought my PCX after trading in my Burgman. We had been riding a lot, with me on the Burgman and my wife on the PCX 150. We both had MCGs on our bikes. Then I traded down because we started to do much more local riding than long rides in the country. My new PCX, which was the same model year as the one my wife was riding, came with IRCs. We would swap bikes back and forth after I modded both the same. The MCGs made a world of difference in cornering and riding in the rain, so I swapped out my new IRCs for MCGs and have been quite happy with the difference.

Still, there are riders who prefer their IRCs, so it is a preference.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WhiteJLY »

OldGuywhoTinkers wrote:The cheapest tire on the market with full tread is always safer than the best tire in the world, worn out.

Borderline tires betray you on wet slippery surfaces. You can get away with it temporarily in the hot, dry summer, but during a sudden rainstorm ? when road oil floats to the surface ?

And new tires don't suffer from mysterious slow leaks. Replace the valve stem each time you replace a tire. Rear tires wear out twice as fast as front tires.

There is no need to replace a tire in good condition full of tread. Tires aren't free. Use em. Replace em when tread starts balding.
Well thought and said
WhiteJLY
Malaysia
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WhiteJLY »

Mel46 wrote:I have Michelin City Grips on both of my bikes. We found them to be much better for the sudden rain showers that pop up while riding. Side by side comparison was enough for me to swap the new IRC tires for MCGs.

I bought my PCX after trading in my Burgman. We had been riding a lot, with me on the Burgman and my wife on the PCX 150. We both had MCGs on our bikes. Then I traded down because we started to do much more local riding than long rides in the country. My new PCX, which was the same model year as the one my wife was riding, came with IRCs. We would swap bikes back and forth after I modded both the same. The MCGs made a world of difference in cornering and riding in the rain, so I swapped out my new IRCs for MCGs and have been quite happy with the difference.

Still, there are riders who prefer their IRCs, so it is a preference.
Your post made me want to replace my tyres, both of them. Tell me, do you get designated 'rear' tyres for your rear or the rear tyres can be used for front usage as well? I have been looking but near my place they only stocked "front tyres" for size 120/70-14, and the shops told me that it can be used as rear tyre as well. If so, why did the factory marked it as front tyres...
WhiteJLY
Malaysia
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have read somewhere else on this forum that someone bought a 120/70-14 front tire, mounted it backwards on the rear, and went riding. I think he found that the air box was rubbing so he tied it up to get enough clearance. You will probably have to consider that. Here is the thread I think I read that tire swap on.

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

WhiteJLY wrote:Tell me, do you get designated 'rear' tyres for your rear or the rear tyres can be used for front usage as well? I have been looking but near my place they only stocked "front tyres" for size 120/70-14, and the shops told me that it can be used as rear tyre as well. If so, why did the factory marked it as front tyres...
Tyres should only ever be used on the wheels they are designed and marked for.
Tyres can be marked
<F, R> or <F/R>
You should always use the sizes listed in the owner's manual which came with the scooter/bike.
Anything else is the wrong size.
A dealer knowingly fitting an incorrectly marked or sized tyre isn't a dealer you should be using.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WhiteJLY »

Mel46 wrote:I have read somewhere else on this forum that someone bought a 120/70-14 front tire, mounted it backwards on the rear, and went riding. I think he found that the air box was rubbing so he tied it up to get enough clearance. You will probably have to consider that. Here is the thread I think I read that tire swap on.

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
I am riding the current version of Honda PCX which is using wider tyres front and rear. The sizes that I stated are the standard sizes.
WhiteJLY
Malaysia
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Unfortunately, I see your problem. I have checked multiple sources online, and all of them show the MCG 120/70-14 as a front tire. The new PCX has that size on the rear and 100/80-14 as the front tire. Trying to find tires for the new PCX may be a problem until Michelin starts producing them for the general public.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There are two 120/70-14 MCG tyres available, the front is 120/70-14 55S and the rear is 120/70-14 61P

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-deta ... r-tl-tt-rf
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WhiteJLY »

Thank you so much guys
WhiteJLY
Malaysia
WhiteJLY
Regular User
Regular User

Post by WhiteJLY »

I can't find MCG for my PCX, no one seems to have them in stock. Even the main distributor don't have the sizes that I wanted.

Found Pirelli Angel Scooter, changed both ends. I am happy with their grip.
WhiteJLY
Malaysia
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Too bad that store/website in the UK doesn't ship to Singapore. Maybe you can send an email to Michelin district headquarters and ask if these tires will be made available in your area, or if not, where you might be able to inquire about them. If they are on the new PCX I would bet they are in the local area where those bikes are manufactured. You may be doing the investigating for the rest of us, since I am sure there are others who would love to swap out their rear tire for one in the new size.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

When I asked Honda mech herein Thailand, he said I could use the 120/70 on my rear but I should take note that the contact patch on the road will be lesser due to the old pcx narrower wheel of 2.75. The pcx 2019 has 3.15 wide wheel, as far as I can remember. Narrow wheel will squeeze the tire so the contact patch becomes less.

Question

Im currently 27,000 kms on my pilotstreet and it's still far from reaching the tires wear marks, one tough rubber this one. Should I wait for the tires to reach its wear bars at least,or should I now think about changing it since it has been 2 years old tires now?
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I sent an email to Michelin corporate and asked when the new size tires will be made available publicly, especially those for the newest PCX. Their answer, for everyone's interest, was: "They will be available in the June time frame."

I hope this helps any of you who either have the newest PCX OR you would like to swap out your rear tire for the new, wider MCG. :P
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

alx123 wrote:Im currently 27,000 kms on my pilotstreet and it's still far from reaching the tires wear marks, one tough rubber this one. Should I wait for the tires to reach its wear bars at least,or should I now think about changing it since it has been 2 years old tires now?
Change it just before the wear bars are level with the tread.
No need to change based on two years.
Industry usually recommends five years.
The date of manufacture is usually moulded into the sidewall.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

Interesting read so far. I've only owned my PCX since last summer, and only have about 1,500 miles on the stock tires. At this rate I probably will be trading in the scooter for something else before wearing out the tires. It sounds like cost is relatively low when compared with motorcycle tires. I would not even attempt to remove the wheels myself and try to mount new tires. When I bought new tires this past Fall for my 3 year old Goldwing, it ended up costing around $500 total, so scooter tire cost seems like nothing.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

vito wrote:Interesting read so far. I've only owned my PCX since last summer, and only have about 1,500 miles on the stock tires. At this rate I probably will be trading in the scooter for something else before wearing out the tires. It sounds like cost is relatively low when compared with motorcycle tires. I would not even attempt to remove the wheels myself and try to mount new tires. When I bought new tires this past Fall for my 3 year old Goldwing, it ended up costing around $500 total, so scooter tire cost seems like nothing.

Maybe don’t take the PCX to the place you took your bike?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

gn2 wrote:
alx123 wrote:Im currently 27,000 kms on my pilotstreet and it's still far from reaching the tires wear marks, one tough rubber this one. Should I wait for the tires to reach its wear bars at least,or should I now think about changing it since it has been 2 years old tires now?
Change it just before the wear bars are level with the tread.
No need to change based on two years.
Industry usually recommends five years.
The date of manufacture is usually moulded into the sidewall.
+1