I couldn't do it

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: I couldn't do it

Post by Mel46 »

Though I probably won't be taking any more long rides, there are plenty of country roads out there that can take you through areas you haven't been to before. When we were traveling the back roads we carried a real map on my tunnel bag. When we would stop for a break I could look over the map and see where various roads would lead us. It was kind of fun. If the road became difficult (gravel roads are a bit difficult on a PCX) we would pull over to see if these was a way around it. Nothing says that you must follow your original route.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Post by jburner »

GeorgeSK wrote:You can avoid highways with Google maps, but that is about it. I messed around with the website version, and it is really quite good, with lots of check boxes to tailor the kind of ride you want to take. I need to see how it will do planning a loop. Definitely worth a bookmark. Thanks Gangly!
Apple Maps does the same thing. It's a setting inside the Map App. I use it to avoid interstate hwys.
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Hey all,

Many wise words in this topic; I had never been on a motorbike, till I bought my PCX age 42 (now on my second one).

I do intend to get a "real" motorbike, thinking MT07 or Duke 790.

Would really like a petrol bike before everything goes electric but, I know in my heart I will come back to a scooter.

Working in the city centre and living three miles away, I have the pleasure of passing through rush hour traffic every morning and evening.

I'd like to do some motorway riding (not part of my daily commute), without the terror of being passed by huge articulated lorries (semi trucks?) that power past me on steep hills.

Don't ever want to get rid of my PCX (she's so pretty).

How many bikes do you need?

Always, just one more :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Blazinby wrote:I do intend to get a "real" motorbike, thinking MT07 or Duke 790.
Real motorbike looks like this.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by riding@100mpg »

that is a wonderful story! I to, got rid of a scooter about a year and half ago (2015 pcx150) and regretted the day after, so when I was visiting a dealer last July they happened to have a 2013 pcx150 they just took in trade with only 2700 miles at 1500. dollars so I am happy once again. I think you made a good decicion
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

Post by vito »

Saying a scooter is better than a motorcycle, or vice versa, is like saying a cold beer is better than sex. Two different things. I love my PCX150 and find it a hoot to ride. But I also love my Honda Goldwing. Riding two up works a lot better on the Wing. The scooter can never give me the rush that I get when I “hit the ton” on my motorcycle. Going off for the day with my wife, and having plenty of room to take along rain gear, just in case, and still be able to stow away our jackets and helmets when we get to where we were going, is not something that the PCX is made for. But zipping around town, parking anywhere, and getting 100 mpg is a lot easier on the scoot than the Goldwing. The real answer is: have one of each, or more than one if you can afford it and have the room to keep them. And one thing more in favor of a motorcycle: working the gears and throttle as you roar through the twisting is a special kind of heaven.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

What Vito said...exactly.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by outlander »

I nearly traded in my Mustang for a Corvette Z06. Same thing happened, I couldn't do it. That I was low balled a trade in value.
vito
Regular User
Regular User
Color: silver

Post by vito »

I'll know I am REALLY old when I have to trade in my two wheel rides for a four wheel ride. But at 76 I feel confident that I have at least a few years left riding my Goldwing, then a few more after that with just the scooter, and then maybe will switch to something like a Miata for fun.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh Yeah! This one:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (101.51 KiB) Viewed 984 times
2019 Mazda Miata MX-5 RF Grand Tourer(ing)
Any color would make Me Smile :D 8)
But...can we get in and out? Only one way to find out. Hel-lo Mazda! Testing 1,2,3
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Howsabout the Mazda but Italian and stylish...?

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Oh Yeah! This one:
image.jpeg
2019 Mazda Miata MX-5 RF Grand Tourer(ing)
Any color would make Me Smile :D 8)
But...can we get in and out? Only one way to find out. Hel-lo Mazda! Testing 1,2,3

I test drove a convertible. Much better than the outgoing model. Just too small for me. Bought a BRZ instead as it was just small rather than too small :lol:

Go for it. Lot of the car for the money.

The Fiats are too expensive over here.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sooo...2yous, you Did! buy the Subaru BRZ - NICE! What color? Any pics? One perhaps?

A friend in Florida has a BRZ and loves it. But not my pick. Now it's cabin noise that really wrecks it for me with any vehicle. Constant road noise gets taxing. Younger, I could care less, being older I don't want a headache (those come and go as it is).
Define Noise? Ask me tomorrow, I may say the total opposite. Very Fickle 'bout this. Why oh why do I love cars so much. I never grew out of "that!" And....
2yous please clarify, you like the convertible Miata better than hard (reclining)top?

To All, Why aren't I related to Jay Leno? I do Imagine myself walking into his Garage(s). Prepared, I tote a towel (drooling)...I walk. Car to car sliding my fingers over each hood (uh no, Jay's Not there. He's fetching keys to his '67 Goat) :D Yes, I watch "Jay Leno's Garage" on TV. "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" 8)

gn2, I really like the Fiat 124, and that blue is perfect (blue wise)! Just a block away sits a white one. I may introduce myself to him one day to get a Close look. Sure Catches my eye Every time I pass it. Truth is always in the test ride. Too Noisy? Jittery? Top down, those noises escape. Say Hel-lo to Life outside the box 8) new noises enter. Earplugs! I never owned a convertible. Wanted one but never bought. Afraid of SOB's that would to tear it up. Damit! I "let them" control me. Sad.

