nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!

Post by fish »

BOTH of my roadside patch kits were in my Kymco.
Problem was I was 27 miles from home on my Piaggio, when I picked up this ring-shank nail!
The "tell" was a very slight front wobble as it was slowly going down.
Son fetched my Stop&Go Tire Plugger kit for me. Back on the road quickly after that.

Have had perfect results with this kit before. No plans to do anything else with the tire - unless it leaks.

Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: nail in Maxxis - no patch kit!

Post by Mel46 »

Nice patch kit! Was it difficult to use? The patch itself looks great. How did you air the tire back up?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:Nice patch kit! Was it difficult to use? The patch itself looks great. How did you air the tire back up?
Not inexpensive - but if miles from home on a winter day want a kit that gets me home - and warm again.
Easy instructions.
I carry a small Slime electric pump to reinflate tire..
Have used it on both scoots. No leaks.
Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Nice trim on the plug. You did a proper job. 8)

I've got basically the same "Plugger Kit" with some extras. The CO2 inflation kit hasn't been used yet. They look like plain old CO2 cartridges.

Fortunately for me the first time I used the plug kit I had a real slow leak and was able to do the job at home. I just hooked up my remote inflator pump to my car battery and ran the hose over to the bike.

Knock on wood I haven't gotten a flat since. :roll:

The important thing is you got through safely to ride another day! :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have 3...count them T-H-R-E-E... 12 volt air compressors. That statement should give me comfort. Here is the problem. Not a single one has an accurate gauge, so I can not tell if any of the air is actually going into the tire.

Recently I brought my wife's bike around from the basement. I knew right away that the tires were low. They just didn't feel right. I rode the bike slowly around the block in our subdivision so that I could get a better feel for how low they were. I knew by the time I reached our driveway again that there wasn't much in either tire. The bike had not been ridden for quite some time.

I took out the portable compressor and tried to pump them up using a jump-start battery for the power. The compressor gauge said I had 100 psi in the tires! I pulled out my hand held tire gauge and it didn't register at all. I worked on the tires for 15 minutes before calling my neighbor to ask if I could use his 120 vac compressor. With it, we pumped up the tires in no time. Both tires had 15 psi when we started.

Now it is just right, and it rides quite nicely, so I have cleaned it up and put it back in the basement. I will finish cleaning my bike at some point and then swap bikes again. I ride less and less, so at least one of the bikes will be sold at some point...probably next Spring, since riding season is winding down this year.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mark2260
Year: 2019
Color: Blue

Post by Mark2260 »

I have a compressor and Camel brand sticky strings with the fitting tools under my seat, my old CB500F had 2 string repairs in the rear tyre with a plug also for 3000 miles, no problem, I have the stop and go kit also but have not tried it.
When i changed the tyre on the 500 I tried pulling the strings of from the inside, no chance vulcanized and stuck fast, a permanent repair in my eyes, also have one in my rear car tyre at the moment, that also has been in a few k.
As for a gauge, simple pencil gauge under seat too.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocky-Creek-Co ... B00S7ZZDEI
YBR125 07, CG125 07, CBR300R 15, CB500F 66, current: Forza 300 19
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

So Fish, while you were fixing your flat, where was that cat? Did you check the telephone poles? That cat knows all and sees all. When you ride into town, it already knows what you have done so far.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150