Ideas for riding in cool weather, and looking good?

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Ideas for riding in cool weather, and looking good?

Post by pattomike »

It is almost warm enough to ride here in Boise, Idaho. Today's high was in the upper 50s. I think 65 degrees is about where I think it is warm enough to ride. In the bicycling community, I am what's known as a "Fred". I don't wear professional attire, and just throw on a pair of cargo shorts and a t-shirt, which results in sneers from the professionally-attired bicycling enthusiasts decked out in their with their spandex shorts and specialized tops (a more condescending community of people you will not find). I am pretty much the same with my scooter attire. When it's chilly outside I just wear a winter coat and a scarf. But this year I want to look good. I went to a motorcycle accessory store today and looked at they had, and the salesmen pointed me towards "base" wear? Do you know what that is? Is it something you wear under your clothes, specifically with motorcycle riding in mind. They also had a neck warmer which I think would look much better than wearing a scarf. But I didn't buy anything today because I need to learn more about it. What do you wear in cool weather? Are you a Fred, or do you wear cool weather gear specifically designed for motorcycle riding? I am not one to wear protective gear, with the exception of a helmet. In the summer, I ride wearing a t-shirt. Thank you!
Here is the item they had for the upper body, it is called "Freeze-out". It looks like a jacket, but it is worn under your clothes.
Attachments
freeze_out_warmr_zip_gilet_black_grey_750x750.jpg
freeze_out_warmr_zip_gilet_black_grey_750x750.jpg (74.09 KiB) Viewed 4569 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Ideas for riding in cool weather, and looking good?

Post by GeorgeSK »

Buy it! I got the Freeze-out long johns to start, and the are GREAT! regular, cozy long pants, but with a wind resistant front. The wind-proofing is remarkable. Fabulous under our Joe Rocket Ion ants down to at least 40 F. We liked them so much that I have gotten the glove liners (add at least ten degrees to your regular cold season gloves) and the gillet that you have pictured. I wear it as you describe, just like an extra jacket under the liner of my regular scoot jacket. The Admiral got the undershirt version and wears that as a true base layer and loves it.

The pieces are pretty short money - we could not be happier.

BTW - nice to see you back!
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

thanks for your reply. I guess I will have to buy the Freeze-out product. I searched every major department store over the past two days for base clothing that adds warmth, and found nothing. Well I actually did find some in Kohl's. It was a product called Climate Smart, I think. But they had no large sizes left. They had just a few small and medium sizes on the clearance shelf.
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

What do you wear for your scooter jacket? I was looking for a windbreaker today, but I'm not paying $50 for a windbreaker.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

I spent pretty good money on a mesh riding jacket with "three season" liner (a Rev'it Tornado - I got it during the winter at a pretty good price, but not as good as my wife did on hers a year and a half later when the style changed). I've been using it for five years, and figure it still has lots of years left and that it was money well spent. I don't really care how I look, but I expect I actually look pretty OK. More importantly, I'm very comfortable and reasonably well protected.

Look on Revzilla, Cycle Gear, and other places and see if you can find something that does not break the bank. Go to some local place tomorrow and see what is on their sale rack. Once you start riding with some protection, you will feel a bit naked without it.

I would not spend 50 clams for a windbreaker either. But $125-150 for something that will keep my skin on if there is an incident seems like a small price to pay, especially if it lasts 5-7 years. You don't have to drop 6 bills at Aerostitch to get OK protection.

Sorry to sound preachy, but I'm a bit of an old guy with no interest in any more pain and healing time than necessary.

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

I just found this: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe ... ion-jacket

Seems like a reasonable price for far more than a windbreaker.

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Ah, if you want to look good while riding......you'll need to get a maxi of some sort, or a motorcycle.
Clothes won't help us small scooter riders look anything but dopey.

Fish
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pattomike »

Thanks but anything over $20 is out of my price range at the moment. I am trying to piece together my wardrobe of choice as cheaply as possible. I found a cold weather base layer top at Sportsmen Warehouse in the clearance isle for $11. A nice thick cotton snap button shirt that wears like a jacket, and a mildly insulated windbreaker at the thrift store for $11. Now I just need a base layer for under my jeans. Oh you can get preachy all you want, but just know you are wasting you're breath. I'm 59 years old and don't really care whether anyone thinks I should wear protective clothing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You know, my wife "cheaped out" on her riding gear and it cost her dearly when we had our accident. It only takes one accident to either pay for the protective jacket you wear or pay a down payment on the hospital bill. After all, scooters don't go fast enough to get in accidents, do they?? At 45 mph she went down on her shoulder, and $75,000 later she realized that wearing a protective jacket is cost effective.

We both have $200 Tourmaster reflective mesh jackets. I wore mine that day and it did its job quite well. I still wear it when I ride. It is a 3 season jacket, so I can take layers out of it as it gets warmer. The other day I just put on a sweatshirt and left the inner layers of the jacket at home. As the day warmed up I eventually removed my sweatshirt and just had my long sleeve tee shirt on under my mesh jacket.

