What Rules?

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

What Rules?

Post by Old Grinner »

The way people are driving today can really prompt one to ask themselves "whatever happened to the rules of the road and driver etiquette?"

There are those who say the number of people occupying the roads will double by 2040. That's a lot . . .. Hold onto your helmet! :o

More congestion? More delays? More people in a hurry and running late? More people driving who should have given it up years ago and even more on some kind of medication . . . let alone just plain screwed up or texting? More people driving into buildings? More pedestrians being hit? More Parks Sausages Mom please?

Oh. . . skip the food right now . . . but check this out! o_O

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: What Rules?

Post by fish »

Russia -- every one of 'em?
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I thought the Atlanta drivers were bad, mainly because they are rude and aggressive, some even running the red lights just because they were in a hurry. However, many of the drivers in that video don't seem to even know how to drive. Forget about stop signs and red lights. They apparantly don't know what they mean. I got the distinct impression that many of those drivers should not have been given a driver's license in the first place.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Russia -- every one of 'em?
Fish
Could be . . . seems so . . . or one of the neighboring countries perhaps? It's noted on the page that nobody was fatally injured and to take it as a learning tool. Just goes to show stupidity is world-wide. Wait until the skies start becoming really crowded with drones. Drones for small delivery services they say. Put another shrimp on the BBQ. LOL!!! :lol:

I thought the Atlanta drivers were bad, mainly because they are rude and aggressive, some even running the red lights just because they were in a hurry. However, many of the drivers in that video don't seem to even know how to drive. Forget about stop signs and red lights. They apparantly don't know what they mean. I got the distinct impression that many of those drivers should not have been given a driver's license in the first place.
The ones that scare me the most are the ones who just don't seem to be effected by the err of their ways. It's like they lack empathy or something. They look at you like the light is on but nobody's home. Stack that on a situation awareness deficit and see why the big "sell" for self driving vehicles continues to move forward. :?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Something a little closer to home . . . vintage madness . . . bless 'em all. :D

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I remember that movie! Fun to watch, but those people were crazy...though there was a reason for it.

I dont think there is a valid reason for the way people drive these days...texting, talking on the phone, turning around in their seat so they can yell at their kids, ...and looking at their GPS while driving instead of the road.

Speaking off...we passed a guy yesterday who was doing 20 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was talking on the phone. One hand on the phone at his ear, the other hand waving in the air while he was yelling while occasionally looking at his phone. No eyes on the road, and no hands on the wheel!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Speaking off...we passed a guy yesterday who was doing 20 mph in a 45 mph zone. He was talking on the phone. One hand on the phone at his ear, the other hand waving in the air while he was yelling while occasionally looking at his phone. No eyes on the road, and no hands on the wheel!
I still don't understand how we haven't solved the problem of people behind the wheel being able to use a distracting device. In the days of the popular CB radios there was a lot less traffic but somehow it seemed to be accepted as OK. Maybe there wasn't as many accidents caused by their usage back then? It would make an interesting study . . .. :geek:

Today things are different and there's about 300% more competition for space. :o

Maybe if there was some way to create an electronic counter measure to tie in a phone # with GPS tracking and if it shows use during movement over a certain speed (in the driver's seat) then the phone owners have to pay a fine . . . get a bill in the mail from their local PD or something. In traffic jams where people are going less than 5 MPH or stop and go they may need to phone ahead they will be late or something. I can understand that. They are almost at a standstill anyways . . . as long as they aren't foolish enough to get totally engrossed in the call and bang into the vehicle in front of them. o_O

Oh . . . and the motor vehicle would have to be equipped with some kind of facial recognition device that would place the phone owner/user in the driver's seat during that time it was being used. No sense for a "non-driver" getting fined or sent to prison for multiple infractions. It could also double as a "theft prevention" device. No show of the face means no start up and an alert sent to the owner via phone message/text or whatever. The vehicle/phone owner could have predetermined drivers facial images programmed into the vehicle security system. Just my two cents of sense. :geek:

Not knowing much (only 2 cents worth) I guess it would make getting cell phones and cars a bit more complicated but even if it saves one life it's worth it. Or think of all the kids who get seriously injured or worse each year because of their parents or the driver's ignorance. Pedestrians are being struck at an alarming rate also.

Every time I see a dead squirrel or possum or raccoon or skunk etc. . . . in the road it makes me wonder if the vehicle operator could have slowed down and avoided them if they were paying attention to the road better. I often see vehicles just keep moving right along when it's very clear an animal is trying to cross the road and they could have slowed down to give it a chance if they wanted to. :(

I'm done . . . chores to do . . . have a nice day! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The driver on the phone might be a bigger issue because of the hands free setup in most cars now. It is possible to maintain concentration on the road if you don't have to look anywhere other than the road. Drivers have been talking to passengers while driving ever since cars came into existence. The problem occurs when the phone is in the driver's hand.

I watched a lady driving an almost brand new Mercedes drift over the lines multiple times because she was on the phone, with the phone up to her ear most of the time except when she looked at the screen...text perhaps?? In any case, you can bet the Mercedes has hands free capabilities. She obviously was not using it. How do you set up safeguards for drivers who won't use the safeguards that were already set up previously??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150