Does anyone have LED accent lights?

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

I'm looking to maybe add some LED accent lights like these Electropods http://www.amazon.com/Street-LK-3460-St ... opods+pink in pink

Does anyone have them? They look pretty easy to install.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Does anyone have LED accent lights?

Post by you you »

ms_sparky wrote:I'm looking to maybe add some LED accent lights like these Electropods http://www.amazon.com/Street-LK-3460-St ... opods+pink in pink

Does anyone have them? They look pretty easy to install.
Pink??
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

My bike is black and the pink looks good. They're pretty. ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ms_sparky wrote:My bike is black and the pink looks good. They're pretty. ;)
I suppose, if you are a gurl....
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

you you wrote:
The last time I looked, I was. :o
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ms_sparky wrote:
you you wrote:
The last time I looked, I was. :o

If you need a hand checking....:)
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

If you need a hand checking....:)
I'm good, thanks for the offer. Just help with LEDs for now. I ordered them, so I'll post pictures (of the bike) after I install them. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever installed them, and if so did they use a switch? It looks like they just wire straight to the battery, but i'm sure i'll figure it out when the arrive.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

you you wrote: If you need a hand checking...
You're You're a funny guy, but this wasn't funny.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

ms_sparky wrote: I'll post pictures (of the bike) after I install them. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever installed them, and if so did they use a switch? It looks like they just wire straight to the battery,
Looking forward to seeing the pics. After I suggested they might be a good idea for visibility, my mechanic has been begging to trick my bike with LEDs. In addition to strip LEDs, he also suggested upgrading brake lights that flash, and installing turn signals and running lights in all the front reflectors (like the non-USA bikes have). It all sounds fun, but I'm not sure I'm ready to become a neon parade.

Good question about installing a switch for your lights.
Would they be a needless draw on your battery during bright sunlight when they will be barely visible?
Do they use so little power that it is insignificant?
What is the lifespan of LEDs? Do you want to save them for when they are needed?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Urbanian wrote:
Hardly serious. Arizona quite a bus ride away
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

Urbanian wrote:
ms_sparky wrote: I'll post pictures (of the bike) after I install them. I was just wondering if anyone here has ever installed them, and if so did they use a switch? It looks like they just wire straight to the battery,
Looking forward to seeing the pics. After I suggested they might be a good idea for visibility, my mechanic has been begging to trick my bike with LEDs. In addition to strip LEDs, he also suggested upgrading brake lights that flash, and installing turn signals and running lights in all the front reflectors (like the non-USA bikes have). It all sounds fun, but I'm not sure I'm ready to become a neon parade.

Good question about installing a switch for your lights.
Would they be a needless draw on your battery during bright sunlight when they will be barely visible?
Do they use so little power that it is insignificant?
What is the lifespan of LEDs? Do you want to save them for when they are needed?
All good questions, and I share your concern about being a "neon parade." I just want to be seen. There are a lot of high profile vehicles where I live (trucks, Hummers, SUVs) and I need to stand out better. Had the white PCX150 been available, I probably would have gotten that.
I think Street FX makes a switch especially for these types of lights. I wouldn't run them during the daytime either.
It looks like the current draw is about 160-480 mA, which is very low. It seems like the LEDs last a long time.
I like the idea of the flashing brake lights and running lights. Please let me know if your mechanic has any information about these.
Thanks! :)
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

you you wrote:
Urbanian wrote:
Hardly serious. Arizona quite a bus ride away
I'm literally laugh out loud at this. :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

LEDs usually last almost indefinitely, they last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

They don't draw enough current to be even remotely a problem.

Are you planning on wiring directly to the battery? If so, make sure you include a fuse so you don't accidentally cause an electrical fire if a short happens. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

maddiedog wrote:LEDs usually last almost indefinitely, they last a lot longer than incandescent bulbs.

They don't draw enough current to be even remotely a problem.

Are you planning on wiring directly to the battery? If so, make sure you include a fuse so you don't accidentally cause an electrical fire if a short happens. :)
Wiring to the battery or a switch is the biggest question I have. I'm sure I'll use a switch so I can control them. I want to be noticed, but NOT for being "the scooter-on-fire girl." ;)
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

There's no problem at all with wiring directly to the battery as long as you use a fuse. The lights will only draw as much current as they need.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

Here's the install diagram for anyone curious:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/installinfo/s ... nstall.pdf
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ms_sparky wrote:Here's the install diagram for anyone curious:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/installinfo/s ... nstall.pdf
Just use a fuse and switch and make sure you get the polarity right (LEDs are really fussy about a correct positive and negative connection) and you will be okay. Post some pictures, and do a "how to"? You'll be the first
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ms_sparky wrote: I'm literally laugh out loud at this. :lol:
Tfft, a normal person

(you can get dressed now :D )
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

ms_sparky wrote: I was just wondering if anyone here has ever installed them, and if so did they use a switch? It looks like they just wire straight to the battery, but i'm sure i'll figure it out when the arrive.
You have done pushed me over the edge. I paid a visit to my mechanic this evening, and told him I wanna be lit!

He's gonna put strips of red LEDs behind the front wheel, and shining down onto the engine. He suggested hiding a marine switch near the back of the seat so it can be switched easily and discreetly.
ms_sparky

Post by ms_sparky »

You have done pushed me over the edge. I paid a visit to my mechanic this evening, and told him I wanna be lit!

He's gonna put strips of red LEDs behind the front wheel, and shining down onto the engine. He suggested hiding a marine switch near the back of the seat so it can be switched easily and discreetly.
Yes! Way to bow to peer pressure Urbanian! I joke of course, but I'm excited to see how it turns out. Be sure to post pictures!