But scooters don't have accidents, so I shouldn't have to be concerned about safety, should I??

https://www.revzilla.com/tour-master-cl ... shed=false
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

But scooters don't have accidents, so I shouldn't have to be concerned about safety, should I??

Had to smile and agree with your comment. I've had two offs since I have owned the PCX and both were at less than 5km per hour. Both times my protective gear and armour prevented me from harm, with no damage to my titanium knee. My helmet and jacket show the scars from those low speed offs, not me. Obviously higher speed crashes are going to cause serious injury as you're aware Mel, but your riding gear certainly prevented a much worse outcome.

A friend of mine was killed on a stationary bicycle when the bike toppled over and he hit his head on the gutter. He was wearing a helmet but his head hit the gutter at an angle parallel to the grooves in the helmet. When your time's up it's up, but that's no reason to bring it on earlier.

There is no such thing as too much safety gear. 8) 8) 8)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Pattomike - I get it if you are trying to keep costs way down. May I suggest at least hunting through thrift stores in search of a leather jacket? Obviously a leather jacket is about as cool as you can look, yet would give you some protection.

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Pull up Craigslist Boise and look under motorcycle parts. You will find used jackets. Some are still to expensive, but there are some that are quite reasonable.

https://boise.craigslist.org/search/mpa?s=120
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well there you are!
pattomike, "You asked us" remember? Folks are trying to help, they're concerned, they care.
They Know, I know the importance of wearing proper attire while riding. (Even on a bicycle, hello?)

Some of us are not in the position to spend money either, you're not alone. We're talking about safety now, about being responsible, about you caring about you and those that love you. Have a heart, and care back. Looking cool is secondary. IF it should all come together...That's Cool!

You're 59 okay, (wish I was) but Age has Nothing to do with wearing Protection, and It can be had at all price points. Mel steered you to craigslist, George to thrift stores...both excellent suggestions. I've Been there done that (I know you like that last statement ;)

Please re-think, Consider all suggestions, "Riders" Know What They're Talking About. From experience or not, They Know. Even I know ;)
Thrift stores are stocked daily, check them as often as as possible. Same with Craigslist, keep checking. It ain't coming to you...you gotta go to it. Make it happen, and Please...Live to Ride (<more than a saying).

Me, I still roll pennies. Take That to the Bank! I do. Proud to.
Good Luck, that's all you'll hear from me
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I'll roll pennies once my penny jar is full, and I am not afraid to say it! I also have a regular change jar, but my wife keeps stealing from it, so it may never get full. :lol: :geek:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If you want to keep costs down just layer up with one or more extra t-shirts?

Or pop a jumper on :lol:
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

bought a pair of joe rocket heated gloves there not cheap 145 bucks they have rechargeable battries i have 40 below zero boots but needed something for my hands for this winter
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

My wife use Fly Ignitor electric gloves - same idea and price point. I don't think the would offer quite so much protection in the event of a real accident as a true motorcycle glove, but they should give enough, even if they give their electric life in the process. I've used them a couple of times, and they are quite nice - they give a couple of hours on high, and far more on a medium or low setting.

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

Look on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. There is always someone looking to get out of riding and you can find plenty of reasonable if not dirt cheap nice stuff. I’ve done it 2x already and finally picked up the tour master 3 layer jacket that works perfect for all seasons. Don’t skimp on NOT buying protective gear, your skin and bones will thank you if you ever do go down.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

$20 budget is way too low to talk about motorcycle gear...

I wear a 7 y.o. three season windshear motorcycle jacket and it's been ok. It wasn't expensive, something like 100$ while on sale but it sure helps to make me feel more protected.

I have a pair of cortech sequoia pants, but realized they are a pain in the summer and only have two shallow pockets. I would like to upgrade to something more comfortable and protective, as well as practical.

I also think that spending money on protective gear makes a lot of sense. I value health pretty high, so I would rather devote my fudns towards that than many other options.

I have good gloves, vice 2.0 by cortech, but they are 6 y.o. and i am looking for an upgrade, as these are a little too tight and are very sunburnt.

I like the gear to look attractive through mainly being a hi-viz. My other criteria is protection, practicality and of course price.

Hope this answers your questions.

Amazon is a good place to shop for just about anything.
Docscooter2010
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: PCX Black

Post by Docscooter2010 »

Pattomike “” As a 56 year old scooter rider myself , I must agree with most of the posts , get yourself an armoured bike jacket at least . Beg , steal or borrow one . Got knocked my push bike 5 years ago at a roundabout doing no more than 10mph , but got bumped into oncoming traffic . Couldn’t use my hands for a week because of gravel rash , yeah get some decent gloves as well . Hate to think of anyone getting knocked off a scooter at any speed , because it’s gonna hurt . Please try and get yourself protected.