Now...If I sell my scoot :o the garage becomes available, I can tuck the "chosen one" in.
Let's not go there just yet!! The Spider is handsome with very clean lines. Mature looking. Like Us ;)

The Miata has held my heart since it's U.S. arrival (1989-1990). That's along time ago. And I drove it. A friend's red convertible. That did it! My hands are still on the wheel.
To me: It's a car for Pete's sake!!
"Let it Go, Let it Go...."
Ha! I still say No
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Sorry to the op, I'm guilty. I truly took a turn off topic. Cars glorious cars, I'll pass the blame on them
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Sooo...2yous, you Did! buy the Subaru BRZ - NICE! What color? Any pics? One perhaps?

A friend in Florida has a BRZ and loves it. But not my pick. Now it's cabin noise that really wrecks it for me with any vehicle. Constant road noise gets taxing. Younger, I could care less, being older I don't want a headache (those come and go as it is).
Define Noise? Ask me tomorrow, I may say the total opposite. Very Fickle 'bout this. Why oh why do I love cars so much. I never grew out of "that!" And....
2yous please clarify, you like the convertible Miata better than hard (reclining)top?

To All, Why aren't I related to Jay Leno? I do Imagine myself walking into his Garage(s). Prepared, I tote a towel (drooling)...I walk. Car to car sliding my fingers over each hood (uh no, Jay's Not there. He's fetching keys to his '67 Goat) :D Yes, I watch "Jay Leno's Garage" on TV. "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" 8)

gn2, I really like the Fiat 124, and that blue is perfect (blue wise)! Just a block away sits a white one. I may introduce myself to him one day to get a Close look. Sure Catches my eye Every time I pass it. Truth is always in the test ride. Too Noisy? Jittery? Top down, those noises escape. Say Hel-lo to Life outside the box 8) new noises enter. Earplugs! I never owned a convertible. Wanted one but never bought. Afraid of SOB's that would to tear it up. Damit! I "let them" control me. Sad.

Now...If I sell my scoot :o the garage becomes available, I can tuck the "chosen one" in.
Let's not go there just yet!! The Spider is handsome with very clean lines. Mature looking. Like Us ;)

The Miata has held my heart since it's U.S. arrival (1989-1990). That's along time ago. And I drove it. A friend's red convertible. That did it! My hands are still on the wheel.
Ha! I still say No

The BRZ. Was it the piped in engine noise? That is easily got rid of. There is a plug in the glove compartment that blocks that by popping it under the foot controls. I got rid of the whole system. Stupid it is. If it’s the road tyre noise I agree. There isn’t a whole lot of soundproofing. Less noisy tyres might help. it’s white metallic I’ll try and dig out a picture. It’s probably a keeper as I can’t think of anything to replace it.

I only test drove the convertible. It was lovely tbh. Top quality. I don’t think you will be disappointed with either. Let us know how it goes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Here you go.
Attachments
7830BD60-BC99-484B-AACC-0FE9ECEF6A43.jpeg
7830BD60-BC99-484B-AACC-0FE9ECEF6A43.jpeg (85.86 KiB) Viewed 944 times
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

One of my nephews spent a couple years building full roll cages for Subaru owners who like to push the limits.
zroger73
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by zroger73 »

I can so relate to this thread!

Earlier this year, I bought a new Honda VFR800. It was more bike than I wanted, but I couldn't pass it up for the price. It was thrilling to ride, but didn't work very well for short trips to the grocery store or through neighborhoods. I decided to buy a used PCX, but after two sellers flaked out I bought a new one. I then found a used one at a price I couldn't refuse, so I picked up a second PCX. I intended to sell the second one to my brother so we could ride together, but he lost his job and I ended up trading it for a new Grom. A few months later, the Grom got totaled when a distracted driver rear-ended me while riding home from work. I didn't replace the Grom and sold the VFR.

I decided a couple of weeks ago that a new Miata was in order, so I started my search. I found two 2019 MX-5 Miata RF Grand Touring GT-S's (what a mouthful) within a reasonable driving distance - one red and one white. While decided on a color, the red one sold. When I went to buy the white one, it had sold as well. Those were the last two of their kind in my area. The 2020's won't start arriving until February, so that's a dead endeavor for now.

The BRZ doesn't appeal to me - it reminds me too much of underpowered sporty coupes that were popular back in the 80's-90's and I don't like the engine or fixed roof. I prefer the appearance, form factor, and size of the MX-5. Every year at press events, the MX-5 is one of the first vehicles I always enjoy driving - even among much more powerful and expensive cars.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Sooo...2yous, you Did! buy the Subaru BRZ - NICE! What color? Any pics? One perhaps?

Ha! I still say No

So have you taken a test drive yet?
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

WhiteNoise wrote: The Miata has held my heart since it's U.S. arrival (1989-1990). That's along time ago. And I drove it. A friend's red convertible. That did it! My hands are still on the wheel.
Ha! I still say No
Always loved my Miata. Wished I'd never sold it, but it was getting hard to get in and out of!!
Attachments
MVC-086F (Small).JPG
MVC-086F (Small).JPG (61.68 KiB) Viewed 876 times
MVC-085F (Small).JPG
MVC-085F (Small).JPG (42.45 KiB) Viewed 876 times