Dr Pulley 20x15 (SR2015) 14g sliders for 2015 PCX?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Loht Bai
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Dr Pulley 20x15 (SR2015) 14g sliders for 2015 PCX?

Post by Loht Bai »

A friend recommended Dr. Pulley sliders, 20x15 (SR2015) 14g variator weights, for better acceleration for my 2015 PCX - would these sliders produce the desired effect? If not, what would you recommend? Also, what are the O.E.M. size rollers for the 2015 PCX?
Loht Bai

Re: Dr Pulley 20x15 (SR2015) 14g sliders for 2015 PCX?

Post by Loht Bai »

... sorry, I forgot to type: 2015 PCX 150 :|
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

13g is the sweet spot
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

My issue with Dr P sliders is that yes, a lighter weight did increase acceleration - but only because I was running around with more RPM's at a given road speed. Like riding a motorcycle in 3rd gear, instead of 4th gear. Some are OK with that - for the gain in acceleration.
It annoyed me, so went up a weight.
Fish
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

Thanx Jge64 and Fish!
So 13g is 'the sweet spot' but if I notice out-of-the-ordinary variator performance I gradually increase the weights until all is acceptable.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think when you talk about sliders vs rollers the sliders should probably be 14gm while rollers should be 13gm, so yes 14gm sliders will work well on your 2015 PCX
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

Thanx! I was really hoping to learn about how to calculate the approx slider weights and the approx roller weights for a scooter. What size rollers are you using? What was the OEM roller size?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have 13 gram NCY rollers along with the NCY variator and drive face (on both of my bikes). I think the original rollers were 18 gram. Someone more familiar with the 2013 model may know differently, but that is my understanding. Sliders act differently than rollers do. That why others have suggested going up a little on slider weights.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eddieskillz
Color: Black

Post by Eddieskillz »

Mel46 wrote:I have 13 gram NCY rollers along with the NCY variator and drive face (on both of my bikes). I think the original rollers were 18 gram. Someone more familiar with the 2013 model may know differently, but that is my understanding. Sliders act differently than rollers do. That why others have suggested going up a little on slider weights.
Hello Mel46,
Could you tell me which ncy variator you have on yours and where i can purchase? 1st post, new member. I have a 2013 Black Pcx 150. With only 200 miles on it lol. Just started to enjoy as of late. I'm looking to change the rollers to 13gm and the variator.
Thank you in advance
Eddie
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

A 2013 PCX with only 200 miles on the clock!!? Nice!
Mel46, can you describe the performance benefits that you get from the NYC variator vs the PCX's OEM variator?
Do you guys know where I can find the OEM roller specs for the PCX line up?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Loht Bai, I have a Service Manual for my particular year, so that is how I know the specs. If you are going to do any work yourself it is necessary to have a service manual.

As far as benefits of the NCY variator and 13 gram rollers go, each of these two items plays a different role in helping the PCX have better performance.

The rollers by themselves set your "takeoff" from a stand still. The original rollers are set for economy, which means that your bike will slowly accelerate from a stop in order to give you the best fuel economy. The 13 gram rollers will give you a jump on the rest of the traffic with a quicker "off the line" acceleration. It will not affect your top end, but instead will allow you to reach the top end quicker.

The NCY variator AND drive face (they should be purchased and installed together for best performance gains) will allow the belt to travel farther out thus giving you a bit more top end. I have a 2013 model and it gained another 10 mph with them installed.

Eddieskillz
At 200 miles your bike has not even seated the original parts yet, so switching out the variator may or may not do its magic on your bike yet. It takes close to 2,000 miles before everything is working together. Also, you need to change the oil at 600 miles because as the engine parts seat it will leave little metal particles in the oil that will drop to the bottom, so make sure you pull the screen as well when you do change the oil.

Also, are these parts the original ones installed at the factory back in 2012 - 2013?? That would make the belt 6 years old now. They do get dry rot, and start disintegrating after a while if not used. You will need to replace the belt as soon as you can. Something to think about.

As for where to buy NCY items, Corsportusa.com has everything you need. It states it is for 2010+ . That means it will work on almost every generation of PCX (I don't know enough about the newest generation to say if it works on those, but I have not heard otherwise so far.)

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... ulley.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18182-201 ... -face.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-2010-honda

I hope I have answered everyone's questions. If I missed one, let me know. I will try to determine if I know enough to help with it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eddieskillz

Post by Eddieskillz »

Mel46 wrote:Loht Bai, I have a Service Manual for my particular year, so that is how I know the specs. If you are going to do any work yourself it is necessary to have a service manual.

As far as benefits of the NCY variator and 13 gram rollers go, each of these two items plays a different role in helping the PCX have better performance.

The rollers by themselves set your "takeoff" from a stand still. The original rollers are set for economy, which means that your bike will slowly accelerate from a stop in order to give you the best fuel economy. The 13 gram rollers will give you a jump on the rest of the traffic with a quicker "off the line" acceleration. It will not affect your top end, but instead will allow you to reach the top end quicker.

The NCY variator AND drive face (they should be purchased and installed together for best performance gains) will allow the belt to travel farther out thus giving you a bit more top end. I have a 2013 model and it gained another 10 mph with them installed.

Eddieskillz
At 200 miles your bike has not even seated the original parts yet, so switching out the variator may or may not do its magic on your bike yet. It takes close to 2,000 miles before everything is working together. Also, you need to change the oil at 600 miles because as the engine parts seat it will leave little metal particles in the oil that will drop to the bottom, so make sure you pull the screen as well when you do change the oil.

