Battery charging - a few questions

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Battery charging - a few questions

Post by iceman »

I have an Optimate 6 charger (quite expensive) which suggests it's good for motorcycle as well as car batteries, all 12V and up to 5A max (in stages including many maintenance cycles and modes if needed). It also will trickle charge once the battery is ok.
Now my battery is fine, but I thought I would try plugging it to the charger just to see what it thinks of it. My question is one of slightly higher possilbe amps, 5A instead of nominal 0.8 max all the time, and if the charger goes to 13-14V for periods of time can that harm the ECU?
I known people connect trickle chargers, but this beasty is one of the better chargers but I am not sure how good it will be with the tiny PCX battery.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Battery charging - a few questions

Post by GeorgeSK »

I've been using an Optimate 3 for years. It works great. I think Optimate knows what it is doing, and if they say your good, I expect you are good.

CAn power even get to the ECU if the key out of the ignition?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Check it after an hour of charging, I'll bet you it won't be charging 5a, with all the different optimate stages, I'm sure it comes down as % of charge increases, And stabilizes at a much lower current charge.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Your alternator puts out more than 14V (hopefully) so no problem.
I have a 48V mobility scooter and it's 'smart' charger starts at 55V +- and
tapers down to maintain.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

"my battery is fine"

So leave it the <bleep> alone!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Yes GN2, it seems fine now but it's 5 years old out in all weathers so I thought I would check / recondition it at some point and started pondering what charger to use. I can sell the un-used Optimate 6 (costs over £100) and be left with £70 after Ebay charges and buy one of the cheap Aldi/Lidl £13 ones for occasional charging if needed.
New batteries can be bought for £40 now, which are almost like the original in performance should that be neccesary. I measured my battery this morning soon after arriving home from work, ignition off and it measured 13.6V which is very good.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The battery will be fine till you break it.
Only charger it needs is in the scooter already.
There's a reason they're described as "maintenance free"
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The only time that I put my charger on my bikes is to maintain them during storage in the winter. Batteries by their natural lose some charge just sitting on a shelf. If you are not going to use your bike for awhile, or if it is cold outside, connect a trickle charger to the battery.

The only time that I have seen the need for a "real" battery charger has been when my lawn Tractor battery died. Then I needed to fully charge it because I had not driven it enough for it to fully recharge the battery.

On a bike, if you use the bike for a lot of short trips in which you have to restart it many times, it may not run long enough to recoup the charges used to start the engine. Then it would be a good idea at the end of the day to put it on a trickle charger.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

so you could get a JUMP START from another battery IF your battery was dead

fascinated to see in this video that after connecting the red lead to the positive terminal of your dead battery you do NOT connect the black lead to negative terminal which I always thought would be the obvious way to go in fact I have done that on jump starts before and they worked

this guy says NO , instead connect the black lead to a metal surface (much better?)
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

halluinoid wrote:so you could get a JUMP START from another battery IF your battery was dead

fascinated to see in this video that after connecting the red lead to the positive terminal of your dead battery you do NOT connect the black lead to negative terminal which I always thought would be the obvious way to go in fact I have done that on jump starts before and they worked

this guy says NO , instead connect the black lead to a metal surface (much better?)

Who wouldn’t believe some guy on the internet?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

When I turn my key to ignition on,lights on my battery reads 11.6 v.It starts up fine,but wondering if this is a weak battery.Should it be reading 12 + volts with lights on not running.?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

When is the engine is not on ,yet the accessories are energized and the bike is lit up, it should be reading somewhere between 12.4 and 12.6 to be 100% full.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Thanks,I am getting 11.8 v( accessories on ) before starting.Going to replace it..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Thanks,I am getting 11.8 v( accessories on ) before starting.Going to replace it..

Why? You said it starts fine.
DaveMudance
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by DaveMudance »

easyrider wrote:Thanks,I am getting 11.8 v( accessories on ) before starting.Going to replace it..

You thought of going Lithium????

https://tinyurl.com/vgj3enc
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Yes, it cranks fine but when a battery shows signs of weakness I don't want it to go out at an inconvenient time. Batteries for this bike are so cheap why risk or wait for failure. lithium are nice but too expensive. I can get 3-4 normal batteries for one lithium.. Not cost effective for me.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Lithium batteries are not %100 reliable - they also die especially if they are over charged or for some reason drop below minumum voltage by too far a margin. Applies to all Lithium even in small devices. For the price, as mentioned it does not seem worth it as a good normal PCX battery will last ages.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

When you say 5 amp charger, that says to me that you need to know exactly how much power your charger CAN put out, apart from different voltage requirements of now five different battery designs that are being sold to our market today.

If you own a car, tractor, cycle, or scooter, etc, you ought to buy an AC-DC current meter or amprobe. On low DC amperage scale, clamp the arms one at a time: around the positive and negative cables when the engine is running on center stand and occasionally measure what the 305 watt PCX AC generator is capable of putting out. (Diodes rectify 3 phase AC to 13 volts DC) Right after boosting off a dead battery is a good time that should show how much current the AC generator can put into the battery. Remember those values.

Most scooter batteries charge at 0.4 - 0.5 amperes, tolerating briefly 2 amperes (when battery is flat) I am expressing here my fear that a good battery can be hurt or even destroyed if charging rates do not remain in that zone recommended by the manufacturer. I can't comment on 20 different brands of chargers that are out there. Cheap ones will fry batteries. Some of the ones run by computer chips protect batteries quite well.
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

you you wrote:
halluinoid wrote:so you could get a JUMP START from another battery IF your battery was dead

Who wouldn’t believe some guy on the internet?
==============================================================
People have been boosting 6 and 12 and 24 volt batteries at the terminals for a century. The idea is that old flooded batteries produce excess hydrogen when charged at high rates (watch golf cart batteries charge some time) and a spark around concentrated hydrogen and oxygen occasionally results in a battery blowing up, like maybe 12 batteries a year in the US because people do stupid things. I have been boosting batteries off at the terminals for 55 years. My cars and motorcycles just start even at 19 degrees F You can do either. If you have a solid, clean connection at the engine block, it will work fine. Sealed batteries have taken away that hydrogen buildup fear so it is largely a non issue today. BUT flooded plate batteries still need proper venting. IF your battery has a vinyl hose, vent and route it like you should !
smrbike
Year: 2016

Post by smrbike »

Battery to Battery
Red to Red
Black to Black

BTW I saw an alien yesterday so it must be true, it is now on the internet.
In the marine industry it is called Dock Talk - translated (Bravo Sierra)

Simple battery to battery
If the battery ground is no good, the black to metal WILL NOT WORK. It wouold still be an open circuit!

Simple battery to battery
Any Questions?

The only opinions are which (red or black) first.
Simple - Red
Now: '16 PCX150, '13 CB1100
Still-To-Do: Life, ...
Prior: '70s CB450, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
First: '60s Honda 50 or 90