Bumpy Pavement or Expansion Joints on Highways

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Bumpy Pavement or Expansion Joints on Highways

Post by Old Grinner »

Just a reminder to be aware of pavement joints or expansion joints that may be quite pronounced while you are out riding. Extreme hot or cold weather conditions can be a contributor.

Lately I've noticed that on the highways the bumps are getting more "bumpier'.

Not that long ago I could rely on a fairly smooth road contact surface but not any longer.

The best way for me to describe it is if you can think of what a mole tunnel looks like on a lawn and duplicate it in concrete as a low level hurdle your suspension has to absorb every so many feet moving along at 65 MPH. It actually can get you airborne . . . although briefly. Great for the spine. :lol:

This is a bit of an extreme example but you get the idea . . .. :?

jburner
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX
Color: Black

Re: Bumpy Pavement or Expansion Joints on Highways

Post by jburner »

That first one was an almost perfect execution of the jump.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I just got back from a long trip and the interstate highways were deplorable,chunks ,holes,potholes,and yes the expansion joints were bigger than ever.Just doesnt get repairs or maintenance anymore.Maybe we can use more nukes and missiles instead and of course walls are always a good idea.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Think about all of the work that has to go into keeping these miles and miles of roads safe. Then think about all that money that could be better spent in a politician's pocket...after all what is needed more, a safe highway or a new yacht for your favorite politician?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Sometimes rail transportation has to be delayed or shut down due to extreme heat conditions. It seriously effects the metal . . .. o_O

Another unintended consequence of carbon emissions and climate change starring us right in the face. :o

https://mashable.com/article/train-trac ... e-warping/
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Interesting...I had not thought that heat would affect modern steel. I know that highways and sidewalks are affected. I wonder how these hot summers are going to affect the high speed rail systems in Europe and Asia as it gets even hotter? Will they stop all together?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Mel46 wrote:Think about all of the work that has to go into keeping these miles and miles of roads safe. Then think about all that money that could be better spent in a politician's pocket...after all what is needed more, a safe highway or a new yacht for your favorite politician?
Thats a good point.As I recently drove across this country it is obvious the infrastructure is crumbling right before our eyes and nothing is being done to maintain this great country.Bridge concrete piers are spalling ,steel structures need prep and painting, sewer and water systems are old and crumbling roads are cracked and crumbling with pot holes and major joint deterioration is evident in separating segments. Every city at 5 pm is in traffic grid lock with no plans to expand roads or adding metro commuter rail systems. They( Politicians) better start taking this seriously as our population is expanding dramatically or there is going to be one huge bill to pay down the road .. .. Taxpayers get ready to open your wallet..... Its coming big time !!!Wake up, damn it! Walls ($$$) my ass. roads and bridges yes !!!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know what is going on in your area, but in my area the gridlock has been solved. Here is what the politicians did.

1. They built a new sports stadium that no one voted on.
2. They funneled funds that had been voted on for more public parks into item #1, without public input.
3. They took a lane from the federal highway and turned it into a high speed toll way for those going to item #1.
4. They cut back some other services to help finance item #1.
5. They expanded a different public freeway into the "inner circle" of downtown Atlanta with exits into already crowded auxiliary roads, and made it a tollway as well.

...and that is how you solve the rush hour crunch. Now the affluent can get where they are going quicker. The rest of us?? Sorry. Cough up the bucks and you too can get to work faster...or to your favorite sporting event, if it is held in the new stadium. Those games and events still being held in the downtown stadium??...still a nightmare to get to and from.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

Good point Mel.. this is happening all over. Our leader wants to turn all the interstates into toll roads to pay for you know what ?? Thank God it was shot down..at least for the moment.Dont hold your breath though.