Also, are these parts the original ones installed at the factory back in 2012 - 2013?? That would make the belt 6 years old now. They do get dry rot, and start disintegrating after a while if not used. You will need to replace the belt as soon as you can. Something to think about.

As for where to buy NCY items, Corsportusa.com has everything you need. It states it is for 2010+ . That means it will work on almost every generation of PCX (I don't know enough about the newest generation to say if it works on those, but I have not heard otherwise so far.)

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... ulley.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18182-201 ... -face.html
https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-2010-honda

I hope I have answered everyone's questions. If I missed one, let me know. I will try to determine if I know enough to help with it.
Thank you very much for the info. Yeah def going to change the belt when i install the new parts. Thanks again!
Loht Bai

Post by Loht Bai »

Mel46 wrote:Loht Bai, I have a Service Manual for my particular year, so that is how I know the specs. If you are going to do any work yourself it is necessary to have a service manual.

The NCY variator AND drive face (they should be purchased and installed together for best performance gains) will allow the belt to travel farther out thus giving you a bit more top end. I have a 2013 model and it gained another 10 mph with them installed .......

Got it! Muchas gracias for breaking down the differences between the roles of the variator and roller weights! I do have a copy of this PCX 150 service manual:
PCX 150 2013-2017 Service manual.jpg
PCX 150 2013-2017 Service manual.jpg (135.39 KiB) Viewed 1632 times
Is this appropriate or do you know of a better one? I did see one PCX 150 service manual with nice color pictures but they were charging a $19.xx yearly 'usage' fee or a $75.xx unlimited lifetime fee.....I passed. I just changed my drive belt at the 10,200 mile mark. Upon inspection, it was showing cracks / tears at the V-grooves all around the belt. A Honda drive belt cost me ~$19. From your experience, would the improved performance make it worth my $64 + 32 shipping cost to buy and install a Kevlar drive belt?
Have you upgraded your front forks with a YSS upgrade kit?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have not upgraded my front forks, though I have read nothing but good reports on it. I just don't have the time and energy to take on such a job now. Supposedly with both front and rear suspension upgraded the PCX handles much more securely. There is a thread somewhere on this forum in which the individual gave a brief overview of what they did. I will see if I can locate it for you, if someone else here does not find it first.

As far a belts are concerned, I have read many, many reports of upgrades to the bike and it seems that we all agree that the oem belt is fine for the variator upgrade, though you will need to inspect it ever so often to make sure it is wearing properly. I have an oem belt on mine...both of mine.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4877&hilit=Front+fork+upgrade

Here is one of the upgrade threads. There are others as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eddieskillz

Post by Eddieskillz »

Mel46 wrote:I have not upgraded my front forks, though I have read nothing but good reports on it. I just don't have the time and energy to take on such a job now. Supposedly with both front and rear suspension upgraded the PCX handles much more securely. There is a thread somewhere on this forum in which the individual gave a brief overview of what they did. I will see if I can locate it for you, if someone else here does not find it first.

As far a belts are concerned, I have read many, many reports of upgrades to the bike and it seems that we all agree that the oem belt is fine for the variator upgrade, though you will need to inspect it ever so often to make sure it is wearing properly. I have an oem belt on mine...both of mine.

Hey Mel46

Would you have the correct OEM Drive Belt Part# by chance? Im finding a couple diff Part#'s

Thanks Again
Eddie
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

This should help you. This is the best place to search for parts, with some of the best prices on the web. You just need to know what the Honda folks call each section. All of the parts places use the same catalog.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... riven-face

Item #7 (23100-KZY-701)

Here is a parts catalog that MIGHT help you to know the area names.
Parts Catalog pcx150_2nd Ed.PDF
(7.82 MiB) Downloaded 68 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eddieskillz

Post by Eddieskillz »

Mel46 wrote:This should help you. This is the best place to search for parts, with some of the best prices on the web. You just need to know what the Honda folks call each section. All of the parts places use the same catalog.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... riven-face

Item #7 (23100-KZY-701)

Here is a parts catalog that MIGHT help you to know the area names.
Parts Catalog pcx150_2nd Ed.PDF
Morning Mel46,

Can you possibly tell me the proper way to install the NCY 13gm Roller Weights? I purchased same items you shared. Variator, 13gm Roller Weights & Aluminum Drive Face. All NCY.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Eddie
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Eddie,
If you are unsure of yourself when you start taking apart your PCX this is what I do.
Put the new parts beside the old ones, leaving the original rollers in the original variator. You should then be able to see how they went in originally. If you pulled the variator without thinking about how it should go back together, read the below thread. It should help. I think it has a video too.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=10483
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by RobV »

Mel46 wrote:I have 13 gram NCY rollers along with the NCY variator and drive face (on both of my bikes). I think the original rollers were 18 gram. Someone more familiar with the 2013 model may know differently, but that is my understanding. Sliders act differently than rollers do. That why others have suggested going up a little on slider weights.
I disagree. Sliders work the same as rollers. Rollers "roll" for a little while then develop a flat spot and slide rather than roll. They still work but it changes their diameter & you lose your top ratios. If you have a tacho on your scooter then an increase in RPM wile cruising is usually an indicator that your rollers need replacing. The sliders are triangular & designed to slide, ie the sliding surface is big rather than the edge of a circle. They don't necessarily work better or differently, but they'll last much longer. I bought a 400 burgman with 26K km on the dial. According to the books it was on its second set of rollers. I put in a set of Dr Pulley Sliders & did another 40,000km without any signs of wear.