This is me!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

This is me!

Post by RobV »

I've just joined the forum. I'm in my late 50s, semi-retired. I live & ride in Melbourne Australia. My cruiser was stolen & I've always loved scooters so bought a red 2012 PCX150. As much as I loved my cruiser I'd forgotten how much fun riding can be. The PCX is light, nimble, fun and ridiculously economical - even compared with similarly sized scooters. It's got the legs to do a dash down the freeway if necessary and its ability to weave between (stationary) traffic means although it's only got 1/5 of the cruiser's HP it gets me across town quicker! I love it!

This forum has already be an invaluable source of information to me & I'm looking forward to being part of it.
Packed for trip into the hills (about 300Km)
Packed for trip into the hills (about 300Km)
PCX.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: This is me!

Post by Jge64 »

I rode 1000cc plus bikes all my life, Went across the United States and back -twice-, and just got a scooter A few years ago to go around the neighborhood. It didn’t take more than a few rides to become hooked, to the lack of weight and nimbleness of the PCX. Yeah, you give up some really nice experiences like highway high-speed sweepers on a big bike, but what you gain is the ride to the corner 7-Eleven and back is now fun, as opposed to a chore on a big bike. I’ll never go back. As a matter of fact I just upped from a 150 to a 300, I’m really convinced for a single rider, the 300 is the sweet spot in the scooter experience.

The PCX/forza/Xmax look is also a favorite of mine because they look like small bikes with large wheels, instead of the big butt/small wheel Vespa look. Not a fan…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Yes,I agree the 300 is the sweet spot .Still nimble enough for local maneuvering and powerful enough for the hills ,highways ,and vigorous cross winds.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This forum has already be an invaluable source of information to me & I'm looking forward to being part of it.
Yes . . . the PCX is more nimble and a blast to ride. Glad it's all working out for you and the folks on the forum are great people. Welcome! :geek:
I’m really convinced for a single rider, the 300 is the sweet spot in the scooter experience.
For sure . . . for sure! :D

Today I did 20 mile rides on my KLR and Bandit 1200 just to burn gas. I've been leaning on my Zuma and XMax so much I rarely ever use the bikes anymore. That said ethanol doesn't last forever. I do use Startron fuel additive but at the end of the day I've basically got 11 gallons of gas between the two bike tanks sitting around all the time going stale if I don't ride. Plus the batteries need to recharge . . .. It's also not a good idea to let the gaskets dry out or the carbs sit.

Looking forward I'm starting to drool for another 150.

Having another "get on and go" machine with a small gas tank sounds good. I miss the PCX. I see where the 2019 is updated for comfort. I may have to make a trip to the Honda dealer to see if it's better than the 2017 I had. The wheels, tires, engine, frame, and gauge packaged are all updated.

But the video I saw today of the new ADV 150 at the Tokyo Motor Show yesterday looks mighty fine too. The seat looks similar to the PCX but somehow I think it looks a bit longer and sculpted slightly different. Hard to tell. I posted the vid in "Other Bikes" but here it is again.

Look at those rear shocks . . . and how about the exhaust and windscreen! Nice machine. No idea on price if it comes to the U.S.. 8)

Just to be fair I did like the SMax also. I found the seat to be more comfortable for me than my PCX and it does have more pep. However it does not have the charging port or motorcycle type look. Decisions . . . decisions.

I'm not in a rush to do anything right now but I just would rather ride what I have regularly with purpose in lieu of riding what I have just to burn gas to keep things in shape. It's nice to have older classic machines but as the old school folks used to say, "You gotta keep 'em warm". Letting the machines sit idle for long periods of time is never a wise choice.

Well . . . time to eat.

Just my two cents and hip hip hooray for the 300's!!!!

Twist and go and rock and roll!!!! :lol:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Hey, the seat's hump looks like it's moved back a bit ...... am I seeing that right ?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

RobV,

I notice that you have your yellow bag held in place by what looks like a bungee cord. Fair warning that they don't hold well where you have them attached. I did a modification to my PCX that you should be able to do, with some disassembling of the bike. You may find this interesting, and it is very useful. I use them all the time to carry over-sized loads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2065&hilit=Straps
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

the ADV 150 is a bit bigger than the pcx honda been really quiet about there plans hope its coming here
Cycleruss
Year: 2016
Color: Silver

Post by Cycleruss »

I love my wife's PCX150.
But I wanted a little more power. I have had larger scooters before but they were bulky heavy and too hard to remove plastic when servicing.(Yamaha Majesty 400, and Suzuki Burgman 650 )After working on my son's Genuine Hooligan 170i which is so simple to remove body work to get at the motor and set the valves. I looked at Kymco. It too is easy to remove plastic to get to motor.
So I bought a 2014 Kymco People Gti300. It has 16 inch wheels front and rear!
It's not as smooth and refined like the Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha. But it goes real good.
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I have no regrets about stepping up to a 300, my prior scooters were PCX125 and SYM HD200.

The only time I really feel the weight of a 300 is pushing it around the garage, but the good news is all the 300s coming out now are lighter than the first gen Forza 300.

I don't plan on ever selling mine.
:geek:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome Rob! Looks like you're kitted out and ready for adventure. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
RobV

Post by RobV »

Mel46 wrote:RobV,

I notice that you have your yellow bag held in place by what looks like a bungee cord. Fair warning that they don't hold well where you have them attached. I did a modification to my PCX that you should be able to do, with some disassembling of the bike. You may find this interesting, and it is very useful. I use them all the time to carry over-sized loads.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2065&hilit=Straps
The round trip was about 300km and the yellow bag stayed secure. The bungee cords had big chunky plastic ends which held the hand rail quite well. It could do with some better luggage tie down points though. I'll look into the straps thing.
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

I don't use bungee cords anymore...I've had them let go too often. Then again, I have a friend who lost his eye to a bungee hook years ago.
Just my humble opinion, but I think there are better alternatives.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

Rob have you been out on your PCX lately? for a 7 year old bike it looks pretty immaculate , any grazes or dents yet? :P

what happened about your cruiser? how did it get stolen? :x
2018 Honda Forza 300cc
DaveMudance
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by DaveMudance »

Eh up,

Hello and welcome from me (in the UK)!!!!
RobV

Post by RobV »

halluinoid wrote:Rob have you been out on your PCX lately? for a 7 year old bike it looks pretty immaculate , any grazes or dents yet? :P

what happened about your cruiser? how did it get stolen? :x
PCX has been dropped by previous owner, scrapes down the left side. Other than that it's been garaged all its life and it had only done 10K Km. I've done an extra 5000 since getting it. Cruiser was parked outside my partner's bedroom window on the curb. Came home from the pub at 11pm and it was still there. At 8 am it was gone. Even with one pannier missing it would still have weighted about 300kg. There were no marks on the grass from a dolly (front wheel) and it was under a tree so hard to use a crane. They must have been big fellas - maybe good thing we didn't hear them. They didn't even wake the dog.
halluinoid
Regular User
Regular User
Color: blue

Post by halluinoid »

awful to hear that Rob, did you get any update from the Police?

my previous motorcycle was garaged all the time but around the same time that I got my Forza I ended up with a small inheritance and spent in on a new car which is now IN THE GARAGE, so Forza gets parked up down the side of the house :x
2018 Honda Forza 300cc